Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: About custom tags (Read 3631 times) previous topic - next topic

About custom tags

Excuse my ignorance but... I need some advice to add some custom tags to the files in my foobar library.
I'd like to add the following fields (and maybe some more in the future) to my mp3's:
1) country,
2) vinyl rip (yes, no),
3) type of release (Anthology, Compilation, Album, Single, Live perf.... etc), 
4) some technical data about the original source (MFSL, DCC, Remastered...)
5) some text (comments, info about the author...etc)

I've read the foo tags list, but it's not clear to me where should I'd add these things.
Do you know which tags should I write these items to?
And... how?... I mean... what do you'd use to tag thousands of files.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

About custom tags

Reply #1
Just go to properties, double click the blank area and create a tag.

About custom tags

Reply #2
When you're talking about "custom tags" as the name suggest.. it's a custom tags! so go ahead and venture into the properties page like kanak said and fire away whatever you have in mind. The only thing that i see fit in some kind of a "standard" is (5) should fit in to COMMENT tag.

And "How" you asked... , there are a lot of way I can think of, Tagger window that came with foo_cwb_hooks might come in handy and also facet, albumlist,etc. Then again, this type of task is boil down to "How much effort  do you have?" anyway and not really about technical issue.

If you're going to do it then I wish you to have good luck and the end result are worth your time

About custom tags

Reply #3
Thanks to both!
More specifically ... I wanted to know if those specific tags already exists in foobar, or I have to go my own route, risking some incompatibilities in the future.
In other terms... I'm not a casual music listener... I'm building a (hopefully) long term, well structured music collection for the years to come.
I just want to be sure not to drift away too much from the 'official' tag standards, as to avoid as much as possible the risk of future incompatibilities within foobar itself or with other eventual players.

About custom tags

Reply #5
For 1 & 3 I use:
RELEASECOUNTRY : GB / DE / etc
RELEASESTATUS : official / promo / bootleg
RELEASETYPE : album / single / demo / live / etc

As the MusicBrainz tagger writes those.

For 2 I've seen:
VINYL : 1 / 0 ( or present / not present )

But I'm not sure how many people use it though.

About custom tags

Reply #6
Basically, the tags are arbitrary.  You can name them whatever you want, and put whatever you want in them (for the most part).  You don't have to worry about any incompatibilities with future versions of foobar.  Now, if you want MP3 player to be able to read them, you have to comply with whatever naming scheme they have, but again - it's arbitrary.  If you just want extra stuff to display in foobar, go for it.

About custom tags

Reply #7
Thank you very much for your information!!!!
I'm about to start tagging like there's no tomorrow!