Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: near-field studio monitors for hi-fi usage (Read 6283 times) previous topic - next topic

near-field studio monitors for hi-fi usage

i'm looking for a new stereo/surround system.
the initial idea was getting good fronts + a tube amp and connecting it to the pre-amp outputs of a yamaha surround reciever + adding decent rears and a good center and maybe a sub.
i took my dad (which has an home recording studio and also sells studio equipment) to hear some hi-fi speakers and eventually he told me that because those setups are flat i should get studio monitors (which we can get at dealer price).
is it a good idea to get studio monitors instead of hi-fi speakers for my intended usage ?
can i get good hi-fi/ht results with passive near-field monitors (such as dynaudio bm 6) connected to a tube amp? (with listening distance of around 10 feet).
my audio source for 5.1 is a pc connected with s/pdif to a yamaha rxv795 receiver and for stereo i have a studio grade dac from my dad's studio.

Reply #1
AFAIK studio monitors tend to be flat, accurate, detailed and revealing, whereas tube amps typically introduce certain kind of distortion which makes music sound more smooth and mellow. Kind of opposite, isn't it? So the question is which way you really want to go: fidelity or nice sound?
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Reply #2
AFAIK studio monitors tend to be flat, accurate, detailed and revealing, whereas tube amps typically introduce certain kind of distortion which makes music sound more smooth and mellow. Kind of opposite, isn't it? So the question is which way you really want to go: fidelity or nice sound?

can near field studio monitors be enjoyable for music listening (with a stereo hi-fi amp, maybe tubes) and for home theater with a 5.1 receiver or hi-fi speakers are much better for this application ?

Reply #3
> can near field studio monitors be enjoyable for music listening (with a stereo
> hi-fi amp, maybe tubes) and for home theater with a 5.1 receiver or hi-fi
> speakers are much better for this application ?

For non-audiophiles, above an often fairly modest threshold, enjoyment of music is not significantly impaired by deficiencies in the reproduction equipment or signal. However, if your enjoyment, or worse your sense of status and worth, is tied up in your audio equipment then this may well not apply. Your desire to use valve amplifiers rather than cheaper and more accurate solid state amplifiers sent signals to the group that your values may be more aligned with those of audiophiles rather than non-audiophiles.

The answer to your question is a qualified yes. The qualification depending on what amplifiers and speakers mean to you.

Reply #4
can near field studio monitors be enjoyable for music listening

Some people say no - because monitors reveal details, while these listeners prefer a more laid-back and unintrusive presentation of music. Other say yes - including me, because, if the violinist decided to produce a harsh and aggresive note, I want it to be harsh and aggresive rather than smoothed out.  I value the transparency and neutrality of studio monitors, which allows me to pick up background layers of a complex piece.

But it is really a matter of taste, and of your need to use the equipment to impress your friends vs. to satisfy your personal needs.

It's you who should make a decision here, and you are lucky because in your case the decision may easily be an informed one: why don't you go to your dad's studio with a few CD's and check if you like this kind of sound.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".