Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack vs 32bit (Read 13510 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack vs 32bit

Hi,
I got these strange results:

Source:
WAV  48kHz / 32bit  size  1,44 GB

WavPack x6:
998 MB

FLAC 8:
698 MB

-------------------------------
The same source at 24 bit:

WavPack x6:
645 MB

FLAC 8:
654 MB

Is it normal?

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #1
Looks like some of the 32 bits were always zero throughout the file.

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #2
In foobar2000 settings max. supported bitdepth for FLAC is 24. And I cannot manually encode 32bit files with FLAC. So it seems like FLAC compresses (dithered?) 24-bit wav file.

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #3
In foobar2000 settings max. supported bitdepth for FLAC is 24. And I cannot manually encode 32bit files with FLAC. So it seems like FLAC compresses (dithered?) 24-bit wav file.

You are right!  It is 24 bit. 

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #4
You are right.

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #5
foobar is doing that, flac.exe never changes the bit depth because that's not lossless.

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #6
foobar is doing that, flac.exe never changes the bit depth because that's not lossless.

That's what I tried to say... Fb2k determines that flac supports no more than 24bit and so have to convert resolution from 32 to 24 bit before feeding data to flac.

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #9
"32" in foobar2000 is 32-bit floating-point.

Yet another regression in functionality? In Foobar 0.8 one is able to choose between 32 bits fixed point and float.

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #10
"32" in foobar2000 is 32-bit floating-point.

Yet another regression in functionality? In Foobar 0.8 one is able to choose between 32 bits fixed point and float.

No one used that needless functionality, I believe so.

So that's called evolution, as you probably know. Scientists think humans once had a tail ("We thus learn that man is descended from a hairy quadruped furnished with a tail"), so one was able to wag!

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #11
"32" in foobar2000 is 32-bit floating-point. FLAC does only support integer data.

I dont see how that actually makes the flac encoder encode 32bit int or float. Nor does it explain if foobars flac decoder can decode 32bit int or float.. Your statement sounds just like internal workings of foobar on other formats rather than anything to do with flac/foobar supporting 32bit.

From my understanding all of kmixer is based on floats so regardless of what you send it the data will be converted to a float for it's own workings. Picking between a 32bit int and float output is only handy when dealing with crappy drivers like Creative release which dont support float in many cases, unless that has been fixed in the last few years.

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #12
The discussion is about the Diskwriter/Converter not playback.

FLAC v1.2.1 itself does not encode 32-bits, so Foobar has to downconvert.

ERROR: unsupported bits-per-sample 32

BTW, I just checked that Foobar 0.9.5.1 has 8-bit as an option. Do you think it has more use?

WavPack vs 32bit

Reply #13
The discussion is about the Diskwriter/Converter not playback.

FLAC v1.2.1 itself does not encode 32-bits, so Foobar has to downconvert.

ERROR: unsupported bits-per-sample 32

BTW, I just checked that Foobar 0.9.5.1 has 8-bit as an option. Do you think it has more use?

I would rate 8-bit as a lot more useful than 32-bit.