Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can dBpoweramp rip SACDs? (Read 7859 times) previous topic - next topic

Can dBpoweramp rip SACDs?

I know computer optical drives can't playback SACD's in multichannel mode (only the regular CDDA 16-bit 2-channel layer),  But I noticed under the wav settings in CDGrab you can accept default 'as ~source' or specify different surround levels ('surround', '5.1 surround,' '7.1 surround').  Does this mean you can rip SACD (6-channel) cds?

Reply #2
No it will not.

That's what I figured.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to save SACDs for the day when I finally get a SACD box

Reply #3
Well, there's an old-fashioned way.  Run the analog outs into analog in of a good multichannel-input soundcard, capture to some anxiety-allaying format (e.g. 88.2 kHz/24 bit PCM) and you're good to go from there.

Of course, it has to be done in real time, which is inconvenient.  But I've done it for a few 2-channel SACDs.

Reply #4
Organize a worldwide SACD preservation foundation, raise enough funds and purchase this. BTW, are there soundcards capable of recording several SPDIF inputs at once? If the copy is perfect it might be possible to align the channels one by one in software. But it's a pain.

Well, there's an old-fashioned way.

I wonder when will soundcards will start to refuse recording...