Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AC3 output for all Windows sounds (Read 7013 times) previous topic - next topic

AC3 output for all Windows sounds

I call a Audigy 2 Platinum soundcard and a Sony TA-VA777ES amplifier my own. The amp is able to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 and Digital Theatre Sound. When I watch a DVD and leave the AC3 stream unencoded by the soundcard and send it through the optical cable to the amp, I've got real multichannel sound (DD or DTS).

Are there possiblities to get multichannel surround sound of non-AC3 sources? If I select in the Creative Audio HQ menu, that I've got a 4.1 system and optical output, the rear speaker keep quiet.

I think a direct AC3 output would solve this problem. Does anybody know, whether something like this exists for Winamp (ac3 output plugin) or generally for the whole soundoutput? I'm running Windows XP Professional, so it should work with WinNT.

fragtal
I love the moderators.

Reply #1
i don't think such a plugin exists.  it is, however, how the nforce onboard sound does things (encodes to dolby digital on the fly, so that all sounds are 5.1 through the spdif, even games).

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want all my sounds reencoded to another lossy medium before being outputted..  the alternative is to use multiple analog connection to your amp in order to get 5.1 sound from everything.

Reply #2
i run the same kinda thing from my soundmax card. my amp is a str-de445

but there is nothing out there that will make everything 5.1. i tihnk its because all of the sounds in windows and such are 2ch. so there is no reason to decode it to 5.1 and you really cant..
there maybe some kind of software out there that can do it. but when you only have a file that is made for a 2ch output. how can it run in a true 5.1 DD or DTS type of way. if you know what i mean..

Reply #3
Have you tried enabling CMSS (or CMSS2) in EAX console? It upmixes stereo sources.

Reply #4
Have you tried enabling CMSS (or CMSS2) in EAX console? It upmixes stereo sources.

not if you use spdif though.  with spdif you only get stereo unless you are decoding a ac3 stream.

Reply #5
How do I activate CMSS?
I have Soundblaster LIVE! 5.1. and would really like to have stereo upmix for for avi files, with mono or stereo audio stream...
Haven't found a reasonable solution so far.

Reply #6
How do I activate CMSS?
I have Soundblaster LIVE! 5.1. and would really like to have stereo upmix for for avi files, with mono or stereo audio stream...

what about
http://matrix-mixer.sourceforge.net/
? (should be dpl 'compatible')
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #7
How do I activate CMSS?

Which drivers are you using?
For that thing, you need to use hacked Audigy2 Drivers (info here).

Reply #8
Ok. The Matrix Mixer hint was good. That works really good now - with MMP. Doesn't work with BSPlayer. The Matrix Mixer filter doesn't show up under properties during playback - It is using the moonlight odio decoda. WMP uses both in comibnation - and that works, if I choose Dolby ProLogic II (but not with 3/2+LFE)
Does anybody know exactly way?
And how do I stop BSplayer from bitchin' arround?

Reply #9
How do I activate CMSS?

what about
http://matrix-mixer.sourceforge.net/
? (should be dpl 'compatible')

This sounds cool, but I don't understand.  Does it encode the audio to ac3 in realtime or... ?

Reply #10
This sounds cool, but I don't understand.  Does it encode the audio to ac3 in realtime or... ?
no encoding afaik, also not intended for spdif, only for analog connections, but iam not 100% sure.
edit: check this thread http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&t...ht=matrix+mixer
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #11
after looking at that thread, it appears that its for upmixing stereo sources to pro-logic 2..  not useful for those using spdif, but interesting for those with no external that does dpl or dpl2 decoding.