Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Error Message when using USB Connection to Import Music from Turntable (Read 2064 times) previous topic - next topic

Error Message when using USB Connection to Import Music from Turntable

In order to transfer music from LPs, I use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab., Version 3.01 acquired in 2003, which, until recently, was connected through a mini hi-fi system to my Dell 4500 desktop computer using the line-in socket. In order to record and listen at a reasonable level it was necessary to adjust the volume output of the amplifier almost to its upper limit. This was often unsatisfactory and sometimes produced distorted sound.

I have recently acquired a Pro-Ject Phono Box ll pre-amplifier to replace the mini hi-fi system. This device has two outputs, a phono pair and a USB socket. Using the phono sockets, in Windows, I can adjust the recording level using Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices Properties/Audio/Sound Recording for the relevant input device: Soundmax Digital Audio on the desktop. In fact, the Magix program can display the relevant Windows recording control display when the option to record from the turntable is selected. However, if instead I try to use the USB connection, the sound level is excessively high and cannot be adjusted because in this case no recording sound level panel is displayed. The following error message is then shown: "There is a problem with your sound hardware.  To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware."    In fact, there is no such option in my version of Windows and I have clicked on Sounds and Audio Devices Properties instead.    Usually I find that the computer has selected a USB Audio device which is reported as working satisfactorily and I have used the Problem-Solving Wizard to check for any problems without success.

I have also used the same processes with the turntable connected to my Dell Inspiron, with greater success. However, if I connect the phono output from the phono box, the connections must be made to the microphone socket on the Inspiron and the recording level must be set very low. I can also use the USB socket to download from the phono box which gives a reasonable recording level but there are no means to adjust it, because I get the same error message as reported above. It is this latter arrangement that I wish to use because, at the same time, I can use the phono sockets on the phono box to play the music through my domestic amplifying system, which I cannot do from the Inspiron.

Can anyone please tell me how I can ensure that the Recording Control can be displayed when the USB connection is used to record on the Inspiron?

thyde9337

My System:
Dimension 4500, 2.53GHz processor, 512Mb DIMM, Windows XP, 20Gb hard disk, 80Gb hard disk, 500Gb Iomega External hard disk, Roxio CD R/RW, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN, Dell Photo All-in-One printer.
Dimension 4100, 1GHz processor, 256Mb SDRAM, Windows ME, 20Gb hard disk, Adaptec CD R/DW, HP Deskjet 840C, Scanjet 3300c, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN
Inspiron 8600, 1.4 Ghz processor, 512Mb SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40Gb hard disk, Philips CDRW/DVD disk drive, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN Netgear RP614 v2 router.

Error Message when using USB Connection to Import Music from Turntable

Reply #1
I have now found a solution to my problem - I have changed the software I use for recording music via the USB connection.    I now use the free program Audacity which incorporates a routine which can be used to alter the recording level.    Unfortunately, the program does not have a convenient range of facilties for editing the recordings but it can save  in various formats and I normally save the music in WAV files.    For editing, I use my original  program Magix Cleaning Lab. 3.0 which I purchased a number of years ago and this has a wide range of facilities for editing.