Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SDK to create UI Elements for 0.9.5 Default UI? (Read 12748 times) previous topic - next topic

SDK to create UI Elements for 0.9.5 Default UI?

Hello Frank!

I want to program a std ui plugin, too. Where can I find the SDK to build such a plugin?

Thnx.

Wiesl

Reply #1
+1

It will be nice to use Default UI capabilities to fit user-defined dialogs as UI Element.

Reply #2
+2
The author of Lyricist said if there is a SDK of 0.9.5, he would develop a new version of Lyricist for Default UI.
Pacific Moon

Reply #3
+3
Obviously.

Reply #4
Please restrain from "me too" posts.

A SDK will be published as soon as the author decides so.

Reply #5
The UI Element specification is not finished. If we released the new SDK now, people's components using it would most likely need constant updating to keep up with newly added functionality. There's no estimate on when the SDK with UI Element specification included will be out.
Other than that, I'm disappointed with quality of most of third party panels for Columns UI (no disrespect towards musicmusic or his work intended). I'm prioritizing development of my own UI Elements over allowing third parties to make their own, so most people can get what they want out-of-the-box without installing dozens of third-party DLLs.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
Any plans on a lyrics element then? That, and customizable buttons is what I miss the most in the new Default_UI (used panels before).

Reply #7
The UI Element specification is not finished. If we released the new SDK now, people's components using it would most likely need constant updating to keep up with newly added functionality. There's no estimate on when the SDK with UI Element specification included will be out.
Other than that, I'm disappointed with quality of most of third party panels for Columns UI (no disrespect towards musicmusic or his work intended). I'm prioritizing development of my own UI Elements over allowing third parties to make their own, so most people can get what they want out-of-the-box without installing dozens of third-party DLLs.

Can you give a few insight to prepare existing panels code to the future UI Element APIs ?
I suppose externalizing the window creation code is the first step ?

Reply #8
Can you give a few insight to prepare existing panels code to the future UI Element APIs ?
As you can already see from what's included with 0.9.5 installer:
  • Rely on WYSIWYG editing and context menus more than preferences pages as you're not getting any special UI to configure specific instances your element.
  • Keep your settings per-UI-element-instance rather than global / accessible thru external preferences pages, so they're fully exportable with theme files. "Playlist View" preferences page is a good example of what not to do - its interaction with layout import/export is a complete mess, but I couldn't think of a cleaner way to achieve the same.
  • Comply with user's global color/font settings. Don't provide your own color/font settings unless you really must.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #9
A small question:

Will the future SDK  add APIs to access embedded art data (images) ? It would be awesome as I wouldn't have to reinvent the weel for foo_bubble_coverflow.