Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is CD-DA possible on DVD+R? (Read 4363 times) previous topic - next topic

Is CD-DA possible on DVD+R?

Howdy People,
I am wondering if it's possible to burn a DVD fill of normal CD rips? Like is there anyway I could rip something like 6 normal CD's and burn the .wav's on a DVD (with the much larger capicity?)

I'm going to buy a DVD burner soon and it would be a good way to store alot of CD's on a DVD and play without losing the original sound quality.

Cheers 

Reply #1
That should be no problem.
But it will not be a "Red Book (audio CD standard)" compatible disc, so you will probably not be able to play it on a standalone cd/dvd player!

If you simply want to use it for storage, I recommend you take a look at some of the Lossless encoders (Flac, Monkeys Audio etc...). That way you would be able to fit even more audio on a dvd disc.   

Solaris

Reply #2
I already have plans to store all my APE's on DVD+R, I was more looking for a version I could play, like a normal CD.
Cheers

Reply #3
DVD-V doesn't support the 44.1kHz sampling rate of CD, so you can't make a lossless copy that's playable in all players.

DVD-A supports multiples of 44.1kHz (i.e. 88.2kHz, 176.4kHz) but I can't remember if it actually supports 44.1kHz. Possibly not.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
You could look into authoring
DVD-Audio (advantage: 44.1kHz sampling rate allowed; disadvantage, expensive software required, doesn't play in all DVD players) or
DVD-Video with LPCM audio track and as few as possible video information. (advantage: can be done with free software, plays in all DVD players; disadvantage: you need to resample to 48kHz = not completely lossless). An easy (but not free) way to do this is DVD+Audio creator, for alternatives you might want to read doom9 dvd authoring related guides/forums.

Edit:
DVD-A supports multiples of 44.1kHz (i.e. 88.2kHz, 176.4kHz) but I can't remember if it actually supports 44.1kHz. Possibly not.

DVD-A supports 44.1kHz sampling rate for sure.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #5
I tried this once, but unfortunately I couldn't make the chapter changes silent (there was a second or so audio gap between). This is VERY irritating for such albums by ELO, Mike Oldfield, or dance mixes when the music blends into each other.

-
JoNty

Reply #6
@tigre, your DVD-Video idea seems to be the best solution. Would I lose any quality resampling? I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with

What are some names of good DVD-Audio authoring software?

Cheers and Thanks

Reply #7
Would I lose any quality resampling?

Yes.  Although I'm not sure how audible it would be.  With my current sound on my PC, I have to upsample to 48kHz all the time.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #8
@tigre, your DVD-Video idea seems to be the best solution. Would I lose any quality resampling? I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with

Resampling (to higher frequencies) is not completely lossless, mainly because of rounding errors (or dither applied) if the output has the same bit depth as the input, and because of anti-aliasing lowpass filter causing ringing arround the cutoff frequency (for decent 44.1->48kHz resampling, e.g. foobar2000's resampler, that would be ~ 22kHz = completely inaudible under normal circumstances). So the loss in quality will be comparable to the one caused by changing playback volume in digital domain, e.g. by applying replaygain.

On the other hand some cheap CD players might resample 44.1kHz input (e.g. CD playback) to 48kHz internally using who-knows-how-good algorithms before digital-analog conversion, similar to AC'97 based PC soundcards. If you have such a DVD player, resampling to 48kHz (or even 96kHz) might increase playback quality.

BTW: There has been some speculation about this, but I haven't found any reliable information so far - so if anyone with cheap DVD player and decent soundcard wants to test this...

What are some names of good DVD-Audio authoring software?

Discwelder
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello