Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Choosing soundcard for analog output. (Read 4543 times) previous topic - next topic

Choosing soundcard for analog output.

Hi!
Help me to choose a soundcard, please. (I suffer from the quality of my Avance AC 97! ) What I need:
1. Good sound quality. (Enough for PCM and APE files, played on a good hi-fi (maybe someday I’ll change to hi-end) amp and speakers).
2. Analog RCA out is strongly desirable.
3. The cheaper – the better! 

What I don’t want to have (and especially to pay for, because I don’t need it):
1. Any features for games (I don’t play on my computer).
2. Any features for surround.   
3. -||- for DVD or watching video.
4. -||- for headphones.
5. More then two channels.

What may be there, but I don’t need it though, and I prefer not to have it:
1. Any in’s. (Especially I don’t need digital one/ones).
2. Any out’s (except of analog RCA for my amp)
3. Any features for MIDI.
So, I need a good card for namely one aim – to listen to music. That’s all.

Reply #1
This is my favorite analog card, mainly because of its 4ms latency and very flat and transparent rca ins and outs.  it also has the usual spdif ins & outs, rca and optical.      going to be harder to get away from if you also want high-quality analog outs.  anyways...  linkage

http://www.staudio.com/products/dsp24ve/

Reply #2
This is my favorite analog card, mainly because of its 4ms latency and very flat and transparent rca ins and outs.  it also has the usual spdif ins & outs, rca and optical.      going to be harder to get away from if you also want high-quality analog outs.  anyways...  linkage

http://www.staudio.com/products/dsp24ve/

Any good sources you know of (to buy it) in the USA?

BTW, here's a "review" not all that complimentary:

http://www.io.com/~kazushi/audiocard/dsp24ve/

Reply #3
According to measurements in http://audio.rightmark.org, and the other link mentioned, the DSP Value analog output is not as good as other 24/96 cards.

Seems that a very good analog output soundcard is the new M-Audio Revolution, and is just $99. The drawback is that it doesn't have RCA outputs, but consumer mini-jack ones. This shouldn't sound worse, but the conexion is less robust.

Reply #4
I just got a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 and love it... it sounds great, doesn't upsample and has great analog outs...  If $145 isn't too much, that's what I got mine on eBay for.

Reply #5
I just got a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 and love it... it sounds great, doesn't upsample and has great analog outs...  If $145 isn't too much, that's what I got mine on eBay for.

I think it is nearly the same card as TerraTec DMX 6fire LT... and LT is cheaper... not sure.

Reply #6
[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Suitable audio card[/span]

Please advise on suitable audio card with the following specs.  Also recommend if specs are adequate for general encoding/decoding through RCA interface with audio system consisting of separate components (i.e. preamp/amp):
    *  Input A-D w/RCA connectors

*  Output D-A w/RCA connectors

*  16-bit, 44kHz sampling

*  highly stable drivers for Win2000 Pro

*  basic and functional control panel application(s)

*  price range $99 - $149 US[/li]

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Note:  would still need gameport on system[/span]

Reply #7
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 meets the requirements, it's around $150.

Reply #8
Before asking this question I knew that DSP isn't very good, and I wanted Audiophile 2496, but I thought, maybe there is smth  cheaper, for I am short of money now...

Reply #9
So there is no soundcard cheaper then Audiophile which corresponds at least some of my requirements?

edit: typos

Reply #10
The new M-Audio Revolution card is $99-120,  has most of the features,  but without the RCA jacks.

It has 7.1 outputs..  and even supports EAX for gaming..  not that you're probably interested in those features.
But it sorta resembles a cheaper Audiophile card.  Check out the home site,  and other links on here about it.

Reply #11
Also, if you can't get M-Audio in your country, take a look at TerraTec DMX 6fire LT - check www.terratec.net for more info.

Reply #12
Hi !

I am also interested in buying a new soundcard !

I "just" need good quality quality output to connect to my hi-fi system... and RCA jacks would be a good point too 

And I was wandering how goood the quality of a card like a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 was... can you compare it with a good cd player (I aready have a cd-player and don't want to replace it, it is just to have an idea) ?