Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Columns UI: Spectrum Dock (Read 5645 times) previous topic - next topic

Columns UI: Spectrum Dock

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is any way to dock the spectrum in the main window area without the use of a component. Is this possible?

Cheers for any help,

Fluidz

Reply #1
Assuming you're using the default interface and you're referring to the standard spectrum analyzer: Go to menue "View->Layout->Enable Layout editing mode". Now you can replace/add/etc. the UI Elements until the layout of f2k pleases you. If you want only to try this option, then use "Create Scratchbox". This will open a temporary empty f2k-Window.

Reply #2
Assuming you're using the default interface and you're referring to the standard spectrum analyzer: Go to menue "View->Layout->Enable Layout editing mode". Now you can replace/add/etc. the UI Elements until the layout of f2k pleases you. If you want only to try this option, then use "Create Scratchbox". This will open a temporary empty f2k-Window.

There was no option under that name only "Live editing" I checked it and viewed the spectrum and I couldn't dock it into the F2K window, nor could I find any "Create Scratchbox" option under any menu.

Reply #3
no option under that name only "Live editing"

His reply assumes - as noted - that you are using the default user interface. You are not. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say you want to use a viz "without the use of a component". The spectrum analyzer does not need a component to be loaded.

You can insert a viz panel into your layout similar to any another panel in CUI via preferences>Columns UI>Layout

Reply #4
I have been able to add the spectrum as per your help but I cannot position it correctly.

I would like to allign it into the position described above (black box), using Columns UI but I cannot put a horizontal splitter in that position. I have tried absolutely everything and even started a GUI from scratch with no luck at all. Any horizontal splitter I add is forced into a vertical alongside the NG playlist etc....

Any ideas on this one :S

Reply #5

Reply #6
I have been able to add the spectrum as per your help but I cannot position it correctly.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/s...fb2kproblem.png

I would like to allign it into the position described above (black box), using Columns UI but I cannot put a horizontal splitter in that position. I have tried absolutely everything and even started a GUI from scratch with no luck at all. Any horizontal splitter I add is forced into a vertical alongside the NG playlist etc....

Any ideas on this one :S

Haha, I love the track list. Another fellow Anime/Jpop listener!

Anyway, I posted this in the main CUI thread, but it seems another person has gotten tripped up with it.

I suspect the problem endlesslyonline is having is the same exact problem I ran into when I was trying to use CUI for the first time - The horizontal and vertical splitters do opposite things compared to their DUI equivalents.
Where the DUI's "Horizontal Splitter" would immediately insert a horizontal line (thereby splitting the screen vertically,) CUI's "Horizontal Splitter" is its own container that sorts every sub-item horizontally within it.

It took about half an hour of trial and error for me to figure that one out, lol.

Reply #7
Thank-YOU for these Q's!!  I was starting to go crazy noticing the the panels weren't consistent in how they split -- just when I adapted to it in the main UI (apparently named by someone who doesn't have English as a first language, I'd guess), being opposite in definition to what it was saying, (because the direction (vert/horiz) is an adjective to the "inferred" 'object (the space) rather than to the more obvious subject (the splitter) that is doing the splitting.  It's almost Japanese, its so indirect!  :-)

But in English, if one talks about a vertical splitter, most people would think it was a splitter oriented vertically, if they meant the opposite, they need to refer to it as a splitter *of* vertical space (i.e. a horizontally oriented splitting bar)...  Well, just get used to that, and along come a new component that uses the more direct language of adjective describing the position of the subject, rather than some unmentioned 'thing' that is split...

I  think anyone who sat though any English classes has to remember the attempts to steer you away from use of 'passive voice'...this is one reason why -- it can become confusing as to who is doing what to whom!  ;-)

As for musical tastes...anime is just about all I play... (http://www.last.fm/user/Astaras)....

It's amazing how good the music is with these shows..

Reply #8
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22801321/columns.jpg

Thanks for the help mate. Sorry to have to ask again but I must not have any understanding of how this works because everything I do isn't putting out the result I want.

I am trying to split it again, this time vertically as shown in the picture below and I try and nest another vertical splitter where the spectrum is but it just doesn't work and its extremely frustrating.

Sorry to have to ask again.

Reply #9
Remember - CUI's "splitters" are actually containers, as I said above.

In order to get that split, insert another "Horizontal Splitter" (container to split horizontally) right after your main "Vertical Splitter" and move your Spectrum Analyzer inside the new Horizontal Splitter.

Athenium - I'm not entirely sure which is a better way of stating it, but I was quite annoyed that they did "unexpected" things until I figured it out, haha.
And yes, anime music and jpop are quite amazing. xD

Reply #10
Remember - CUI's "splitters" are actually containers, as I said above.

In order to get that split, insert another "Horizontal Splitter" (container to split horizontally) right after your main "Vertical Splitter" and move your Spectrum Analyzer inside the new Horizontal Splitter.

Athenium - I'm not entirely sure which is a better way of stating it, but I was quite annoyed that they did "unexpected" things until I figured it out, haha.
And yes, anime music and jpop are quite amazing. xD

Thanks so much, I did read what you said but was still a little confused. I think I understand it now.

Reply #11
Thanks so much, I did read what you said but was still a little confused. I think I understand it now.

Good luck!

I think the key really is understanding the difference between the "Splitters" from the DUI and CUI.
Once you're familiar with that (easy way is to just create a bunch of test layouts using them until you've nailed down how they react) it's very simple to create more complex layouts.

This is my current setup. Once I figured out the difference with the splitters, the basic layout here took about 5 minutes to make. The scripting, on the other hand...... let's say it's a continual work in progress.