Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New buttons in 0.9.5 beta 4 (edit: and 5) (Read 29389 times) previous topic - next topic

New buttons in 0.9.5 beta 4 (edit: and 5)

Reply #25
Like the new buttons!  Thanks for the best player, editor, convertor, etc... with great buttons as well.

cheers,
herefornow
cast out...

Reply #26
where did my random button go? : [

Reply #28
The buttons are ugly but really don't mind as the playback buttons start playback and the others do their job. The only reason i post here is to express my hope that "Feature: Custom toolbar buttons (considered for post-0.9.5)" don't mean just change playback buttons but offers creating buttons for any main or context menu wich is more important than just an optical change. It seems to me that "customized buttons" are more needed for customizing than for adding more functionality.

Reply #29
it's a dirty hack, but if you open up foo_ui_std.dll in a resource editor you can change the buttons.
Ignorance is bliss.

Reply #30
Although I think that the toolbar buttons should be customizable, I think Foobar needs a good default set. Why not use icons from the Tango! project? (http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library) They are released under a CC license. They look nice imo, they blend in well with the overall Windows GUI and they are easy on the eyes. The buttons from 0.8xx could be included as a "retro set" or something. Just my 2 cents.

I already suggested that in the main thread and tango definitely won't make its way into fb2k... I just used the reshack method suggested by unkwn, and guess what: it turned out that the new icons are oval not because they were drawn that way, but...

... because any icon is displayed that way: the tango icons are distorted as well! So this seems to be a bug.

frncle

Reply #31
Another "the beta 4 buttons are no improvement at all".
Could be they fit the Vista or some Mickey Mouse style, they don't look so good on my "Classic Look" systems.

Then again, those buttons are not very important to me, not like e.g. single key (non-global) shortcuts interfering with the search window 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #32
... because any icon is displayed that way: the tango icons are distorted as well! So this seems to be a bug.

Not a bug. The icons in beta 4 are drawn that way, and their size is hardcoded in foo_ui_std, so any icons you use as replacement will be displayed using the same (non-square) size as well.

Reply #33
the simple solution is to use an icon editor to pad your icons with invisible space to make them the right size.
Ignorance is bliss.

Reply #35
Not a bug. The icons in beta 4 are drawn that way, and their size is hardcoded in foo_ui_std, so any icons you use as replacement will be displayed using the same (non-square) size as well.

Forgive me, but that's retarded. The shape and appearance of icons should be determined in the icon files or data themselves, not anywhere else.

I really have to wonder what the reasoning behind that choice is, because it seems like a poor one to me.

Reply #36

Forgive me, but that's retarded. The shape and appearance of icons should be determined in the icon files or data themselves, not anywhere else.

I really have to wonder what the reasoning behind that choice is, because it seems like a poor one to me.

You can't blame the developers for an issue with a hack that isn't actually supported. Obviously the real solution is for the developers to implement custom buttons.
Ignorance is bliss.

Reply #37

That came to my mind when I lay on my mattress half asleep. I passed the last exams of a long and difficult training yesterday and could think very clearly when I posted that... Sorry!

@emon: Why should a system that's not intended to be changed be ready for icons of all sizes? The rest of the layout depends on a predictable button size.

I'll try the icon editor approach today.
frncle

---------- edit:

foobar2000 + IcoFX + ResHacker + Tango = foobar tango'd (incl. a home-cooked 'random' button  )

Voilà:
  • left: first try
  • center: Improved 'random' button (visual metaphor now) based on the tango mail-send-receive icon (recoloured, resized)
  • right: arrows seperated, two slightly different variants

i like those. thank you, tango team.
fooruncle

Reply #38
One more vote for the 0.9.5b3 buttons. Or the choice between the old and new.

Reply #39
Obviously the real solution is for the developers to implement custom buttons.

And I don't understand why that hasn't been done. Weren't custom buttons supported in previous versions?

Reply #40
Obviously the real solution is for the developers to implement custom buttons.

And I don't understand why that hasn't been done. Weren't custom buttons supported in previous versions?

I'm not sure whether buttons  were customizable in the old Default UI or not (and can't be bothered to reinstall 9.4.5 to find out), but they certainly were (and are) with other user interfaces.

Reply #42

Easy. They're not meant to be replaced. If you're going to go messing around with the executable, expect unusual results.

You don't honestly expect developers to anticipate executable modifications, do you? Forgive me, but something's retarded here, and it's not the way Peter's handling things.

Reply #43

For the umpteenth time: No, the Default User Interface never had customizable toolbar buttons before. You are thinking of Columns UI. As for why it is not done yet: Some features are deliberately left out of 0.9.5, because we want to get it out in finite time.

Reply #44
yo these new icons are not really good looking and whoever made them should consider a minimal lackluster set that has no way of really pissing anyone off because there wont be anything to complain about. and if its too minimal for them, panels is still open for use.

but golly, these icons are truly an eyesore on the mostly wonderful default ui.
that is our karma...

Reply #45
I think what people put off about the new buttons is

A) the non-square shape
B) the shading (similar negative reactions as with the new icon set)

So are those really the buttons for the final release?

Reply #46
Those new icons really look awful, they are not only squashed, but also have the unnecessary and ugly "vista" (or better call it "stupid") gloss/shading (same as the new file icon set, it not only looks awful, but also lowers readability), the tango icons posted in this post and the tango file icons (in the file upload section of the forum), same as the old file icons look way, WAY better. I only hope those icons are not final, otherwise the customizable buttons would be badly needed. For now, thank God for ResHacker.

Reply #49
Yes, they are way better.