Skip to main content
Topic: create seperate cuesheet from embedded cuesheet (Read 4685 times) previous topic - next topic

create seperate cuesheet from embedded cuesheet

i have a few thousand flac files with embedded cuesheets that were created by REACT. 

they are all in one directory using the following naming convention:

(date) artist - album.flac

is there any way that i can easily generate separate cuesheets for all files?  is it possible to have the cuesheets retain my naming convention?  i.e.:

(date) artist - album.cue

thanks,

brett

Reply #1
Presumably, if you used REACT, you used a CUESHEET tag, rather than FLAC's native meta data block.  If so, you could use my build of Case's Tag, using --tocuea to output the cuesheet to a .cue with the same name as the source.

IIRC --tocuea will work with wildcards just fine.  Therefore you could just open a command prompt in the root of your music folder and run:

Code: [Select]
TAG.EXE --recursive --tocuea *.flac

May be worth testing on a single folder before running on thousands of files.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
you used a CUESHEET tag, rather than FLAC's native meta data block

thanks for the quick reply!

this brings up a question.  what is the difference between the 2 cuesheet formats?  is there a reason i should be using the native meta data block?  is there an easy way to convert from REACT's format?

thanks again,

brett

Reply #3
The CUESHEET metadata block dosen't support CD-TEXT, and that's why many people just stores the complete contents of the cuesheet into a Vorbis comment tag field named 'cuesheet' and which some programs like foobar2000 and Burrrn then can parse and make use off to show the seperate tracks of the image file and write them to disc. The advantage of the CUESHEET metadata block, is that you can use switches of flac.exe to decode single tracks out of the image and to take advantage of apps which supports parsing that block, allthough i don't know any at the momment though. I would recommend to just stick with the Vorbis comment 'cuesheet' tag field.

Reply #4
Isn't gap information as well as all other non-01 index and non-index data discarded when using flac's native tag?
Is 24-bit/192kHz good enough for your lo-fi vinyl, or do you need 32/384?

Reply #5
To be sure, then i just re-checked the spec and all indexes are refferenced :
  • METADATA_BLOCK_CUESHEET
  • [...]
  • CUESHEET_TRACK+      ;One or more tracks[...].
  • [...]
  • CUESHEET_TRACK_INDEX+      ;For all tracks except the lead-out track, one or more track index points.
  • CUESHEET_TRACK_INDEX            ;<64>    Offset in samples, relative to the track offset, of the index point. For CD-DA, the offset must be evenly divisible by 588 samples (588 samples = 44100 samples/sec * 1/75th of a sec). Note that the offset is from the beginning of the track, not the beginning of the audio data.
    <8>    The index point number. For CD-DA, an index number of 0 corresponds to the track pre-gap. The first index in a track must have a number of 0 or 1, and subsequently, index numbers must increase by 1. Index numbers must be unique within a track.
    <3*8>    Reserved. All bits must be set to zero.

Source : http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#me..._block_cuesheet

Reply #6
Very good, thanks!
Is 24-bit/192kHz good enough for your lo-fi vinyl, or do you need 32/384?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019