Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio Player for Linux (Ubuntu) (Read 20270 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio Player for Linux (Ubuntu)

Reply #25
Even though Amarok may not be perfect, it's quite usable nevertheless. No linux app that I've tried does even compare to that. Only the most advanced features could use some improvement, but the basics are definetely there.

I find it to be a nice thing that it's bloated. It looks great! Lately the biggest performance problems are solved as well. When I looked at foobar recently on a Windows machine, I thought yikes, what an ugly interface. It looks so typically 20th century. I do still remember I liked it for it does what it promises. And is technicaly almost perfect. But these days I want something pleasant for the eye as well. Windows users would have a hard time to match any free player to the beauty of Amarok.
A secure audio ripper for linux: code.google.com/p/rubyripper

Reply #26
I too use Linux and Amarok at the university, and I really do miss foobar. I even like it that it looks so 20th- century as opposed to winamp or all the other players who are just eye- candy, but nothing more. And 95% of the time, the only thing I see from from foobar is the tray icon.

Reply #27
I also would recommend Quod Libet. It is simple, easy to use and handles huge libraries easily (and fast in my opinion). I don't think it has gapless support, although there is always room for improvement . There is an fairly extensive list of plugins too.
Well.. Quodlibet is nice, but the one thing that keeps me away from it is: its very slow also
also the project seems to be dead..

The project is not at all dead - Mutagen 1.13 was released 2007/12/04.

Cheers, Arite.

Reply #28
I run GNU/Linux and *BSD on the desktop, but I have given up on all the audio players available. So I bought an old computer (P3 1GHz, 512MB memory), installed Windows and foobar2000 on it, and access it through Remote Desktop.

The box cost me next to nothing, and does the job very nicely.

Reply #29
you guys are funny