Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ogg multichannel (Read 15864 times) previous topic - next topic

ogg multichannel

How can i play a multichannel ogg ?
I've made a ogg from a ac3 but winamp can't play it.
Is a new output plug-in needed

ogg multichannel

Reply #2
PP how do you decode those multichannel files? I mean how are they mapped at the different channels of a soundcard ? I just tried it and the center channel of the ac3 file was totally on the right channel.

ogg multichannel

Reply #3
I'm very interested in this also. Has anyone been able to achieve this yet?

EDIT- I'm not so much interestedin WinAmp as I'd rather use something like BSplayer, ZoomPlayer or PowerDivx:)

ogg multichannel

Reply #4
Yes it works , i can play 6 channel files but the question to PP still remains

ogg multichannel

Reply #5
my plugins use some sort of windoze's default channel mapping. afaik, vorbis doesn't store channel mapping info (gimme a big RTFM if i'm wrong), and even if it does, there's no way for input plugn to tell the output plugin what channel mapping to use (at least under winamp2, my winamp3 plugins can do that, but again, i can't get channel mapping info from oggs).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

ogg multichannel

Reply #6
The a3d output plugin author Denis Dubrov managed it, after i told him the channel align of a Dolby digital file, to place the right channel in the right virtual speaker position. Shouldn't this be possible with out_evil? I mean that u use standard DD 5.1 channel align, if this is possible in windows . For instance, channel 1 to the right front speaker, channel 2 in the middle of speaker one  and two, channel 3 on the left front speaker etc. I doubt that there are many multichannel files out there with different channel alignment

ogg multichannel

Reply #7
blah give me new soundcard and 5.1 speakers (but no soundblasters please, i'm sick of them)
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

ogg multichannel

Reply #8
Originally posted by zZzZzZz
blah give me new soundcard and 5.1 speakers (but no soundblasters please, i'm sick of them)

I'll second that man. Never again will I ever buy another SoundBlaster card. So many other options on the market that work much better and cost less. Check out the Zoltrix Nightingale 6 Pro (5.1) card for $41. It rocks and has full coax and optical support.

Sorry to get off subject:D

ogg multichannel

Reply #9
... at least you could put the front speakers in the right place

ogg multichannel

Reply #10
@easyfab
How did you achieve multichannel Ogg from AC3?

ogg multichannel

Reply #11
well decode an ac3 file to a multichannel wave file and then encode it with ogg

ogg multichannel

Reply #12
After you mux OGG to the AVI are there still seek issues though?

I had read that if you try and seek in the movie while watching, it gets way out of sync. Perhaps this is more of an issue with NanDub but I'm not sure.

ogg multichannel

Reply #13
Ok I am still at a loss. I have never found a way to make a PCM wav with more than 2 channels. How would one accomplich this?:confused:

ogg multichannel

Reply #14
@MaTTeR
When you mux Vorbis with Nandub synch is fine. But if you try to seek in the AVI though the Windows based programs loose their place in the file and drop the audio completely. But if you watch it from begining to end there is no problem and it sounds sweet. You may pause it with no adverse effects.

ogg multichannel

Reply #15
What´s the point of taking something already compressed at a very high compression rate and then recompress it with another format? Why not just play the AC3 files right away...?

ogg multichannel

Reply #16
@Sachankara

The point of taking an AC3 file and converting to an MP3 or OGG file is simply file size. If your familiar with the raging DivX scene then the "size" issue will make sense. The object is to take a larger file and reduce it down with an acceptable loss of quality and still maintain multi-channel sound.

ogg multichannel

Reply #17
So Neo Neko's question was not answered...

How do you make multi-channel Oggs and how do you play them without listening sounds coming from the right speaker instead of the center one?

ogg multichannel

Reply #18
think i got a method:
1) buy PP a good (not SB) 5.1 soundcard & speakers
2) wait for some good OGG plugins

ogg multichannel

Reply #19
If he puts a banner somewhere i can generate a few clicks from uni i think 

So far, we just save space from Mp3s right? We can't do anything similar to ac3..?

ogg multichannel

Reply #21
I am proud to anounce that I did manage to enhance the vorbis.dll in following ways:

1) We have a floating point interface, now.
2) Multichannel probably works - someone please verify that

In fact it was easier than I thought, so I am wondering myself, why nobody else did it before...

So stay tuned for the next release of HeadAC3he which will make use of these features, so that we come a step further to mc ogg. At least the best possible quality conversion AC3->MC OGG is done.

@PP

Now you can safely ignore my email/pm, if you didn't do it already... About the ogg plugin for winamp:

The default mapping in ogg files for 6 channels should be L,C,R,SL,SR,LFE, so if you have a 2ch output, it would be cooul if you downmix them DS like:
Lt=L+0.707*(C-SL-SR+LFE)
Rt=R+0.707*(C+SL+SR+LFE)

For 4ch it should be something like:
Lt=L+0.707*(C+LFE)
Rt=R+0.707*(C+LFE)
SLt=SL
SRt=SR

Anyone knows who did the OGG cool_in filter for CE? It would be great if (s)he fixes it for mc ogg compatibility.

ogg multichannel

Reply #22
Originally posted by DarkAvenger
Anyone knows who did the OGG cool_in filter for CE? It would be great if (s)he fixes it for mc ogg compatibility.

Yes.

PP did 
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/misc.htm

ogg multichannel

Reply #23
Hmm, it doesn't work for me. CE2k simply says "temporary drive full", and a few samples are decoded of all six tracks. But I have GBs free and have no problem opening a 6ch WAV. So am I dumb, or is it a bug?

ogg multichannel

Reply #24
I don't think the CE filter is to the same spec as the latest Winamp plugin, but I could be wrong. The CE filter is dated Jan 2, ie. just after the RC3 launch. PP has done quite a lot with the Winamp plugin since then including the floating point stuff, I think.

john33