Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Beatles MFSL (Read 8074 times) previous topic - next topic

Beatles MFSL

To preface: I own all of the official Beatles cd releases.

I've seen a number of "MFSL" releases on the internet. Just wondering what the opinions were on those? And what about this "Japanese red set"?

Beatles MFSL

Reply #1
MFSL means it's a high quality remaster, similar to the Steve Hoffnam remasters. It should sound better than usual remasters, where record companies compress old albums to compete in the loudness war.

Beatles MFSL

Reply #2
You should also look out for the Dr. Ebbets masters. Some people prefer those to MFSL.

Beatles MFSL

Reply #3
i second the dr ebbets stuff

and so will jan

Beatles MFSL

Reply #5
These are all taken from vinyl, correct?  Can't really comment as to their legality.

Yes, they're needle drops of the MFSL vinyl set.

Beatles MFSL

Reply #6
I don't think the MFSL vinyl set sounds very good, actually. Kind of unnatural sounding.

Beatles MFSL

Reply #8
Well, most of the official CD's aren't so hot either, so it's not a good comparison IMO. The MFSL ones are smiley face EQ'd...so if you like that sound, then the MFSL's are the way to go. (side note: I have a friend and whenever I go to his house I have to set his EQ flat because he prefers a big bass and treble boost, which I can't stand. I can accept that people have different standards for EQ)

The only EMI Beatles CD's I ever listen to are Sgt. Pepper's, MMT, and Let it Be. Otherwise it's needledrops (e.g. White Album DMM) or alternate CD's (e.g. Abbey Road BT).

Beatles MFSL

Reply #9
Erm... what's a needledrop?