Skip to main content
Topic: New foobar user - $tab() doesn't seem to be working (Read 4791 times) previous topic - next topic

New foobar user - $tab() doesn't seem to be working

I just started using foobar 0.9.5 beta 1 instead of Winamp. I like it a lot - especially the ability to customize so many little things that really make me feel at home with the program. Well done!

However, I'm having some issues on 2 computers I've tried. Both are running WinXP SP2. I've tried searching but didn't see answers so I hope it's not something basic that I've just missed:
1. I want to format data in the playlist. In Preferences > Display > Default UI > Playlist View, I have a Custom Column with the following in the Pattern box: %artist% - %title%$tab()%length%. It certainly looks to me like using the $tab() character should insert a tab in between the title and length, thus keeping the artist and title left justified and the track length right justified [from help file at file:///C:/Program%20Files/foobar2000/titleformat_help.html]. Instead of adding space, a little box [some ASCII character] appears between the title and length. What could I be doing wrong? I'd post a screenshot but I don't see how to attach pics and I don't have any online file hosting.
2. Also, it appears the size and position of the foobar window reset each time I restart. Not only that, but the size and shape are different on each restart instead of defaulting to the same size and position at each foobar invocation. Is there any way to make the foobar window open in the same position with the same size every time it is launched?
3. Can I make the foobar window dock at the top of the Windows desktop? I seem to remember Winamp snapped to the top edge of the screen but I can push foobar up above the screen and pull it down on top of the taskbar. I run most programs full screen so maybe this is normal operation, but combined with issue #2, it's a pain to get the foobar window where I want it every time it's invoked.
4. Since there are so many setting to adjust in foobar, it would be nice to be able to export all the settings to a file that can be imported on another computer, or after a clean foobar install. I can see the Theme can be exported and imported, but what about keyboard shortcuts, Media Library paths, any Custom Columns or Grouping Schemes, etc. It can take a bit of time to get the program set up to one's liking and it's not quick to transfer those settings to another foobar installation. The Tab Mix Plus extension for Firefox has a settings import/export feature and I never realized how much I like that feature.

Although I can't comment too much about the 0.9.5 changes, I can say that foobar seems to be an excellent program and wonderfully bridges that gap between simplicity for basic users and allowing someone to really 'get under the hood' if they want to. That's a difficult paradigm to grasp and execute for most software and it deserves commendation.

Reply #1
1. I want to format data in the playlist. In Preferences > Display > Default UI > Playlist View, I have a Custom Column with the following in the Pattern box: %artist% - %title%$tab()%length%. It certainly looks to me like using the $tab() character should insert a tab in between the title and length, thus keeping the artist and title left justified and the track length right justified [from help file at file:///C:/Program%20Files/foobar2000/titleformat_help.html]. Instead of adding space, a little box [some ASCII character] appears between the title and length. What could I be doing wrong? I'd post a screenshot but I don't see how to attach pics and I don't have any online file hosting.

The documentation in titleformat_help.html is outdated: the tab character has no special meaning in the playlist in the 0.9.5 Default User Interface. We will change the documentation accordingly.

2. Also, it appears the size and position of the foobar window reset each time I restart. Not only that, but the size and shape are different on each restart instead of defaulting to the same size and position at each foobar invocation. Is there any way to make the foobar window open in the same position with the same size every time it is launched?

Remembering the window position and size is what should happen, if you close foobar2000 normally. Can you export your main layout and upload it in the "Uploads" forum?

3. Can I make the foobar window dock at the top of the Windows desktop?

No, this is not possible.

I can see the Theme can be exported and imported, but what about keyboard shortcuts, Media Library paths, any Custom Columns or Grouping Schemes, etc.

A theme file will contain any custom columns and grouping schemes, if they are used by a playlist view contained in the theme. Keyboard shortcuts cannot be exported, though I would also like to see that future version. Transferring media library paths to another computer is not generally useful; there are topics about backing up your complete configuration on the forum.

Although I can't comment too much about the 0.9.5 changes, I can say that foobar seems to be an excellent program and wonderfully bridges that gap between simplicity for basic users and allowing someone to really 'get under the hood' if they want to. That's a difficult paradigm to grasp and execute for most software and it deserves commendation.

Thank you. We are glad you like it.

Reply #2
Hi foosion, thanks for the fast reply.

1. OK, so the tab character has no special meaning. Is there some other way to get the formatting that I want [artist and title on left with track length right justified]?
2. Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. On both my PCs, the main foobar window's position and size aren't saved when I close foobar either by the big red X or File > Exit. I'm not talking about the panes inside the main foobar window which I assume exporting and importing a Theme would address. Sorry for any confusion. I can upload my theme file but I don't think it's relevant to my question. Should I?
4. OK, exporting media library paths aren't very useful, I was just using it as an example. But I would like to see keyboard shortcuts and other program options exported into a file for portability, as you mentioned. I'll look through the forum for backing up my configuration. Thanks.

Reply #3
1. OK, so the tab character has no special meaning. Is there some other way to get the formatting that I want [artist and title on left with track length right justified]?

Not at the moment.

2. Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. On both my PCs, the main foobar window's position and size aren't saved when I close foobar either by the big red X or File > Exit. I'm not talking about the panes inside the main foobar window which I assume exporting and importing a Theme would address. Sorry for any confusion. I can upload my theme file but I don't think it's relevant to my question. Should I?

The most likely reason for this in the current beta is that your layout contains something that makes foobar2000 act up on startup, so yes, uploading your theme file could help.

Reply #4
1. Will right justification and/or tabs be implemented in the future for playlist column data?
2. OK, I uploaded my theme file here http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=58445. Please advise if there is something I can change to retain the window position and size.

Reply #5
I have tried your theme file here, and I see no problems so far. The window position and size are remembered correctly.

Reply #6
It's still not working for me. In fact, when I get everything set the way I like it and close foobar, everything resets to default and I get the Quick Setup menu [like the first time the program is run] when I launch foobar a second time. And when I import the theme nothing happens. I saved all options when exporting and I clicked Save All after importing. WinXP SP2, I am an admin, OS install is only a month old and I don't have any other weird problems. Any ideas?

OK, now the window position is being saved. I have everything set like it was before and it seems to be fine. It's still not saving the window position on my other computer. Very strange...

Reply #7
Also, if I go to File > Add Files and select all the music files I have [891 files, all mp3] no files are imported. I have to break the files into groups to get them all imported. Any ideas on this one?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019