Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Error creating directsound buffer (8007000E) (Read 3983 times) previous topic - next topic

Error creating directsound buffer (8007000E)

Hi,

While trying to diagnose some other problems I have with my Terratec DMX 6Fire card as detailed in another thread, I had 2 very strange things happen.

Firstly when I went to control panel -> sound & audio devices and changed the volume my sound suddenly sounded like 8bit/8000hz and nothing but a reboot could fix it. A problem with the drivers I thought, so I went into dxdiag.

Everything is fine in dxdiag except when it tries to play sounds from a hardware buffer in which case I get error 8007000E not enough memory. I tried the same tests with my Audigy 2 and had no such problem.

I then went into the configuration page for the directsound output plugin in winamp and set it to "Force Hardware Mixing". This resulted in the error "Error creating directsound buffer. Errorcode: 8007000E".

I tried reinstalling my drivers and even rolling back to the old version that came on the CD with the soundcard but it did not solve the problem.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

It seems like the DMX 6Fire has some serious driver problems (or doesnt support hardware mixing?!). I'll open a support incident with Terratec as well.

Thanks,
-dave

Reply #1
Just tested Windows ME, same behaviour.

Reply #2
I finally got a reply back from Terratec about this. They told me to enable the Sensaura 3d option.

After enabling, hardware directsound works ok.

I don't understand what Sensaura 3d has to do with directsound and I assume enabling this option causes some colouration of the sound.

Any ideas anyone?

Reply #3
Reproduced with DMX 6fire here, seems like a driver problem.
Also, when Sensaura3D is enabled, Center speaker doesn't work.

Reply #4
I asked Terratec about this and they said (roughly - it said in the mail I wasn't allowed to copy the contents)...

Enabling Sensaura 3d allows Windows to treat the DMX 6Fire as a standard sound card, this is to do with sample rate conversion.

So I assume this means that when you use hardware directsound there is some sample rate conversion or other modification of bits taking place. (kmixer?)

-dave

Reply #5
I asked Terratec about this and they said (roughly - it said in the mail I wasn't allowed to copy the contents)...

Enabling Sensaura 3d allows Windows to treat the DMX 6Fire as a standard sound card, this is to do with sample rate conversion.

So I assume this means that when you use hardware directsound there is some sample rate conversion or other modification of bits taking place. (kmixer?)

-dave

When you use Sensaura3D, it gets fixed samplerate at 44100.
But CENTER channel DOES NOT work. Are they going to fix that? I got no reply when I asked it.