Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets [2008-02-25] (Read 285361 times) previous topic - next topic

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #275
next is about possibility for change playlist name for Facets

You can rename the facet playlist like any other one.

...next is about shortcut for 'search' textbox focus

Take a look in the roadmap: that feature is in the list of undecided features

another is about rating statistics - is it possible to implement with Facets 'i like/i dont like' (-1/0/1) statistics? (i know i can use column for that)

I don't understand what you mean. Try in other words what you would like to achieve.

first is about save configurations for columns/Facets and reload from context menu (something like 'last searches')

I think the context menu is the wrong place for that. I already made some thoughts about that and will try to phrase a posting in the next days about that topic

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #276
First off, thanks for this amazing plugin.
I didn't read the whole thread so i'm sorry if the question has already been asked. I'm wondering if theres a way to limit the items facets displays to the currently selected playlist (like iTunes does)? I understand that facets uses a playlist itself but maybe there's a workaround or something? The reason is i have some pretty long playlists and finding something in them takes forever, having facets display only the contents of the selected playlist would speed up finding things.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #277
Facet is a very flexible plugin: you can create several tabs with different facet views and you also can change that facet views quickly by context menu. However, i believe that saving facet view shemes inside of one tab could be a useful feature. In the next lines i am going to list arguments for such a feature, to enumerate what all such a feature could make possible and to show that it wouldn't bloat the preferences or menus of the Facets plugin. Although i will speak of concrete details and my bad english can provoke that, i hope very much, Frank, that you won't misunderstand the following as instruction -  i had just some thoughts and ideas for further improvement and hope that some of them may inspire you.

Sure, if you are already happy with two or three views you will only need just three tabs, that's all. But if you are like me you would create a huge amount of views for different purposes: library browsing, playlist creation, looking for duplicates, - when support of album art is implemented somedays - browsing by cover art and so on.

So, the first argument for saving facet views is
1. A better organization of different views
Instead of creating for each view an own tab we could group several views that belong to one purpose inside of one tab. Also a heavy usage of the context menu could be avoided: a view can be very complex as it consists of the number of facets, the columns and the sorting of the columns. The saving of a view should happen in a userfriendly way: once a view is created one click on "save view..." (available in layout editing mode f.e) opens a window where we can store the name of the view that then could be available in a list callable by a triangle on the right(edit: left) side of toolbar (like the search filters).

Furthermore the implemanation of view shemes could also be used for
2. Creation of library subsets
wich i consider as the main reason for saving views.
I mean: the "save view..." window not only allows you to define a name for the view but also to type in a filter_query that reduces the content of the view to just a part of the library. I don't see a competition to the already existing opportunity to filter the content in toolbar for some reasons:
a) the view sheme would contain complex or large queries wheras the toolbar filters would merely refine the search with short queries and mainly b) we could in a view sheme combine a special subset with the most suitable view and sorting (for playlist interaction)

For illustration an example:
Facets: "1. Date 2. Label 3. Albums", Name: "The best albums from hip hops golden age", Query: "albumrating GREATER 3 AND genre IS Hip-Hop AND date GREATER 1986 AND date LESS 1993", Sorting: "%date% %album artist% %album%" or "default sorting (preferences/general)" (for playlist interaction), Refine search in toolbar: the saved or new filters.
(A remark: a view could remain editable by context menu but should show the saved layout when loaded again)
(Another remark: the name of the view could be displayed at beginning of toolbar and is not editable)

As a view sheme contains a query and also a sort string we would also have
3. A better organization of autoplaylists
Once a view sheme is stored you can also regard it as a preset for autoplaylists wich additionally could be refined by selection in the facets and by filtering in toolbar. As already a sorting string for playlist interaction exists you also wouldn't bother about defining a sorting for the playlist.

As you can create subsets of the database a view sheme also could be used as
4. A viewer for selection/now playing information
I mean: you can use expressions like database searchs "search for same"-functionality.

A simple example:
Facets: "1. Date 2. Albums", Name: "Other albums of same artist", Query:  "artist IS %artist% AND NOT album IS %album%", Sorting: %date%

I had some ideas more but i already wrote more than too much. The effort to phrase that all with my poor english was so big that i hope on some feedback. Thanks for reading such a long post!

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #278
@smkk

You can use the built-in playlist search functionality (see main menu->edit->search) or try foosions database search wich allows you to define more exact searches or create a custom view in album list (see context menu) to browse your playlist.
I think a functionality like you described implemented in facet would disturb the clean concept of a library viewer. Another point: How should the binded facets interact with playlists? Should the active playlist be filtered when selecting something in the facets or should theselection be sended to facet playlist?

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #279
I think a functionality like you described implemented in facet would disturb the clean concept of a library viewer.

Well i've been using iTunes for few years before i switched to foobar and facets bacisally made foobar usable to me. Maybe it's just that i'm still used to it that the items in the column libary browser gets limited to the items in the selected playlist, but i always found this useful for quickly finding things, especially when you have a huge libary with several hundred of artists.

Another point: How should the binded facets interact with playlists? Should the active playlist be filtered when selecting something in the facets or should theselection be sended to facet playlist?

Well the playlist would be displayed as-is until something is selected in facets (which is filtered to only the content of the selected playlist). Like you have a playlist for soundtracks, you select the playlist and can use facets to quickly browse the playlist instead of scrolling forever or typing cryptic search phrases in the searchbox. Loot at it like like a way to pre-filter facets via playlists. And of course, to display the whole libary in facets again you would need a playlist which contains everything.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #280
Hi everybody,

Frank, I've been using Facets pretty extensively for a few months, and I have two small requests :

1°) "Don't search in [name of the tag]" option (e.g. %lyrics%)
The Facets search just looks everywhere for the desired search expression : tag fields, filenames, etc... and this is great of course. However, when there are embedded lyrics, the search results quickly become irrelevant, because Facets does also look inside the lyrics themselves. This can be useful sometimes (if you really want to look inside the lyrics), but most of the time it makes searches more difficult because there are too many unwanted results. 

So I guess some option in Facets' prefs that would allow us to skip a given tag field would be most welcome. What do you think ?

2°) Improved unicode / accents support (I couldn't find a better name for it  )
There are files with quite uncommon accentuated characters (ó, ú... you get the point). Example : "Farewell to Lórien", bonus track from the Two Towers OST (but also lots of foreign artist names : Pasión Vega, etc.).
If I want to look for that track, I can't type "Lorien", because Facets won't find anything. And the "ó" character doesn't exist in my keyboard, so it's not easy to type.
So I guess it would be nice if Facets would help us with those characters :
- when you type "o" it will look for "o" but also for "ó", etc.
- when you type "i" it will look for "i" but also for "í", etc.
- when you type "e" it will look for "e" but also for "é", "è", "ê", etc.
- when you type "c" it will look for "c" but also for "ç", etc.
- etc.

Could you please let us know your position on these two points ? Thank you.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #281
thumbs up for this system, besides the super-ugly buttons foobar will be 'config-free' (for me) soon as it seems.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #282
@smkk

I know what you mean and it would be a nice feature as the facets are acting as a super filter. However, i would prefer more the creation of custom views as they are more flexible: you can take not only the whole playlist but also just a selection or other sources (selection in facets itself ...) as basis for a custom view.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #283
Do you think you could consider adding a custom sort field in order to "properly" sort things?

The benefit of such an option would be very limited, and it cannot be implemented in a reliable, consistent way if you intend to use it with titleformatting. Think of nonsensical examples such as sorting artists by %tracknumber%, for example - there is no definite answer to that.

The small bug I found is, that when I create a new column [you obviously mean facet] it gets mapped always as the last column regarding the keyboard shortcuts. Say, I have columns 1, 2 and 3 in order, and place a new one between 1 and 2, the order will be 1, 4, 2, 3 if I move between them with the tab-button.

Noted, thanks for reporting this.

There is an inconvenience when it comes to deleting a search query from the toolbar. (...) I suggest to introduce a remove-submenu where all stored queries are listed from where they can be deleted by a simple mouseclick without being invoked before

Agreed.

(...) would it be possible to implement a Facets-only tag which refrences the value of the statistics?

Example custom column which I think would be useful:

$ifgreater(%FacetsTracksStatistic%,50,%ARTIST%,)
so any artist with less than 50 tracks total is taken off the column.

Sorry, but titleformatting does not work this way; the number of tracks for each artist can only be determined after the column pattern has been evaluated for all tracks, and then it would be too late to fill in that variable. In general, hiding items with less than a configurable number of tracks would be possible.

for the facet columns, is it possible to edit the rating column so it shows a number 1-5 instead of stars?

I'm afraid that would result in even more minor requests to customize various columns. Sorry, but you will have to live with the defaults.

I'm wondering if theres a way to limit the items facets displays to the currently selected playlist (like iTunes does)?

The idea is starting to grow on me, I'm considering to add it in the future.

A long, interesting post about views, library subsets, and so on. :)

Some of your ideas match with what I have in mind as possible long-term goals as I move on with the component.

(...) two small requests :

1°) "Don't search in [name of the tag]" option (e.g. %lyrics%) (...)
2°) Improved unicode / accents support

Solid suggestions, but I would like to avoid inconstencies with the results of foobar2000's other search functions.

Such options should rather be introduced globally, not by each individual component.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #284
Thanks for your reply Frank. In that case, may I count on you to discuss this issue directly with the other developers ? I believe your opinion will have more weight than mine.

It would be nice to see those suggestions soon in the "planned features" list for the upcoming foobar versions.

If you prefer that I bring the idea directly to the devs, just let me know.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #285
If you like to display the folderstructure of your library and also want to display the root-directories at first you can achieve that by "$replace(%path%,\,|)" in Album List. Is there a way to do the same in Facets? If yes it must be more complex title formatting.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #286
I am using the facet with ratings as the first selection point. I have values from 1 to 5 for the ratings. Unfortunately i can not get the unrated songs to be displayed.
So how can i set a value for displaying the unrated songs in the facet selection? I know it´s not directley a question of the facets. Sorry!

The origin reason why i have asked this, is that several songs are not displayed in the facet selection, when i use everywhere "all". To get around that in the meantime i have removed the facet ratings and there are still lots of songs missing. I have already done a rescan of the library, but no result.
All my songs on a mapped network drive with the following sorting:

Artist --> album --> song

I hate to ask such not really defined questions, but are there any known reasons why songs which are added to the library are not shown?
Please also remember and answer my question above. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, i have found my mistake. There were genre missing in the not shown songs. 
To get around such a problem next time, i would like to define something for empty values, so that all songs are really displayed if i use all in ratings, genre, etc.
Any solution for that?

Moderation: Merged three posts. Please use the button.

Regarding your questions, there is a Facets manual.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #287
i encounter strange ?bug?/behavior. i dont know precisly when it happens (it has happened many time so far) and i cant directly reproduce it but:
i have dblclick action as "send to facet playlist" (which is great function) when i let facet component to create its own playlist its called samothing like "Facet playlist" or so and its fine. i use this a lot but from time to time i find facet playlist renamed even so i didnt do so willingly. it then look like this:

the selected playlist is facets. renamed to "questionmark in square" = probably just unknown char.

when i look inside index.dat in "playlists" folder which tracks names of playlists it look like this:
Code: [Select]
ţcet = 01 FE 63 65 74

i dont know if its truble of facet but its playlist is the only one that is loosing its name.

edit: typos

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #288
I remarked that sometimes the tracks of a selection is displayed in "selection properties" ui-element in wrong order: not by default sorting/sorting in playlist view. F.e: I select an album and the tracknumbers in selection properties window are displayed as "5;3;4;6;7;8;9;1;2" - correspondending to that the order of titles and filenames is wrong.

@ binding of facets to active playlist

I would like to remark that it would be better to use an autoplaylist that gives back all music instead of the facet playlist to display the whole library. I think i could use that feature in another sense than smkk: not for library management in the style of iTunes but as playlist filter - f.e one facet view with filter toolbar and/or facet view with album covers (planned feature). If then the facet playlist would give back the whole library it would come to a conflict if you use facets one time in normal mode (wich i would keep) and at same time in playlistbinding-mode.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #289
The alternating colors aren't matching the playlist for me...

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #290
Hi,

I noticed in Facets, when a field is not populated, e.g. BAND, it is not displayed under BAND Facet at all. This is understandable. I was wondering could you please display them as Unknown Band etc. So we can track them down and tag those files. 

vs

Thanks,
McoreD

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #291
Hi,

I noticed in Facets, when a field is not populated, e.g. BAND, it is not displayed under BAND Facet at all. This is understandable. I was wondering could you please display them as Unknown Band etc. So we can track them down and tag those files. 

vs

Thanks,
McoreD
Try using $if2(%band%,Unknown) in Facet Preferences.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #292
drbeachboy, that's awesome. I'm chopped.

Thanks,
McoreD

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #293
Playing with foobar McoreD ?

AFAIK there's a simpler way : simply remove all the brackets in Facets prefs. This way every Facet will show all the results, including "?".

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #294
Yes Jose. 

Foobar2000 is an excellent tagger for me. I want to create a plugin like iTSfv for iTunes - so I can autocaptitalize, embed artwork, fill track count etc - but I want a SDK with examples for C#.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #295
Try using $if2(%band%,Unknown) in Facet Preferences.

I just realized how cool the title formatting is. This was so useful for me with Classical music.

$if($stricmp(%genre%,Classical),%composer%,%band%)

Thanks again,
McoreD

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #297
Thanks for you effort in making this plugin!
I've recently updated to 08-02-25 version and noticed a small but eye catching display bug while using classic theme in XP. The border of the search bar becomes distorted when foobar is resized.

Just wanted to let you know.

Edit: Frank, could you please make emboss/sunken border as an option for the search field?

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #298
I started using more shortcuts and noticed something strange:
When using "Send to playlist and play : someplaylist"  when some artist or album is selected in Facets all works well and someplaylist starts playing with the right artist or album, BUT sometimes the playlist is not sorted in the regular %path_sort%.

Facets [2008-02-25]

Reply #299
Hi Frank,

Not sure what I am doing wrong here:

For a facet panel called BAND,  I have

$if($stricmp(%genre%,Classical),%composer%,$if(%band%, %band%, %artist%))

Now I have four artists not sorted alphabetically:

Any ideas?

Thanks,
McoreD