Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback Statistics component (Read 204097 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback Statistics component

Reply #325
There's no answer because there's no justification for considering both a 30 second and a 30 minute piece of music played after 60 seconds.

C.

PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #328
Has anyone found this problem:  foo_playcount refuse to write %added% time after current system time but accept %first_played% time after %last_played%

Reply #329
I've discovered a certain bug with this component and relative paths that were introduced in v1.0.
Playback statistics is lost when moving a file using foobar file operations. But only if you move files from an absolute folder to a relative.
In the reverse direction everything is preserved as it should.

Steps to reproduce
1. Create two folders on one drive: Music and MusicRelative.
2. Add them both as folders to watch to the media library (the first one with an absolute path, the second with relative).
3. Put some files to Music folder.
4. Set some ratings.
5. Move the files using file operations to MusicRelative.
6. Playback stats is lost.

If you change 3 to MusicRelative and 5 to Music then no stats is lost.

Reply #330
Excellent component, thank you.
I use Global Shortcuts and assigned CTRL+1, 2, ...5 to assign rating to the currently playing song.
Unfortunately, only bad thing for me, is that sometimes I browse my songs, and I CTRL+x, thinking I'll assign the rating 'x' to the currently playing song. But no, it assigns it to all the currently selected songs. Gaack.

Is there a way to rate the currently playing song no matter what I browse, where I am, ... ?

Thank you.

Reply #331
Works for me. Are you sure your global hotkeys use [context / now playing] and not [context] ?

Reply #332
Is there a way to rate the currently playing song no matter what I browse, where I am, ... ?

Make sure you select the appropriate rating action under the "[context / now playing]" node when assigning the hotkeys; I'd guess you have instead used the actions under "[context]"...

EDIT: serves me right not refreshing the page after being away from my machine for an hour...
np: 4'33"

Reply #333
Olaf and Leak, THANK YOU!
Works perfect now. When I set my keys, I just filtered on "rating" and picked the 1st one (actually, the 2nd one, [Context]) which appeared).

I really love foobar and its community

Reply #334
There is an option to "automatically synchronize" with tags, however, a while back I had a bit of data-loss with this feature.  Possibly this has since been fixed.

The point of the playlist statistics plugin is to be able to recognize the files you commonly play.  For that to work well, it's important the information isn't easily lost.  By default, this info is currently stored seperately from the music files.  That's problematic because your personalized music info (valuable data) gets lost if you rename a file or even switch music player.  I realize that updating the user's music files behind their back isn't foobar's philosophy, and I don't expect this default to be changed - but it _is_ a shame because the data is quite easily (several posts to this forum mention that...).

Specifically, what happened was that a new user account (i.e. blank foobar profile) was created; this profile did not have the "automatically synchronize" option set.  As this new account used foobar, the account's playcounts changed, so did this new accounts statistics.  Eventually, to be able to access the stored ratings in the files, the option was enabled, but doing so overwrote the old info + ratings which were far more complete and representative of the actual usage.  That's a shame.  (Again this was pre 1.0, so perhaps the current version no longer does this).

In any case, the preferred behavior I'd like to see is to ensure that playback statistics are hard to lose:  If statistics must be stored in the user account, this should only ever add statistics; preferably time-stamped.  That way, if a file is renamed, the info isn't lost; you can move the file back and restore the info.  Also, if the files themselves contain ratings the apps can simply show the most recent rating; if ever the user choses to write their playback statistics into the files, you can add the playcounts (rather than replace them).  This won't double-count since the in-account db only stores the account's additional playcounts (not the raw total).  Also, using the most recent rating rather than the account's avoids unfortunate accidents whereby an uninitialized user account accidentally overwrites the file's ratings (as happened to me).

Basically, some versioning trickery would really help to improve the robustness of the playback statistics to avoid them being lost so easily.

Alternatively, the approach last.fm uses is a little less precise, but far more robust; simply track by artist+track rather than by file.  Since foobar has access to the actual files, it could even update playback statistics correctly when tags are changed - although, as last.fm shows, that's not strictly necessary to be useful.

Reply #335
there's no justification for considering both a 30 second and a 30 minute piece of music played after 60 seconds.

I'd have to agree.

The Last.fm component uses a percentage, and it's a setting. I think the PS component should have that as well.

most people do not listen until the end of a song

Reply #336
Just lost all my statistics for the 3rd time, not sure how, but im guessing its related to me trying to play files that foobar cant find. My music is played through network drive, so if the other computer is off, they cant be found naturally. Not much fun :\

Reply #337
Hi,
I tired using a winamp visual display which rendered by FB2k unusable - not your probl.

To get back I renamed my core.cfg file - started FB2k and it wiped out your file and the main DB file.

I re-renamed the original core.cfg and when FB2k started it went into rebuild the DB mode - at that point I went to sleep.

I have restored from an auto-backup your playbackStatistics.dat

But the last playdates were missing.

So I went to an autobackup I had and restored your file, the config etc.  - Still not last playback date.  It is tracking songs I am playing now, the file is still 40mb large - but it is not showing all the lastplaydates.

Please HELP me restore this info - I dumped the lps.dat file and it seems to use actual file specs so I just don't see why unless it uses some pointer in the main DB that got changed due to the rebuild.

Thanks!

Reply #338
How much is "last play dates"? Playback statistics since last application startup or configuration save cannot be recovered, naturally...
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #339
I do not use the media libray.
You can add the ability to record the score for the files that are not part of a media library?

Reply #341
I have just discovered a weird problem.

Some of the songs in my collection have lost/reset their playback statistics - but only the "first played" and "added" data (these have reverted to a January 2000 date). The play count, rating and last played data are all accurate however. I just don't get it...

Some background:
- the affected songs (all mp3) are fairly random; some I've listened to recently, others I haven't....some have ratings, some not....they are not stored in the same directory etc... though all of these have a play count of at least 1. They were added to the library at various times. I can't find any correlation between them...
- the statistics are stored in the db and not the tags
- I have never done any "file ops" on these files (ie moved/renamed etc)
- the library path is local and not relative
- I don't use many components and the only one I've recently added is the waveform seekbar...
- at the moment I am on foobar 1.0, but have a few backups of older versions of foobar and config/stats - the same problem exists in an old backup with foobar 0.9.* (though the number of affected songs then was 20, now its about 50, and I have been using the new version for a couple of months)
- unfortunately I don't know when the problem started....the "dates" are not displayed by default and I mainly use them for the autoplaylists

I have tried to manually fix the dates by "write stats to file tags", modifying it in the tags, and "import from file tags"...but no changes to the db occurred. I have also tried writing to tags (& modifying), copying the file to another location, using "reset stats" and then copying the file back overwriting the old one, and then "import from file tags" - this fixed/imported the "first played" date correctly but the "added" remained at January 2000...

I have had a look at editing the PlaybackStatistics.dat file directly, but found it garbled. I am out of ideas and would really appreciate some help...

Reply #342
This component seems to run into difficulties with Foobar 1.0's new feature for relative library paths.

I've discovered a certain bug with this component and relative paths that were introduced in v1.0.
Playback statistics is lost when moving a file using foobar file operations. But only if you move files from an absolute folder to a relative.
In the reverse direction everything is preserved as it should.

Steps to reproduce
1. Create two folders on one drive: Music and MusicRelative.
2. Add them both as folders to watch to the media library (the first one with an absolute path, the second with relative).
3. Put some files to Music folder.
4. Set some ratings.
5. Move the files using file operations to MusicRelative.
6. Playback stats is lost.

If you change 3 to MusicRelative and 5 to Music then no stats is lost.

Peter, are you aware of the relative paths file operations issue yet?

Reply #343
Are there some scripts for playlist view columns that show playback count and rating with stars in a column?
I tried to add rating column with %rating% script, but it shows only numbers (1-5) and a "?" when a song is not rated yet...
%play_count% doesn't work, i got only "0"...

thanks anyway

Reply #344
%play_count% works fine for me.  %rating% doesn't, though.  Can you elaborate on this "script" you speak of?  I'd love to have stars too, but even numbers would be better than nothing.  (I'm talking about automated rating, not manual rating.)

Reply #345
create a custom column with this in...

Code: [Select]
$repeat(★,%rating%)

Reply #346
@ karnevil, what do u mean with automatic rating?

Reply #347
create a custom column with this in...

Code: [Select]
$repeat(?,%rating%)

Thanks, but where does this code go?

@ karnevil, what do u mean with automatic rating?

I mean automatically rating tracks by frequency of plays.  Back in the day when I was using iFoo, it provided that option.

Reply #348
Hi there. I guess I found a little bug with this component:

Suppose a never played track in your library. When it's playing for the first time, and the song reaches 60 seconds, the %play_count% tag is added and its value is 1. Nothing unusual. But, if you use the rating system, and add a %rating% tag with any value before the song ends, the %play_count% tag simply disappears.
Saw it happening a dozen times.

Am I missing something or is it a bug indeed?

Reply #349
I repoarted the same (similiar) behaviour earlier, though got no reply.