Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The new 'Properties' dialog (Read 5352 times) previous topic - next topic

The new 'Properties' dialog

I'm really pleased seeing that foobar devs are taking their time with this aspect of foobar.
I know this is work in progress and therefor let's express our wishes regarding the functionality and visuals of this dialog...

So far for me:
- WISH: key UP key DOWN go to previous/next field, even in editing mode.
- WISH: typing OR pressing space OR key LEFT should begin editing the selected field.
- WISH: additional buttons for Add... (ALT+A), Edit (ALT+E) and Remove (ALT+V).
- WISH: for single items - buttons for going to the next/previous item in the playlist. Someone said that the current implementation in 'Special fileinfo box' is somehow hackish. Maybe we get to see an official approach because nevertheless this is a useful feature.
- WISH: separate config page
- BUG: Control+TAB is not switching tabs between 'Single Value' and 'Individual Values'

And something that I've should've started with: THANK YOU for your hard work and devotion. Foobar is like a dream come true without me even dreaming about it .

Reply #1
Hi,
the new properties dialog is great.
But I also have wishes 
- WISH: TAB goto next field directly from editing mode to editing mode
I would also appreciate the Alt + TAB working.

Reply #2
By double-clicking on a field, I always (fb2k 0.5...0.9.2) had that:
http://audiotests.free.fr/temp/_properties_old.png

Now I have this:
http://audiotests.free.fr/temp/_properties_new.png

The new *cough* full screen mode is certainly useful for lilliputian information (the most usual ones I admit) but is impracticable for other situations: article, cast description, lyrics, etc...
I hope this will change.

N.B. There are excellent ideas in the new file properties box
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #3
Now I have this:http://audiotests.free.fr/temp/_properties_new.png

Maybe you should try right click / Edit. You will get a second dialog which can be enlarged

BUG: there's a lot of flickering when enlarging the above mentioned dialog (or resizing any of the 'Properties' dialogs)

Reply #4
I just tried... YEAHHHH!!!!

Thanks a lot for the tip

N.B. The right/click dialog box gives me useful features!!!

Reply #5
I repeat my idea of having a history dropdown for fields of our choice. ( http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=411870 ) Would be helpful for genre tag, and expecially for redundant tags in classical music (there are simply often the same conductors, composers and orchestra)

Reply #7
Frank> I missed that feature too... thanks!
Squeller> I second this (great) idea.

Maybe an extravagant feature but... What about several configurable tabs?
There are currently 2 tabs: one for all metadatas and a second one for the technical properties. People using or overusing personal fields may be interested to split the metadata tab into different categories. Example:
ARTISTIC TAB: artist, composer, performer, title, etc...
TECHNICAL TAB: ripping date, log, drive, etc... encoder setting...

or more specific:

• WORK TAB: composition name, date, first performance, opus & opus number, score source...
• PERFORMING TAB: conductor, ensemble, performer, instruments manufacturer...
• RECORDING TAB: sound engineer, recording date & location, label, ℗ © date and owner, recording system, microphones...
• TECHNICAL TAB: all fields related to ripping, encoding, transcoding, DSP used, etc...
• PERSONAL TAB: CD price, location, ripper name, renting location, etc...

I think such organisation would be more practical than a huge list of 50...100 fields name. Of course, the default setting should be the current one (newbies shouldn't worry about this possibility) and the categorization of fields by different and configurable tab should stay as optional.

Reply #8
I think such organisation would be more practical than a huge list of 50...100 fields name. Of course, the default setting should be the current one (newbies shouldn't worry about this possibility) and the categorization of fields by different and configurable tab should stay as optional.
I'd like to know how many users actually use 50-100 different fields? Of course I know that classical music has some more demand for different tag fields but 50-100? Do you tag the whole biography of the composer and conductor to your files?

Reply #9
I think the actual properties dialog is fine, just needs a few more improvements (you named all of them already).

The Tabbed Properties is something that only, lets call em Tag-Freaks, need. So there should be a plugin for this. Foobar should stay userfriendly for 'noobs'. Plugins exist for 'advanced' users that want to expand the main functionality of the program, with features that may not be that userfriendly and make them go away.

Reply #10
eisteh> the new Properties dialog already offers a complexity that 'normal' users would consider as unfriendly or at least unecessary. Just take a look on the advanced settings or make a right click and take a look on the options: as far as I know foobar2000 0.93b1 is the only program that offer such features and configurability for the 'infobox'. It seems hard to be happy with the new component and refusing advanced options at the same time, because the current state of the infobox is already peppered with hidden settings and advanced commands.

From what I can see since 0.92, foobar2000 offers again some optional possibility to advanced users. The fresh Preference "advanced" options (which offers or reintroduces useful features that several users requested for a long time) has considerably grown. What I suggest is the possibility to enrich it again with what I would call a useful possibility for a specific usage. I perfectly know that a lot -and for sure a majority- of people don't care about it. That's why I explicitely stated that such options should go into the "advanced" preference: the purpose of this menu is precisely to please a minority of people

Reply #11
Mutivalue fields with 0.9.3b2

1) Edit Value dialog now shows two tabs: Single Value and Multiple Values (whne more than one fle is selected)
2) Multiple Values are to be separated by ";" instead of "\" as previously.

Consider that one wants to enter two values for the Artist field; say Artist1 and Artist2.
- If there is a single file selected, instead of generating two values, a single one is generated, namely "Artist1; Artist2" - the semicolon becomes part of the single Artist field value.
- If there are two or more files selected, two individual values, Artist1 and Artist2 are generated, as desired (of course, Single Value must be used).
Also, if one tries to enter each value one by one, when trying to use Add Value to enter the second one, a message Field Already Exists appears and if one continues, the new value simply overwrites the former.

How to enter multivalue fields for a single file with 0.9.3?

p.s. The same problem appears in a former post by "ARiel G." which remains unsolved; its title is
"\" tags problem, Why not always i can use "\" splitter

Reply #12
Request...

Fill Values from File Names:
+ Ignore case -> "Track01 - blah" and "track02 - bluh" to tracknumber 1 and 2.
    [edit]It seems like I can use "%%rack%tracknumber%". Yay.[/edit]
+ Sort list by clicking column header.

Edit Value - Individual Values
+ Add an extra column with trackname or other format. This can be used as reference when filling in values.
+ Add/Show index number from playlist instead of numbering from #1 again.

Reply #13
+ Add an extra column with trackname or other format. This can be used as reference when filling in values.

Such a column already exists, but it's hidden by default.

Move your mouse cursor between the two columns until it looks like this:

Then move it slightly to the right until it appears as:

Now drag to the right to resize the Item column:

The column uses the format specified at Preferences, Advanced, Display, Properties dialog, Title display (default: %title%, in my screenshot it's %filename%).

Reply #14
+ Add/Show index number from playlist instead of numbering from #1 again.

Maybe the tracknumber can help you, too. You can select all fields you want to see in the grid for editing individual values with the standard selecting operations (<ctrl><left click>, <shift><left click>). Just include the tracknumber in your selection.

Reply #15
This is a great help. Thanks!