Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Led Zeppelin IV CD 19129-2 / 250 008 - a fake or not? (Read 8817 times) previous topic - next topic

Led Zeppelin IV CD 19129-2 / 250 008 - a fake or not?

I have recently purchased Led Zeppelin IV (one of the early pressings) with those catalogue numbers: "Atlantic 19129-2 (250 008) 112014" and "Mfd. for RCA / Direct Marketing, Inc. / under License / D 112014". First of all, I am not satisfied with the artwork. The covers are of low quality compared to other CDs I have. If anyone have this version, could you look at this picture and tell me whether your version is exactly the same?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/andrd/pic/1.jpg

Plus here I even see 'Printed in Japan' in very dark green colour:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/andrd/pic/4.jpg

Also, those lines on the back cover (tray), which indicate where to fold spines, - there are two lines on every side (right and left). One line is the real one, where the cover is folded, and the second line is printed. Such offset would be not a problem, but I know that when covers are printed, they those lines are made physically (not printed) and the cover is folded, - they are never done twice. The first fold line is from a scanned cover and the second line is a physical fold line. That could not be an original CD.
Plus the catalogue number (19129-2) is clipped on both spines.

And the matrix of the disc is: "D112014" and "2/88 1C53". Says "MADE IN U.S.A" on the opposite side of the disc, where the track list is.

I wonder whether my version is a bootleg copy or there was such crappy original released.

Reply #1
I have that exact CD. There are NO scanned fold lines and the print is obviously better quality. Where you have printed in Japan I have a box with two lines of text "Manufactured in Germany ... ".

But, if your CD is playable you're doing better than me there. My CD has holes in the metallic layer.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #2
The bit about "RCA Direct Mfg." and lack of a barcode makes me think that this was originally distributed through a "Twelve CDs for a penny!" type direct marketing organization. Some early CD pressings were very poor quality as well.

How is the sound? Is there some specific objection you have to the more recent release?

Reply #3
The bit about "RCA Direct Mfg." and lack of a barcode makes me think that this was originally distributed through a "Twelve CDs for a penny!" type direct marketing organization. Some early CD pressings were very poor quality as well.

How is the sound? Is there some specific objection you have to the more recent release?

Yes, I came to that conclusion too. The person I bought this from bought it when it was released, since he was a member of that RCA club or what. So it is not a fake.
The sound is like on an ordinary non-remastered CD.

Reply #4
I have recently purchased Led Zeppelin IV (one of the early pressings) with those catalogue numbers: "Atlantic 19129-2 (250 008) 112014" and "Mfd. for RCA / Direct Marketing, Inc. / under License / D 112014". First of all, I am not satisfied with the artwork. The covers are of low quality compared to other CDs I have. If anyone have this version, could you look at this picture and tell me whether your version is exactly the same?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/andrd/pic/1.jpg

Plus here I even see 'Printed in Japan' in very dark green colour:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/andrd/pic/4.jpg

Also, those lines on the back cover (tray), which indicate where to fold spines, - there are two lines on every side (right and left). One line is the real one, where the cover is folded, and the second line is printed. Such offset would be not a problem, but I know that when covers are printed, they those lines are made physically (not printed) and the cover is folded, - they are never done twice. The first fold line is from a scanned cover and the second line is a physical fold line. That could not be an original CD.
Plus the catalogue number (19129-2) is clipped on both spines.

And the matrix of the disc is: "D112014" and "2/88 1C53". Says "MADE IN U.S.A" on the opposite side of the disc, where the track list is.

I wonder whether my version is a bootleg copy or there was such crappy original released.

Hello,
I realize this is an old post, but someone might be interested. I am a vinyl collector and just picked up a shrink-wrapped LP of Led Zeppelin IV with "Manufacturing for RCA Music Service under License R-112014 barely visible on back left corner. Below is a black bar printed 1/8" x 2 1/2". I too initially thought this might be a bootleg. Any thoughts.