Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is dbpoweramp any good? (Read 4342 times) previous topic - next topic

Is dbpoweramp any good?

I have a cd that EAC will absolutely not copy but dbpoweramps cd ripper will. Is this a decent program to rip with as I will use razor lame as always to encode but does the ripping software matter much? Thanks in advance!

Is dbpoweramp any good?

Reply #1
It has no(t yet any) secure read mode. (just fast / burst which can be satisfying tho, if you have a drive with reliable C2 implementation)
For the rest I am not the right person to answer, I should still try the program myself 

Is dbpoweramp any good?

Reply #2
Thanks for the prompt reply! Any other suggestions? I have no idea what all the  burst mode, c2 stuff is all about but I guess it's important....

Is dbpoweramp any good?

Reply #3
dBpowerAMP has a system that is under development called AccurateRip, so:

EAC will not tell you 100% reliably that a CD was ripped without errors, AccurateRip will once the database has been populated.
EAC will potentially recover a scratched disc better, through read...read...read...etc, this will be added to dBpowerAMP just as soon as my attention is not needed on AccurateRip.

Is dbpoweramp any good?

Reply #4
So with an unbiased opinion aside, can I get away with ripping cd with dbpoweramp? Thanks

Is dbpoweramp any good?

Reply #6
So with an unbiased opinion aside, can I get away with ripping cd with dbpoweramp? Thanks

If you say EAC absolutely won't rip the CD but dbpoweramp will, then I think you've pretty much answered your own question.  This might be one of those cases where you'll just have to rip the CD, listen for any obvious errors (maybe EAC will help you find where those errors are), and if you don't hear anything wrong, then that will have to be good enough.  You could also try CDex or some other ripping utility and do the same thing.

EAC is a great program, but there's nothing about it that says all other rippers have to be inferior.  They may use different methods, but the final product can be just as good as anything produced by EAC.  If dbpoweramp works, then you can "get away with" whatever sounds good to your ears.  If it doesn't, then maybe the CD is just too scratched or damaged to get a quality rip from any program.

Good luck!

Is dbpoweramp any good?

Reply #7
you can also scan the wavs with deglitch and see what it has to say

Is dbpoweramp any good?

Reply #8
spoon, how long until you update the list of CDs that can be used for offset configuration?  I have only two of yours listed so far, and they're both different pressings obviously since they don't trigger anything.

Is dbpoweramp any good?

Reply #9
Waiting for submissions to come in...