Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Itunes, Winamp or Foobar. What do you use and why? (Read 21167 times) previous topic - next topic

Itunes, Winamp or Foobar. What do you use and why?

Reply #26
Foobar for everything - it has a light footprint, and doesn't tend to seize up when I put the system under load.

I use a combination of Picard and Mp3tag to keep my tags and files in order.

Reply #27
Until last year I have always been a Winamp user, but I always wanted a better tagging interface and better use of the ID3 standard tags. I found Helium MM somewhat great as a tag util, but when I discovered foobar2000 with ColumnsUI, I figured that it could completely replace Helium and even has more possebilities with it's titleformatting strings! I'm sold
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #28
Foobar2000.

At present, it's the be-all-end-all solution for me (except ripping, where i use EAC mainly because i need the log files).  Right now i've got a creative flash player which has UMS support so foobar's copy option works well in it, but i'm planning to get a zune soon. So i might be seeing a bit more of Zune/WMP  than i'd like  .

Reply #29
Foobar2000 when I'm on Windows, MPD with Gnome Music Player Client when I'm on Linux.
Dan

Reply #30
I use foobar but enjoy winamps visual plugins, namely Milk. Itunes is great for the GUI as well. So im curious as to what you use and your reasons.

wouldn't a poll have been much better?

Reply #31
As an audiophile I use foobar offcourse! Other tools I use are: EAC, dBpowerAMP, MrQuestionman and Tagscanner.

Reply #32
I use foobar exclusively. I used to use Winamp, but I could never switch back now. foobar's has its masstagger, converter, mass-filename-editing, ABX and binary comparator tools, and lots of useful DSPs. Especially Convert stereo to 4 channels, the PPHS resampler, and the excellent Convolver, which I now use instead of the 18-band equalizer. foobar's customizability and scriptability are unparalleled, and I use it to my advantage to make all my audio-related work much easier.

And it only uses up 3-4MB of memory with 7,000 tracks loaded.

Reply #33
foobar2000 all the way!
Why should I use one program for tagging, one for transcoding, one for listening and so on?
It it would be better at ripping (more secure, logs, etc) it would trow away from my HDD even EAC.

Reply #34
ITunes for MP3 and AAC playback/tagging/artwork because with 7 Macs and 2 iPods in the house it is by far the easiest solution for sharing libraries, syncing pods etc. I was a committed SoundJam user back in the OS 9 days so it was the path of least resistance when making the jump to Jaguar way back whenever it was.

I transcode from FLAC/APE/SHN with XLD or xACT/shntool (depending on format), audition before adding to iTunes library with Cog or Play and tag FLACs with Media Rage.

Reply #35
I use iTunes exclusively.

I love the UI - super clean and polished - and I would never get by without Cover Flow anymore.  I love flipping through the album art like its a pile of vinyl.

It's also completely integrated with my 8gb iPod nano and OS X.

Reply #36
I use foobar2000 for transcoding & ripping CDs, XMPlay for usual audio playing,
KbSTE(local software : ) for tagging, and iTunes for only sync my iPod and various podcasts.

I like the design and amazing functions of iTunes, but it's too sluggish...

Reply #37
Foobar. Been using it for years, and thanks to the Fofr config I am even more happy. And through the joystick plugin I also have a remote control for it. Hooray! It does everything I want. And people who answer that they use Foobar for the sound quality can be disregarded, as it has been pointed out numerous times (by Peter and others) that the 'better sound' from foobar is nothing but placebo. However, the features of the program are amazing, its lightweight, got great media library management for large music collections and the amount of components available makes it my number one choice.

Reply #38
foobar for 4 years (before that is Winamp). Simple ColumnUI config with trackinfo for statistics.

Reply #39
Foobar for 2 years due to already stated reasons: low footprint and fast startup (at least without the PanelsUI  ), file operations, tagging, incredible plugins and customization, and the best ReplayGain support. Been using FofR and looks great but thinking of returning to simple ColumnsUI which proved itself simple and valuable.
(yes, a poll would have been great!)

Reply #40
Cover Tag doesn't force you to mess around with any complicated settings, it simply reads the tags and displays them in Winamp's video window.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Finally I can see album art in Winamp, too.

Since you're using MP3, the MAD input plugin might be of serious interest to you. Unlike Nullsoft's one it offers support for APEv2 in MP3 and a very advanced ID3v2 editor. It also displays LAME-specific infos, if present.

I'd heard of the MAD plugin before, but never gotten round to installing it. Didn't realize what I was missing! The ability to display LAME tags is very useful.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your detailed reply! Much appreciated, and I'm sure not just by me!

Bluenote

Reply #41
Itunes for syncing mp3 files to ipod. Foobar 2000 for flac playback, and for creating mass mp3 conversions from flac. DbPoweramp for creating other lossy from flac. I prefer the right tools for the job, rather than stretching one tool to do many tasks. But that is just me:)
you will make mp3's for compatibility reasons.

Reply #42
I use foobar but enjoy winamps visual plugins, namely Milk. Itunes is great for the GUI as well. So im curious as to what you use and your reasons.

I use musikCube, because of it's simplicity, fast start up time, low cpu usage, and it looks like a normal windows program. Plus you can move the elements around, like drag the equalizer to the top, left, right, or bottom.

I used to use foobar2000, but after hurricane katrina destroyed my old pc, I never got around to installing it again.

Reply #43
Before I knew exactly how helpful HA was, I scrounged the internet to find the best media player so I could sort my music the way I wanted.

I was faithful to WMP for the longest time until the media library became a process hog on my computer. I switched to Winamp and was faithful to that for three years until last year when something NSIS based was installed with winamp and created a lot of popups and would disconnect me from the internet. Since then I haven't touched Winamp.

I tried iTunes because of its growing popularity and quickly disliked it. The interface annoyed me, the file sorting ability was bogus, and to top it off it did something that made half of my music (20GB) unplayable by either Winamp or WMP. Never did figure out what happened. Luckily my neighbor had Cool Edit Pro (now known as Adobe Audition) and I did a batch convert of all those files to 128kbps MP3 (before I knew that lossy transcoding is a no-no).

The moment I found FooBar2000 I loved it. It has as small footprint, plays damned near everything (including my contiguous APE with CUE albums), and has that same simple feel to it like VLC Media Player. Like everyone says, it is a swiss army knife. So long as it keeps being the awesomeness it is, I won't change players.

However... if VLC, FB2K and REACT were to have a baby media player... I would install that in a heart beat.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #44
Foobar. Been using it for years, and thanks to the Fofr config I am even more happy. And through the joystick plugin I also have a remote control for it. Hooray! It does everything I want. And people who answer that they use Foobar for the sound quality can be disregarded, as it has been pointed out numerous times (by Peter and others) that the 'better sound' from foobar is nothing but placebo. H

I use Foobar because of it support for ASIO.  On my system I like ASIO  better, and therefore Foobar which supports it.  I also like the sound of Winamp since it also supports ASIO.  So does XMplayer.  But iTunes and WMP11 don't sound nearly as good as ASIO supporting players.

If you aren't running ASIo, then I totally agree with this statement.  Otherwise i like Foobar and ASIO.

Maybe it is placebo, but if you can show me an easy way to ABX DS and ASIO I'll try to find out.

Reply #45
used winamp for many many years,also dBpowerAMP for converting,tried foobar for little time.
Also tried iTunes bit it is too big and heavy and not practical

Reply #46
I use Foobar for playing and encoding lossless formats into MP3 -I do V2- to keep them in my comp.
I use FLACFrontend to encode/decode wav and FLAC files, and Trader's Little helper to do same with APE and SHN. Foobar does that, too, but those ones are better.
Foobar is the best stuff to handle all kinda files I have ever used, can't listen to APE and SFN stuff as well, and I can build it according to my needs and tastes.
Don't think I will use ITunes, ever. I think I would not like it. Don't like apps which use many CPU resources.

Reply #47
For ripping and converting I use dbpoweramp and tag with mp3tag and magictagger.  For management I use iTunes because of Coverflow. 

I've considered foobar but I found myself wasting too much time trying to customize it.  If I had the skills and knowhow I have no doubt foobar would be my first choice.

Reply #48
Some time ago I had Winamp as Player. But the performance was really worse and it started to crash a lot and the speed was very slow.
For  a year I think I use foobar. At first I was wondering why so many people are so nuts on foobar. Now I couldn't imagine to live without. I like to customize the player myself.
I use Foobar2000 for everything I need.

But I must admit that I have also jetaudio on my PC because of some friends who don't like foobar and who want to have a player similar to winamp.
Jetaudio is an all in one Player for audio and video. That is pretty cool.

But I must say I use Foobar 98% of the time.

Reply #49

i use Foobar on a flashdrive.  i can go to any project office & plug-in the flash, iPod & Grados.