Skip to main content
Topic: recommend linux software (Read 3105 times) previous topic - next topic

recommend linux software

I know this topic has been discussed to death hear but I am extremely new to the Linux community.  I recently installed Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3 and I am looking for a good jukebox software.  My main goal in installing Linux was to use my PS3 as a media hub as the PS3 is not compatible with iTunes AAC ID tag info.  I am familiar with programs like iTunes and foobar2000 so a Linux program that has a UI similar to those would be nice.  I tried installing RealPlayer 10 and it installed but I cannot open the program.

recommend linux software

Reply #1
I am familiar with programs like iTunes and foobar2000 so a Linux program that has a UI similar to those would be nice.

Try Amarok.  After searching for various audio catalog/player programs myself, I ended up liking this one the best.  Not ever having used iTunes or foobar2k, I don't know if the UI is similar, but I do think it's fairly good.

recommend linux software

Reply #2
My favourite is Sonata + MPD. Gapless playback with a no thrills usable UI = perfect for me.

recommend linux software

Reply #3
I know this topic has been discussed to death hear but I am extremely new to the Linux community.  I recently installed Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3 and I am looking for a good jukebox software.  My main goal in installing Linux was to use my PS3 as a media hub as the PS3 is not compatible with iTunes AAC ID tag info.  I am familiar with programs like iTunes and foobar2000 so a Linux program that has a UI similar to those would be nice.  I tried installing RealPlayer 10 and it installed but I cannot open the program.

I'm quite happy with Amarok. Its layout is similar to iTunes:
It doesn't natively support ReplayGain, but there's a custom script that automatically adjusts the volume slider to simulate the same behaviour. There's a vast amount of scripts available for download through the player's script manager, e.g. automatic lyrics and cover downloads, transcoders, a custom fullscreen mode and so on. To get full MP4 tag reading/writing compatibility you might also be forced to compile Amarok by yourself. At least the Kubuntu repository doesn't provide a package which is successfully able to handle iTunes tags - possibly for legal reasons. It lacks reading support for certain genres, writing doesn't work at all, hence I compiled Amarok myself with MP4 reading/writing capabilities explicitly enabled. Problem is, for a Linux beginner getting a compile running can be a tough job, even with this nice little guide. But it would certainly be a good exercise if you attempted to do that by yourself.

Amarok relies on the xine engine, which doesn't support gapless playback in both iTunes' and Nero AAC's cases (a few other formats work, though). A gap killer isn't included as well, hence crossfading is the only option to get some pseudo-gapless playback running.  Besides, though Amarok is a KDE project it also runs on alternative desktop environments. You'll just need to download a few KDE libraries in order to make Amarok work.

Songbird's similarity to iTunes is very obvious. It's based on Mozilla's technology and offers AAC support too. I don't know how well the latter works, since I've only been evaluating an early test version for a few days some months ago. I also didn't test anything besides Vorbis, MP3 and FLAC with Songbird.

Edit: Uh, about this issue:
I tried installing RealPlayer 10 and it installed but I cannot open the program.

Typing "realplay" in the console should do the job. You could also add this command to the desktop or the distribution's program menu.

recommend linux software

Reply #5
I think I will give Amarok a try.  Since I am extremely new to the Linux world, all its language seems a little strange.  I found many good players but they were only offering up the source code, no binary or installation files, which really didn't help me.  I tried typing in realplay in the console and it still didn't come up with anything.  I don't know if the installation went smoothly or not.  Anyway, thanks for the replies and I will give Amarok a go.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018