Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How To Check For Corrupt FLAC Files (Read 19694 times) previous topic - next topic

How To Check For Corrupt FLAC Files

Hello,

Is there any way to check for corrupt FLAC files?  I have a Cowon mp3 player, the IAudio X5 60gb and all my files are in FLAC format.  A couple of times it got stuck, I sent it back to Cowon and both times they said it was because of bad files.  First time I ripped my cds using fb2k to FLAC, then when I got my mp3 player back from service I re-ripped them (all 400 cds, also in FLAC) using dBpoweramp with all the error checking enabled and the same thing happend.  The people at Cowon reassured me it was my files and based on what I noticed I tend to believe them.  It only only happens on certain songs.  Is there any way that I could check those specific songs to see if they were properly encoded in FLAC?  If so, to I need to re-rip the cds or is there an easier way to fix them??

I tried running the decoder validator in fb2k for the suspected song and it gave me the following error:

Generating reference decoding data ...
Executing test : "simple decode" ...
Executing test : "random access" ...
Executing test : "file hint" ...
Error while performing test: Test aborted: could not lock the file (Sharing violation)
There were errors.

Can that be fixed?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

Reply #1
Best GUI based FLAC Checker I know of is AudioTester, by James Chapman. It has just been updated with the latest FLAC 1.2.0 support also.

Get AudioTester here:  http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php

Reply #3
>dBpoweramp with all the error checking enabled and the same thing
>happend. The people at Cowon reassured me it was my files and
> based on what I noticed I tend to believe them.

Sounds like they are passing the buck. Anyhow:

If you look in dBpoweramp Configuration, for Codecs >> Advanced  switch on the stop if decoding FLAC error. Then load dBpoweramp Batch Converter, select the root folder of yor audio, filter to FLAC files only if there are others and convert, select Test Conversion. If the files pass that then the can be decoded as identical as came from the CD, if other programs can decode the FLACs why cannot the Cowon?

Reply #4
If you look in dBpoweramp Configuration, for Codecs >> Advanced  switch on the stop if decoding FLAC error. Then load dBpoweramp Batch Converter, select the root folder of yor audio, filter to FLAC files only if there are others and convert, select Test Conversion. If the files pass that then the can be decoded as identical as came from the CD, if other programs can decode the FLACs why cannot the Cowon?
[/quote]

Spoon, thank you for the response.  I tried doing that but cannot see a "Test Conversion" option on my dBpoweramp Batch Converter.  All there is left to right: Convert, Refresh, Reset and Filter, then the Key: with the three little boxes.  Since I have the full version, is there anything else I'm not doing right to get to that?

Reply #5
Click Convert then for encoder select test conversion.

Reply #6
Spoon,

the files tested ok...  I'll contact Cowon and let them know.  Also, I just want to say that I enjoy using dBpoweramp, it's a great product. 

Thanks.

Reply #7
Hello there,

if you look in the FLAC folder (at least with v1.1.4 and above) you should find a flactester executable program that will bring up a dialog box from where you can add folders to check.

Hope this helps

Hello,

Is there any way to check for corrupt FLAC files?  I have a Cowon mp3 player, the IAudio X5 60gb and all my files are in FLAC format.  A couple of times it got stuck, I sent it back to Cowon and both times they said it was because of bad files.  First time I ripped my cds using fb2k to FLAC, then when I got my mp3 player back from service I re-ripped them (all 400 cds, also in FLAC) using dBpoweramp with all the error checking enabled and the same thing happend.  The people at Cowon reassured me it was my files and based on what I noticed I tend to believe them.  It only only happens on certain songs.  Is there any way that I could check those specific songs to see if they were properly encoded in FLAC?  If so, to I need to re-rip the cds or is there an easier way to fix them??

I tried running the decoder validator in fb2k for the suspected song and it gave me the following error:

Generating reference decoding data ...
Executing test : "simple decode" ...
Executing test : "random access" ...
Executing test : "file hint" ...
Error while performing test: Test aborted: could not lock the file (Sharing violation)
There were errors.

Can that be fixed?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.
Foobar 9.6.9, FLAC 1.2.1b, EAC 0.99 pb 5
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit