Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rockbox & Oggs (Read 6204 times) previous topic - next topic

Rockbox & Oggs

I have finally switched to rockbox on my iRiver H320 and very impressed so far, I was just wondering if the battery life lasts longer while playing oggs through rockbox then using the normal iRiver H320 firmware.
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Rockbox & Oggs

Reply #1
Hybridfan,

I am using Rockbox on my iPod Video and primarily play OGG/Vorbis. At least on the iPod's, it's generally known that the code isn't fully optimized yet and therefore battery life is a bit less than the default firmware. For me, the trade-off is well worth it.

Cheers,
Pete

Rockbox & Oggs

Reply #2
Just browsing some threads on the rockbox forum, it looks like people are getting the same battery life as the original firmware while playing mp3.

But one thing to keep in mind, with rockbox, ogg actually decodes faster then mp3 on most cpu platforms, so you should in theory get mp3 equivilent or better battery life with rockbox

Rockbox & Oggs

Reply #3
But one thing to keep in mind, with rockbox, ogg actually decodes faster then mp3 on most cpu platforms, so you should in theory get mp3 equivilent or better battery life with rockbox

MP3 decodes quicker than Vorbis on Rockbox (and on most platforms, as Vorbis is a more complex codec).

See here: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main...manceComparison

Please note, those tests were completed about 3 weeks ago. Some libmad optimizations have recently been committed that have increased performance by about 10-15% on ARM.

Rockbox & Oggs

Reply #4
Thanks for the info guys
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed: