Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Spin up drive" in EAC results in much longer rip times? (Read 6115 times) previous topic - next topic

"Spin up drive" in EAC results in much longer rip times?

That's the case with my Pioneer DVR-109.

From a search, I've gathered that spinning up the drive before extraction usually speeds up the rip time, but it's the opposite on my system.

How can this be?

Reply #1
I have always enabled this option in the past because I thought it was one of those options that should be enabled. And it makes sense to do spin the drive for the first track; but I don't think it is needed for the entire disc. In my experience, once the disc is going, it doesn't slow down until the disc has completed the ripping process (unless there are scratches on the disc).

But I am beginning to wonder if enabling this option is even necessary now. Even with this option turned on, none of my newer disc drives (ie. Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1S) have actually started spinning until after ripping had already started. Just as a test, I tried turning this option off. A test and copy produced matching CRCs and AccurateRip reported that the rip was accurate.

Reply #2
Ditto.  Use CRC and accuraterip to check.  Only enable it if you need it.  Made a big difference for me in Burst mode with T&C and accurate rip.  I now do perfect 4min rips and go to a second drive configured for Secure Mode if accuraterip lets me down (rare on standard albums)

Reply #3
It's also my experience that it takes much longer to spin up the drive instead of starting the rip immediately. I always use burst with test+copy, and it usually results in a timing error *when* the drive speedsup during extraction, but it never affects the quality of the rip.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #5
With my recent manufacture Lite-On CD-RW drive, enabling that option results in the drive coming to a complete halt after every track so it can spin-up again from zero before starting the next track.

Reply #6
Do you have 'Synchronize between tracks' ticked too ?

Reply #7
I do. What is the relevance?

Reply #8
It's also my experience that it takes much longer to spin up the drive instead of starting the rip immediately. I always use burst with test+copy, and it usually results in a timing error *when* the drive speedsup during extraction, but it never affects the quality of the rip.

I get timing errors either with drive spin up ticked or not.

Looks like I've found out something interesting here. Please, take a look.

Reply #9
Timing problems Timing errors are perfectly normal and have been discussed to death already.

Feel free to search the web.  You just might find something about it on the EAC website.

Reply #10
Timing errors are perfectly normal and have been discussed to death already.

Feel free to search the web.  You just might find something about it on the EAC website.

Gonna look into it.

Thanks.

Reply #11
There's also the official site for support:
http://www.digital-inn.de/forum271/

...though I think Andre stoped fielding questions about timing problems long ago.