Skip to main content
Topic: Flac playback in WMP11 (Vista) (Read 3831 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac playback in WMP11 (Vista)

Is there anything recent that will play Flac files reliably in WMP11 in Vista?

I've tried the stable, and latest releases of CoreFlac and Illinimable directSHow filters, but though they both work; they don't seem very stable - seeking back & forth in a large Flac file seems to readily confuse WMP11 and make it stop responding.

Thanks
NigelS

Reply #1
Is there anything recent that will play Flac files reliably in WMP11 in Vista?

I've tried the stable, and latest releases of CoreFlac and Illinimable directSHow filters, but though they both work; they don't seem very stable - seeking back & forth in a large Flac file seems to readily confuse WMP11 and make it stop responding.
Just about the only thing reliable about FLAC playback in WMP11 is the tag support via WMPTSE (a 3rd party FLOSS plugin). Good luck with the filters.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #2
[/quote]Just about the only thing reliable about FLAC playback in WMP11 is the tag support via WMPTSE (a 3rd party FLOSS plugin). Good luck with the filters.
[/quote]

I take it there is nothing else then? 

What about foobar? I used to use this in WinXP to playback Flac files, would this be a better bet than WMP11 and the dirsctshow filters in Vista?

NigelS

Reply #3
What about foobar? I used to use this in WinXP to playback Flac files, would this be a better bet than WMP11 and the dirsctshow filters in Vista?
If you prefer foobar's featureset to WMP's, yes - foobar's native support is far better.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #4
Foobar is a pretty good player, once you get sorted with pui you can have a player that looks and fits vista better than WMP11 anyway.
hi

Reply #5
Winamp would be a decent alternative as well, since it has offered native FLAC support for quite some time now. In fact the player's general features have heavily improved during the latest releases, especially in the current 5.3x branch.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018