Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Increase low freq response (Read 3807 times) previous topic - next topic

Increase low freq response

I found that there is a 470 uF capacitor connected in series before my 60mm dia. computer speaker, can I replace it with a 3300 uF capacitor to get more bass response?

and I have already enlarged (1uF->10uF) the input decoupling cap before the amplifier IC, the bass has slightly increased.

Thanks for reply

Reply #1
I found that there is a 470 uF capacitor connected in series before my 60mm dia. computer speaker, can I replace it with a 3300 uF capacitor to get more bass response?

Using a 3300 uF cap would certainly lower the high-pass frequency, but you're just not going to get much bass out of a 60mm driver, it's just too small.  Messing with the capacitor can't change that.  Furthermore, lowering the high-pass filter with a different capacitor might result in damage to the speaker as it tries to deal with frequencies it shouldn't be seeing.

Reply #2
Can you try a software equalizer?

Reply #3
Another danger of increasing the capacitor is that you could increase the "inrush" current every time you turn on your computer. This could eventually damage the speaker and/or the drive circuitry.

Reply #4
My amp IC is TEA2025B, I don't know it is precise or not?

Reply #5
Ok, let's put some physics in place here.

Above the frequency at which a room begins to act like a pressure chamber (i.e. when it's longest dimension is shorter than a half-wavelength, give or take), the amount of signal from a radiator that is smaller than a wavelength is very nearly equal to the volume velocity times f squared.

This means that in order to drop your bass frequency by an octave, you need to move 4 times as much air, either by 4x the excursion in the speaker or by doubling the diameter of the radiator (if round, of course).

How much air can your 2.37" speaker move?
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston