Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: which output is better in playback mp3? (Read 3992 times) previous topic - next topic

which output is better in playback mp3?

waveout?
directsound?
directsound ssrc?

Reply #1
directsound, definitely. use it if it works.
choice of ssrc depends on your hardware. if your audio hardware does decent resampling, then hardware will save cpu overhead. if you have a pretty powerful pc and can still achieve 0-1% cpu in fast resampling mode, or if your hardware resampling sucks (e.g. sblive), then use ssrc with fast resample.

Reply #2
thx.
is resample necessary when i playback a 44.1khz 16 bit mp3 in a 16 bit soundcard?

Reply #4
generally, no, but if you have an AC97 compliant soundcard - yes

I have AC97 sound card and I didn't knew that... why I should resample sound and what frequency should I chose?

Big thanks!

Reply #5
generally, no, but if you have an AC97 compliant soundcard - yes

I have AC97 sound card and I didn't knew that... why I should resample sound and what frequency should I chose?

Big thanks!

but you have an SB128? IIRC that card don't resample, I think it's an Ensoniq rebadge or something.
In other case it's 48kHz

Reply #6
directsound, definitely. use it if it works

Can anyone give me a reason why directsound should give a better output than waveout? Is there really any difference?

I know the advantage used to be that directsound would allow other programs to use the sound card concurrently. With WinXP, this is not a problem as all sound is concurrent.

Reply #7
directsound allows you to use hardware mixing on win2k/xp (waveout doesnt), you often need it to prevent stuttering when some other programs hump CPU. apart from that, sound output should be identical (unless your soundcard has problems with hardware mixing).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #8
With WaveOut the sounds is a bit louder and the volume control works better (at least with Sound Blaster PCI 128 and Winamp).
With Direct Sound if you set the volume to %20 it takes 1-2 seconds to reach the selected volume level, with WaveOut is immediate.
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]