Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What to put in tag's? (Read 3207 times) previous topic - next topic

What to put in tag's?

Hi,

I started ripping my cd's about 6/7 years ago and back then, don't know why, I thought I would never need to use tags and so my entire collection is tagless.

To make mattes worse, I would only copy the songs in an album that I liked, discarding the remaining tracks. Then I grouped everything from the same artist under a folder with the same name as the artist and dumped there every music I had ripped from various cd's of that aritist. For example, if I have 3 cd's from Queen, I would select the song's I liked in each cd, than rip all of them to a folder named Queen.

With compilation's, OST's and albums with various artists, I would copy them to a folder with the album name (as such, I have the album information for the files that came from this types of albums).

The result of all this is that I don't have any album information for the other files.

Recently, I began tagging my whole collection (using Foobar2000/Masstagger) and I'm pretty much finished (the filenames I gave the files when ripping, contained all the information I wanted tagged, so it was pretty quick) except for the album information on files from single artist cd's (e.g. Queen).

My question to you is: what should I put as %album% information on those files?

P.S. I'm using APEv2/ID3v2.4 for MP3, APEv2 for WavPack, FLAC tags for FLAC

Thanks for your input and opinions

What to put in tag's?

Reply #1
So you made your own custom compilations, eh? Mp3gain'em all to be the same loudness, make your own name for a compilation, and use it as ALBUM tag. That's how I do it when making custom compilations.

H.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

What to put in tag's?

Reply #2
I put labels in parentheses, to distinguish them from proper titles.
Thus I would tag the album as "(Unknown)" if you don't follow hlloyge's excellent idea, or if you don't go through the effort of tracking down the proper information for all your tracks.
Creature of habit.

What to put in tag's?

Reply #3
you don't have to fill in every field.  why not just leave it blank?  that makes more sense than putting in fake album titles.  do the "custom compilation" thing using playlists.

What to put in tag's?

Reply #4
I'm not trying to fill in every field... Just Album and Artist tags...

Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions. I've decided to put "(Unknown)" in the songs for which I don't know the album.

Thanks

What to put in tag's?

Reply #5
My question to you is: what should I put as %album% information on those files?

in 'title', i'll put "%title% - %artist% - %album%'.  (i use 'MP3Tag"; i find it easy to re-format the CDDB tags to the format.)
in 'album', i'll put something like "50s Singles" or "90s Singles" to reflect the general classification.
in 'artist', i'll put something like "Various Artists" or "Various Folk" again for general classification.