Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Weird Apply ReplayGain to MP3 problem (Read 2438 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird Apply ReplayGain to MP3 problem

I was using foobar2000 to batch apply ReplayGain to my MP3s when at the end the process, several files (~300 out of my 2000 MP3) had this error:

"An error occured while processing xxx: Not a MPEG layer 3 file".

I tested one of the albums where one of the tracks had this error and found the following when I tried to apply ReplayGain to the files:

- Using fb2k 0.9.4.2 to scan the tracks, one of the tracks had the above error.
- Using fb2k 0.8.3 to scan the tracks, and fb2k 0.9.4.2 to apply RG, *all* of the tracks had the above error.
- Using MP3Gain to scan the tracks and fb2k 0.9.4.2 to apply RG, *none* of the tracks had the error.

With the above 3 scenarios, each of the tests were conducted with a 'fresh' batch of MP3s converted from FLAC originals.

Can the developers help with this issue?

Reply #1
I have now for the first time used this feature of fb2k and experienced the exact same thing as the OP, where fb2k stated that 3 tracks out of 9 albums weren't MPEG1 Layer 3 files. All the 9 albums where transcoded to MP3 with fb2k from WavPack images with embedded cuesheets and i selected to let fb2k do RG scanning on the output files after the conversion. I have tried to test the files that where making a problem in fb2k with mp3Val and encspotconsole and no errors where reported. I also played the files in fb2k and no errors where either reported there. finally, i rebuilt the stream on those MP3's with fb2k and tried to apply RG on them again and the same error message appeared. I then tried to apply the gain change with metamp3.exe instead, which incorporates the mp3gain sources for RG scanning/applying and then the gain was applied without any errors reported.

I would really appreciate if someone with the needed knowledge could please tell me if this is an issue that is known allready or not ?

Thank's in advance.

Reply #3
Hi Borisz.

No, i have an Intel Celeron 1.7GHz, which is identical to a 1.7GHz P4 Willamette, except with only half L2 cache size. Btw, fb2k can RG scan the files with no errors reported, but just not apply the gain directly.

Thank's for your reply, mate.

Reply #4
Ohnestly, then i must confess that i'm feeling a little bit sad that a fb2k dev will not even e.g. say "Not a bug and only a problem on your end", or "we know this and it will be fixed in next version", or something like that. I have written several posts on the fb2k forums in the last year or so, which some of them where only something that fb2k devs would be able to answer and i have nearly always been ignored. I'm almost beginning to take it personally 

Please don't take this as a critique or anything like that, as i know that we are dealing with a freeware software project here and that the fb2k devs certantly do not owe me anything, or that i'm entitled to free support, and i also know that there have only gone two days since i posted, but as i haven't either recieved replyes in the other threads i have made about technical things either, then i'm pretty sure allready that this will go the same way to(and as the OP of this thread also was ignored).

Please just ignore this post, i just needed to let a little steam out

And please know that i am extremely gratefull to the fb2k devs for making such a fine piece of software which even is free also

Edit: Please accept my apology to the fb2k devs for making this post, as i certantly do not want to appear as being ungratefull, or as to be demanding support, or anything like that. I was a little bit to quick to write this post, without thinking it through all the way, so if a MOD sees it fit to delete this post, or remove it to the Recyclebin or something, then i perfectly understand that. Again, sorry about that.

Reply #5
OK, by experimenting a little, then i have found out that the problem only happens when i first rewrite the tags with "Compatibility Mode" enabled and then afterwards apply the gain. All my MP3's have ID3v2.4 tags on them(+ID3v1.1) and if i just apply the gain without rewriting tags first with "Compatibility Mode" enabled, then no error message is displayed in the console. I can now then perfectly workaround this issue, by just applying the gain first and then afterwards rewrite the tags with "Compatibility Mode" enabled, but i just thought that i would let you guys know about this.