Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How works CDDB? (Read 2825 times) previous topic - next topic

How works CDDB?

Hi,
sorry for my english but I'm an Italian student .
I'd like to know how works CDDB, or better, if it's possibile to make mp3 and burn it (in CDDA format) in a CDDB recognizable disk.
I hope it's possible (also with cue, if it nedds)

Thanks 
Real Programmers are surprised when the odometers in their cars don't turn from 000009 to 00000A.

How works CDDB?

Reply #1
there are even attempts to guess the cddb info of mp3 albums:

http://www.renatager.de/ can guess the cddb info for mp3 files, however this is experimental since the cddb lookup is based on toc (table of contents) of the cd: the number of tracks and their playing time - so this works only for full albums in mp3

PsychicMP3 seems to be able to do the same

it's unlikely that your cd-r made from mp3s has the same toc as the original cd
cddb doesn't work if it doesn't have the same toc

How works CDDB?

Reply #2
When i burn cds from mp3s, i make sure that i turn off any gaps in nero... when i do this, if it is a full album, cddb correctly identifys the disks as it would an original.  Anyone else notice this?

How works CDDB?

Reply #3
mumble mumble, I think philips cd recorder cannot make 0 seconds gaps. Maybe joining mp3 and making cuesheet?
Real Programmers are surprised when the odometers in their cars don't turn from 000009 to 00000A.

How works CDDB?

Reply #4
the nature of the mp3 format as you probably know doesnt allow completely gapless playback/recording due to added silence at the beginning and end of each track. But this is negligable when it comes to toc entrys and as long as your burning software doesnt introduce its own gaps (nero by default puts 2 second gaps in between each track, this causes your cd player to count down backwards with a negative figure for 2 seconds in between track changes) cddb should recognise the disk ok...