Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Free legal music downloads... (Read 5358 times) previous topic - next topic

Free legal music downloads...

I've just come across a new music download service that is free for college students (you need a .edu email account to sign up).
www.Ruckus.com
It is based on wma playsforsure drm so it is limited to Windows and other playsforsure devices. The ad supported ruckus player is needed to download the music, but it is playable in any compatible player like winamp. I've found bitrates of 128 to 192 for the songs I've downloaded so far. They have the standard fare of commercial songs you'd expect.
Since this is targeted at what is probably the biggest group of illegal downloaders, so I'd say this is a nice solution for that audience.
Anish

BTW: I'm not affiliated with Ruckus/Microsoft/etc in any way.

To the Moderators: Could somebody move this to the general music forum.

Free legal music downloads...

Reply #1
I've just come across a new music download service that is free for college students (you need a .edu email account to sign up).
www.Ruckus.com
It is based on wma playsforsure drm so it is limited to Windows and other playsforsure devices. The ad supported ruckus player is needed to download the music, but it is playable in any compatible player like winamp. I've found bitrates of 128 to 192 for the songs I've downloaded so far. They have the standard fare of commercial songs you'd expect.
Since this is targeted at what is probably the biggest group of illegal downloaders, so I'd say this is a nice solution for that audience.
Anish

BTW: I'm not affiliated with Ruckus/Microsoft/etc in any way.

To the Moderators: Could somebody move this to the general music forum.

It is only free for 3 days.  after that they charge