Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lap-top: Bypassing the headphone amp? (Read 3092 times) previous topic - next topic

Lap-top: Bypassing the headphone amp?

I have recently purchased a Dell Laptop with a Sigmatel STAC9200 Codec and Azalia High Definition Audio
. The laptop has only one headphone line out. Is it possible to reconfigure this line-out so that it sends out an un-amplified signal?

Reply #1
I have recently purchased a Dell Laptop with a Sigmatel STAC9200 Codec and Azalia High Definition Audio
. The laptop has only one headphone line out. Is it possible to reconfigure this line-out so that it sends out an un-amplified signal?

First, I am not even sure there is a small amplifier circuit after the codec. And if there is one, its distortion when driving the input impedance of a normal amplifier would be minimal.
Second, any mod implies opening your laptop and dealing with surface mount components, with good chances of destroying your sound interface or the whole notebook.
So, all in all, I advise you against it.
Conclusion: leave your headphone output alone and just use it as a line-out.

If you need an attenuator, just solder a couple of resistors on a jack.

Reply #2
You could get an external sound card - USB to line out. Some are quite small.
EAC secure | FLAC  --best -V -b 4096 | LAME 3.97 -V0 -q0 -b32