Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC with Plextor PX-230A: suggested settings? (Read 10333 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC with Plextor PX-230A: suggested settings?

Hi

I've just bought myself a Plextor PX-230A which I want to use for DAE with EAC. Can anyone suggest what settings I should use in EAC for the best results possible?

I got Plex Tools Professional with the drive, is this better than EAC for perfect rips?

Thanks
Jewson

Reply #1
My suggestion would be to go for Plextools since you have a Plextor drive - easier to set up, faster rips at equal drive speeds and accurate enough.

Reply #2
Thanks Emanuel.

When you say "accurate enough", is it more or less accurate than EAC and DB PowerAmp?

Reply #3
Jayson, your title, a part from very confusing, is against our TOS. Something like:

EAC with Plextor PX-230A: settings for the best results possible?

would be much more descriptive.

Reply #4
>When you say "accurate enough", is it more or less accurate than EAC and DB PowerAmp?

Plextools does not have AccurateRip (assuming your disc was in the AR database with a reasonable confidence), so I would say EAC and dBpowerAMP when verified with AccurateRip are more accurate.

Reply #5
Sure, but simply using AccurateRip doesn't make a rip accurate.  I say this because I have found with my collection that PlexTools is more accurate than EAC or dBpowerAMP with my PX-716A; it can accurately rip tracks that they can't.

I can't speak for the PX-230A, however.  It is not a real Plextor drive.

Reply #6
Errors that get through c2 with c2 on in eac will NOT BE REPORTED.  In the alpha version of dbpoweramp they will.  plextools only checks c2, dbpoweramp takes that further.  thats my recommendation.

Reply #7
If you do a little searching, you'll see that PlexTools and EAC don't handle C2 pointers in the same way.

EDIT: Not to mention that EAC doesn't have to be configured to use C2 pointers.

Reply #8
My suggestion would be to go for Plextools since you have a Plextor drive - easier to set up, faster rips at equal drive speeds and accurate enough.

Plextools with PX-230A is nothing more than buffered burst reading since the so-called 'advanced DAE error recovery options' aren't available for the 230A ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #9
Now assuming the OP wants to use EAC considering that PlexTools is proabably out...
I've just bought myself a Plextor PX-230A which I want to use for DAE with EAC. Can anyone suggest what settings I should use in EAC for the best results possible?

Depending on the condition of your discs, I'd go with either Burst T&C, Secure T&C (with C2 if supported), or Secure T&C (without C2 even if supported).    T&C is not needed if the rip is verified good by AccurateRip.

Seriously, there is no one magical setting that will apply in all cases.  I have not yet seen a daequality test with the PX-230A drive.  Has anyone posted any results for this drive?

(spoon's new ripper is certainly worth trying also!)

Reply #10
Errors that get through c2 with c2 on in eac will NOT BE REPORTED.

Although not very specific, we can just look at the track quality score. If it is 100%, then it shows that the drive hasen't returned any C2 pointers. If under 100% and still "No errors occured", then the drive has returned C2 pointers, and EAC might(or might not!) have choosen the correct samples by it's majority voting algorythm.

Reply #11
>Sure, but simply using AccurateRip doesn't make a rip accurate.

Depends how you look at it. There is one CD in AccurateRip with a confidence of around 140! (so the odds are 4 billion to power of 140, a huge confidence), so you rip that in EAC or dBpowerAMP and AccurateRip says it is accurate, it is. If you were to rip it in Plextools you would not know, even if it reported no errors, that a c2 error had slipped through...

Reply #12

Plextools with PX-230A is nothing more than buffered burst reading since the so-called 'advanced DAE error recovery options' aren't available for the 230A ...

JeanLuc, that´s true. My opinion above was based upon "real" Plextor drives. On 230A I have no opinion - my mistake for not paying enough attention.

Reply #13
>Sure, but simply using AccurateRip doesn't make a rip accurate.

Depends how you look at it. There is one CD in AccurateRip with a confidence of around 140! (so the odds are 4 billion to power of 140, a huge confidence), so you rip that in EAC or dBpowerAMP and AccurateRip says it is accurate, it is. If you were to rip it in Plextools you would not know, even if it reported no errors, that a c2 error had slipped through...

You misunderstood me, I suppose others have as well.

AccurateRip can only tell you if your rip is accurate or not.  It cannot actively make your rip accurate.

So long as it isn't my own submission, a confidence of *1* is all I need to know that my rip was accurate...
...let alone 140! 

I am able to test my PlexTools rips with AccurateRip, BTW; just not directly.

Regarding this 4 billion figure that Spoon is throwing around, for it to be valid, there will have to be equal coverage of all data and that any checksum is just as likely as any other.  History will show this to be false:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry756260

Reply #15

I would like to know how you do this greynol???

Also, does anyone know if there is a reason PlexTools has not incorporated accuraterip into their program, as Spoon makes it very clear it is available to ANY program, except Easy CD-DA Extractor.

Thx

Reply #16

I would like to know how you do this greynol???

Also, does anyone know if there is a reason PlexTools has not incorporated accuraterip into their program, as Spoon makes it very clear it is available to ANY program, except Easy CD-DA Extractor.

Thx

Just hoping someone might be able to answer the two questions above, thanks.

Reply #17
Can't answer the second one, but for the first you just mount an image to a virtual drive and test it with EAC or dBpowerAMP.  If you don't want to go the virtual route, you can always burn to CD-RW.