Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FHG mp3 VBR with JS? (Read 5950 times) previous topic - next topic

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Anyone knows Fraunhofer MP3 encoder implementation that actually uses Joint-Stereo when encoding in VBR mode?

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Reply #1
If i remember right the Cooledit Pro plugin was of this kind. www.ff123.net has plenty of info about older fhg codecs. You may have a look over there.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Reply #2
I remember the one from the recent MP3@128 pre-test discussion.

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Reply #3
Thanks for the tips, the CoolEdit plugin (MP3 Me) does not use joint-stereo in VBR. MMJB uses Joint-stereo, but the mp3s encoded by MMJB with joint-stereo actually sound worse than those encoded with CoolEdit with simple stereo (at the same bitrate)! This is weird.

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Reply #4
Just a bit off-topic:

Why are you interested in FhG?
As for me I was interested in FhG behavior now that there is a real-bad pre-echo sample out there (eig).
However none of the FhG encoders I tried do a good job on it even at cbr 320. My Lame favorite (3.90.3) to me performs as well using --alt-preset 270.
Moreover from my other favorite problem samples harp40_1, herding_calls, trumpet I know FhG's VBR behavior is pretty bad.
So I'm a bit disappointed about FhG Encoders.

At the moment I do intensive tests with Helix which has a very good VBR behavior, in general and especially with 'my' bad samples, and an unusal good pre-echo behavior compared to other mp3 encoders when it comes to eig. It's good to me already with -V120 (~200 kbps) and level's setting, and even better with -V150. Unfortunately Helix' HF behavior isn't perfect and I'm about to find out what this exactly means.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Reply #5
I am interested in FHG because I like its VBR quality at medium-low bitrates (~100kbps). I am sure that with properly implemented joint stereo it should give some respectable quality.

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Reply #6
I think I found answer to my question: FHG encoder probably incorrectly states in the header that the file is in Stereo mode. When you run the file through vbrfix, you will see that its actually Joint stereo.

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Reply #7
I am interested in FHG because I like its VBR quality at medium-low bitrates (~100kbps).
Exactly which FHG encoder are you using?

You might want to check out XING v1.5 at -V 30 (maybe even -V 50 without sfb21 will be that low of a bitrate.. if you can find the encoder  )  I still prefer lame 3.93.1 at ~100kbps, but I would like to compare that with the encoder that you seem to like.
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

FHG mp3 VBR with JS?

Reply #8
I am interested in FHG because I like its VBR quality at medium-low bitrates (~100kbps).

Exactly which FHG encoder are you using?

EasyMP3's implementation of FastEnc. I think CoolEdit Pro with the MP3 plugin works well too. You can use the "fastencc" from Rarewares, but it has nasty stereo bug in VBR (quite rare but you will know when it comes) which cannot be fixed with the "-hq" switch. The particular setting I like is this: set bitrate to 112kbps (adjusts lowpass) or 128 kbps if you like more high frequencies, set VBR level to 30 or 25 (around 105kbps)