Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any difference between FLAC and Apple Lossless, in terms of sound qual (Read 7849 times) previous topic - next topic

Any difference between FLAC and Apple Lossless, in terms of sound qual

I can see there are pros and cons for these two formats, most of which are related to such functional aspects as enconding/decoding speed, software and hardware compatibility, tagging and etc.

What about sound quality? Can I safely assume that there is no substantial difference in terms of the end quality (when properly played) between these two formats? (or across lossless formats including WavPack, Monkey's, Shorten, ...)

Reply #1
I can see there are pros and cons for these two formats, most of which are related to such functional aspects as enconding/decoding speed, software and hardware compatibility, tagging and etc.

What about sound quality? Can I safely assume that there is no substantial difference in terms of the end quality (when properly played) between these two formats? (or across lossless formats including WavPack, Monkey's, Shorten, ...)

Lossless, is lossless, is lossless.

A lossless file, once decoded, is mathematically identical to the WAV file that it was encoded from. They sound the same because they are the same.

Reply #2

"All lossless codecs sound equal, but some sound more equal than others..." 
By definition, all lossless codecs have exactly the same "sound quality" as the original PCM file. They are usually (and should be) compared on other features, i.e. use the one that suits you better, in terms of listening habits, implementation available for your particular OS, compression ratios and speed, etc.

(edit) A nasty habit of mine, it seems, a link to the excellent HA Knowledgebase:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...less_comparison

Reply #3

"All lossless codecs sound equal, but some sound more equal than others..." 
By definition, all lossless codecs have exactly the same "sound quality" as the original PCM file. They are usually (and should be) compared on other features, i.e. use the one that suits you better.

yes.. some are a bit thicker around the middle than others, whereas others again might have more than 2 armholes.

Reply #4
Gosh, isn't there a FAQ, Wiki article or forum sticky for these kind of questions? If yes, then simply post a link and close thread.

Reply #5
Gosh, isn't there a FAQ, Wiki article or forum sticky for these kind of questions? If yes, then simply post a link and close thread.

There is a forum sticky (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33232) which links to the wiki, there is a wiki (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison) and you can contribute to the FAQ!