Skip to main content
Topic: Foobar on a Mac (Read 11229 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar on a Mac

Above picture shows foobar running under the new coherency mode of the new parallels for OSX. I was just going to toss this in the appearance thread but figured I might as well start this in case others have other ideas/problems running foobar on a mac.

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #1
how would i go about transfering my windows foobar to mac? take it you cant just import or even transfer the folder?

another off post question. You know the remote you get with Mac Book Pros? can you get one similar for the PC? i love that thing its so handy - not sure if it only works in iTunes tho.

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #2
how would i go about transfering my windows foobar to mac? take it you cant just import or even transfer the folder?

another off post question. You know the remote you get with Mac Book Pros? can you get one similar for the PC? i love that thing its so handy - not sure if it only works in iTunes tho.

Yes you can, as what he is doing is running a separate Windows installation in a virtual enviroment, Parallels. Works just like any other Windows, I've transfered my own Foobar that way

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #3
Isn't there a way to make it use like, mac GUI styles? It looks ugly as sin in a little classic windows box :X
hi

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #4
There's probably no way you could ever reliably convert a Windows GUI to Aqua, but i have seen Parallels running with Luna, so i assume it's possible to get an Aqua-type visual style and use that. Wouldn't be perfect but it'd be pretty close.
~

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #5
Windows visual styles work under parallels so yes you should be able to get an OSX Aqua lookalike theme for windows then it will blend in better.

As for copying your existing foobar config, parallels is virtual machine technology and runs windows on it's own virtual partition so all you need to do is copy your foobar2000 directory over just like you would when moving from 1 copy of windows to another.

As for the remote, I'd suggest looking around and see if you can find bootcamp drivers for the remote to work under windows. If they exist you can probably get it to work.

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #6

(Click for larger image)

Aaaaand You got Crossover for Mac as well. Currently in BETA it's working very well.

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #7
Damn i have been fighting with itunes.... Now i want to use my foobar.

But a quick question. Does your music needs to be on a separate partition?
Can i use as a library the music i have on my ipod?(i mean music stored on an ipod used like a mass storage since i use rockbox)

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #8
Saivert : I mnaged to hve foobar on my mac but i have one issue. The sound is not that good, there is a constant noise even when the music is blank. Trying to see where it came from i went to the output preferences of foobar and the output device is empty. By mistake i chose null and now i have no sound. Is there some drivers i have to install? Do you have this problem?

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #9
Saivert : I mnaged to hve foobar on my mac but i have one issue. The sound is not that good, there is a constant noise even when the music is blank. Trying to see where it came from i went to the output preferences of foobar and the output device is empty. By mistake i chose null and now i have no sound. Is there some drivers i have to install? Do you have this problem?

Same here, always been like that with CrossOver :/ So I use Parallels instead. And I have a real Mac too, goddamn pirates!!!11

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #10
I've tried crossover before with other programs and continually had bad luck. But I just got around to giving it a try with foobar and it is running smooth for me. I'm not encountering any audio clipping at all. There is a problem though, many foobar components require .net 2.0 to function and I dont think it is available for osx. I installed Mono but still could not get queuemanager, singlecolumnplaylist, or trackinfomod to load.

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #11

Eureka! I've figured out how to improve the sound quality in Crossover quite a bit. I haven't done any A/B'ing but I can tell you the constant background noise is gone now when I listen (it made certain kinds of music borderline unlistenable to me). What you need to do is go to the Configure / Manage Bottles menu. Go to the Control Panel tab, and run the winecfg item.

In winecfg, click on the Audio tab. In the DirectSound section, use the following options:

Hardware Acceleration: Emulation
Default Sample Rate: 44100
Default Bits Per Sample: 16
Driver Emulation: Checked

Apply your options, and exit the menu. Then go back to the Control Panel tab and run the reboot item. The next time you launch Foobar it should sound A LOT better. 

I looked at Activity Monitor and it's not causing a huge drain on resources or anything - 1.4% CPU and 42.5mb of RAM (some of that is probably Media Library related, as well). No problems at all so far, no audio skipping, nothing (gapless also seems to work fine).

If anyone else tries this out, feel free to report if different variables work even better (I didn't experiment much with the Driver Emulation settings).

Foobar on a Mac

Reply #12
I've tried crossover before with other programs and continually had bad luck. But I just got around to giving it a try with foobar and it is running smooth for me. I'm not encountering any audio clipping at all. There is a problem though, many foobar components require .net 2.0 to function and I dont think it is available for osx. I installed Mono but still could not get queuemanager, singlecolumnplaylist, or trackinfomod to load.

i could be wrong about this, but i believe that Mono won't work since neither of those plugins use .NET

they use Visual C++ 8.0 which has its own dll. Managed C++ however, is a different story.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019