Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Files getting corrupted (Read 3269 times) previous topic - next topic

Files getting corrupted

I have had this problem with XP ever since I can remember, through countless reinstalls over the past years. Certain files seem to get corrupted all of the time, and it is always the same files, usually program files (not Windows system files). For example, if I use Winamp 5.23, or the latest version of Media Player Classic, the program executables get corrupted at least daily; yet I can insstall other versions of these programs where this NEVER happens. And the corruption is consistent; if I reinstall Windows, and install those programs again, hte SAME files become corrupt again.

I know this doesn't sound audio related, but now every time I use LAME 3.98a7, if I am connected to the internet, the filesize of lame.exe changes. I would love it if someone could tell me that they have had similar experiences and that they have found a solution.

The corruption I refer to I can only see by observing the original filesize of the files getting corrupted and then noticing that the current filesize has changed. By keeping a zipped version of the original file, I can replace the corrupted file with the original, and see that the filesize has changed, and that the file works after being replaced and returning to its original filesize. So I have a lot of zipped copies of files all over my computer, sometimes entire program folders, because programs often get corrupt.

I have done numerous virus scans, used Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and they all say that my system is clean. There are also no suspicious processes in my Task Manager.

How can I monitor these files that are getting corrupted to see what is doing the changing? Because if I simply unplug my internet, the problem is solved.

If this topic is totally inappropriate for this forum, I understand, but I am desperate to fix this problem. So if anyone could suggest a good security forum to check out I would greatly appreciate.

Files getting corrupted

Reply #1
Chances are you have a hardware problem! Overheating, memory error, hd controller error, etc.

Triza

Files getting corrupted

Reply #2
It is remotely possible that the XP source you use is corrupt.

When you reinstall XP, are you reinstalling from the same source?

Files getting corrupted

Reply #3
These problems have persisited for the same files through service pack 1 & 2. Also, from 4 or 5 different install discs. Over this period of time, I have had 4 different hard drives also.

Files getting corrupted

Reply #4
How can I monitor these files that are getting corrupted to see what is doing the changing? Because if I simply unplug my internet, the problem is solved.

FileMon (apparently recently acquired by Microsoft) should do the trick.

Files getting corrupted

Reply #5
Are you doing from-scratch reinstalls, or a you doing overwrite (but not delete) reinstalls?

Is it possible that somehow the XP feature that protects you from the bad consequences of deleting/changing system files (DLLs, etc.) by automatically restoring them is somehow including some of your executables?

Alternately, is it possible that one of your commonly used audio CDs or CD-ROMs/DVD-ROMs/Flash-drives has an autorun root-kit in it?

I've seen some quite clever malware that would either delete/modify/replace anti-malware software executables by filename recognition or, alternately, crash their installers.  It's quite possible something in your environment is infected by something that your current anti-malware software cannot catch or something that is hiding very well from it.

-brendan

Files getting corrupted

Reply #6
Do you ever had any problem of Zip/Rar corruption? You could also create a checksum of important folders and check them constantly...

You may also check:
- IDE cables
- Hardware conflict(s)
- Dust...
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]