Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ipod 5.5th Gen LAME Problems (Read 9584 times) previous topic - next topic

Ipod 5.5th Gen LAME Problems

I'm hoping a guru here can help this newbie out. I had been using Audiograbber to make LAME VBRs for my 4th geb Ipod, and after I bought a new 80gb Ipod, I noticed some of the songs on some seemingly random albums would terminate early on the Ipod and not play to the end, but only on the Ipod, Itunes would be fine. Then I searched the internet and found out there was an issue with Itunes/Ipods and not reading VBR headers right- but I wasn't sure that this was the issue considering I never had the problem on the 4th gen. In any case, I switched converters

Then I tried converting in Itunes, they all worked, but I got glitches from ripping, so I got EAC and just converted some CDs using LAME 3.90 at a fixed rate of 192- but an album that was working fine a few days ago is hanging multiple songs, while another album I ripped at the same time is totally fine. I then switched to LAME 3.97, and I am having the same problem, with the same exact files. The tags are v 2.3, I have tried restoring the ipod multiple times, and in fact today I exchanged my Ipod- still with the same problem on the new one. I in fact took an album that is giving me problems and converted the WAV files from ripping with EAC to Mp3 VBR using Itunes and the songs play all the way through.  I think I have pretty clearly isolated it to some problem with whatever I am doing with LAME.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Help.  Again, this problem only occurs on the ipod, in Itunes it is fine, and if I play the song in Itunes from the Ipod (in manual mode), it works as well.

Reply #1
I have a 5th Gen, 60gb with 1000s of lame encoded mp3 (3.90 to 3.97, vbr) and haven't had the issue you report. They don't skip and play gaplessly on both the ipod and itunes (note, that if you fast forward through a song, the ipod may not work gaplessly....as it somehow has messed up the buffer, but if I play song from beginning, the gapless transition appears perfect). I have seen discussions of skipping the ends of songs in other places.  So you're not the first to report this. 

First, make sure you do NOT have "crossfade playback" turned on in the EDIT/PREFERENCES/PLAYBACK tab.
Second, go ahead and do a clean restore of the IPOD, make sure the system software is up to date, and then resync to your itunes just so you know you're starting with a clean set of files on the IPOD.
Third, it is VERY unlikely that the lame headers are your issue. The IPOD itself doesn't use any information from the tags/headers, etc. ITUNES uses this information, but then creates a library database. The IPOD only uses this database to control things.  So if the songs play OK in itunes, the song files are fine. Your attempts to use a different ripper, encoder, etc. are likely a waste of time with regard to this problem.

Finally, you might search the discussion forums at "ilounge.com" and "www.apple.support" for suggestions. I should warn you though, those forums have lots of missinformation and random postings. But if you search and wade through the nonsense, you sometimes find good suggestions for solving problems.

I'm hoping a guru here can help this newbie out. I had been using Audiograbber to make LAME VBRs for my 4th geb Ipod, and after I bought a new 80gb Ipod, I noticed some of the songs on some seemingly random albums would terminate early on the Ipod and not play to the end, but only on the Ipod, Itunes would be fine. Then I searched the internet and found out there was an issue with Itunes/Ipods and not reading VBR headers right- but I wasn't sure that this was the issue considering I never had the problem on the 4th gen. In any case, I switched converters

Then I tried converting in Itunes, they all worked, but I got glitches from ripping, so I got EAC and just converted some CDs using LAME 3.90 at a fixed rate of 192- but an album that was working fine a few days ago is hanging multiple songs, while another album I ripped at the same time is totally fine. I then switched to LAME 3.97, and I am having the same problem, with the same exact files. The tags are v 2.3, I have tried restoring the ipod multiple times, and in fact today I exchanged my Ipod- still with the same problem on the new one. I in fact took an album that is giving me problems and converted the WAV files from ripping with EAC to Mp3 VBR using Itunes and the songs play all the way through.  I think I have pretty clearly isolated it to some problem with whatever I am doing with LAME.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Help.  Again, this problem only occurs on the ipod, in Itunes it is fine, and if I play the song in Itunes from the Ipod (in manual mode), it works as well.

Reply #2
I have a 2G iPod nano and haven't seen a single issue with my LAME MP3's.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #4
The original poster evidently had no problem with the ipod 4g and lame files. So the question really relates to the 5.5G ipod. I responded with no issues for the 5G and two have said the nano is fine.  It would be really useful if someone with a 5.5 could report on whether they have issues.

I have a 2G iPod nano and haven't seen a single issue with my LAME MP3's.

Same here.

Reply #5
Hi
I have a 80gb Ipod, which is quite new. I havent noticed this problem at all.
Im using foobar to convert my lossless flac library, converting to lame 3.97 V3 and V5. Furthermore i use id3tagv2 (2.4) all the way through(I have itunes showing squared boxes after every tag, but it doesnt show anything wrong on the ipod). I have also disabled as many features in itunes as possible (crossfade, soundcheck etc.)
Hope this helps

Thomas

Reply #6
Well.  Good to know I am unique.  I messed around with my settings in DbPowerAmp and in EAC to set it up for ripping again to make sure I was doing it right,  and my latest conversions seem to have solved the problem with albums I was having trouble with.  Will let you guys know if problems come back, and I will be interested to see if anyone else has this problem.  Hopefully it was uniquely limited to me.....

Hi
Im using foobar to convert my lossless flac library, converting to lame 3.97 V3 and V5. Furthermore i use id3tagv2 (2.4) all the way through(I have itunes showing squared boxes after every tag, but it doesnt show anything wrong on the ipod). I have also disabled as many features in itunes as possible (crossfade, soundcheck etc.)
Hope this helps

Thomas

Reply #7
Well my problem is back.  A rip I made while my Power Supply was on the way out is giving me the same problems.  Interestingly, I transferred the exact same MP3s to my Ipod Shuffle, and it plays all the way through-  so for some reason this is specific to my itunes and Ipod generation 5.5.  Very odd.

Well.  Good to know I am unique.  I messed around with my settings in DbPowerAmp and in EAC to set it up for ripping again to make sure I was doing it right,  and my latest conversions seem to have solved the problem with albums I was having trouble with.  Will let you guys know if problems come back, and I will be interested to see if anyone else has this problem.  Hopefully it was uniquely limited to me.....

Hi
Hope this helps

Thomas

Reply #8
Does seem very odd. Because the itunes software is the same for shuffle and the 5.5. So the only difference could be something in the software/hardware for the IPOD itself. That's a bummer if in fact this is not unique to your particular situation as I use my ipod for playing files when out and about and many (most) are lame vbr files.  I'd be interested in any other 80gb 5.5 owners commenting on whether they have any problems.

The one thing that seems clear is that the ripping is NOT the problem. The files play fine on itunes, on the shuffle, etc. So they're fine.

Well my problem is back.  A rip I made while my Power Supply was on the way out is giving me the same problems.  Interestingly, I transferred the exact same MP3s to my Ipod Shuffle, and it plays all the way through-  so for some reason this is specific to my itunes and Ipod generation 5.5.  Very odd.

Hi
Hope this helps

Thomas

Reply #9
I have a 5G (30 Gb) Ipod and am having the same problem. Never had a problem until I started ripping with Lame -V2 (previously everything was CBR). The song will play find and then upruptly end and hang the Ipod and a little while later the next song will start. This is getting very frustrating. I have tried VBRFix and it does nothing. I have Restored the ipod and still nothing.

What I have noticed though is its only some songs and it seems to be songs over 240 kbps VBR. I have other songs ripped with EAC and Lame -V2 but they are <230kbps and they play perfectly fine and sound amazing.

Does seem very odd. Because the itunes software is the same for shuffle and the 5.5. So the only difference could be something in the software/hardware for the IPOD itself. That's a bummer if in fact this is not unique to your particular situation as I use my ipod for playing files when out and about and many (most) are lame vbr files.  I'd be interested in any other 80gb 5.5 owners commenting on whether they have any problems.

The one thing that seems clear is that the ripping is NOT the problem. The files play fine on itunes, on the shuffle, etc. So they're fine.

Hi
Hope this helps

Thomas

Reply #10
When I updated to itunes 7, it spent a lot of time "calculationg gapless information" or something like that. I also noticed that on the "options" menu of each song (right click on a track, on windows, of course, and chose "Get info", then go to the options tab) it inserted some odd information on some tracks about start and end of track. check if this is not the problem. And on the iPod playlist, see if these tracks have some difference on these files.

Reply #11
So it is not a 5.5 issue perhaps. Not sure why vbrfix should do anything given that the FILES themselves are OK. Have you tested this hypothesis by ripping some songs with lame -V0 (where you should get almost everything with averages as high as 230kbps) and seeing if the problem occurs on all these. I haven't noticed this on my 5G 60GB, although most of the songs I'm playing are lame 3.90 or 3.93 from older rips. i'll play around with this too, but won't be able to report back for a week or so on my results....

I have a 5G (30 Gb) Ipod and am having the same problem. Never had a problem until I started ripping with Lame -V2 (previously everything was CBR). The song will play find and then upruptly end and hang the Ipod and a little while later the next song will start. This is getting very frustrating. I have tried VBRFix and it does nothing. I have Restored the ipod and still nothing.

What I have noticed though is its only some songs and it seems to be songs over 240 kbps VBR. I have other songs ripped with EAC and Lame -V2 but they are <230kbps and they play perfectly fine and sound amazing.

Hi
Hope this helps

Thomas

Reply #12
When I updated to itunes 7, it spent a lot of time "calculationg gapless information" or something like that. I also noticed that on the "options" menu of each song (right click on a track, on windows, of course, and chose "Get info", then go to the options tab) it inserted some odd information on some tracks about start and end of track. check if this is not the problem. And on the iPod playlist, see if these tracks have some difference on these files.

Checked, nothing fishy going on in the options. I just tried checking the Start and End time check boxes. gonna sync and see fi that fixed it.

EDIT: Nothing. It doesnt even save that I checked those boxes and checking the gapless tray box doesn't affect the playback. I just plays fine... all of a sudden jumps to the end of the file and hangs.

Reply #13
Yea- that's the same problem I am having.  Have not figured out a way of fixing the files on the ipod nce that happens.

Checked, nothing fishy going on in the options. I just tried checking the Start and End time check boxes. gonna sync and see fi that fixed it.

EDIT: Nothing. It doesnt even save that I checked those boxes and checking the gapless tray box doesn't affect the playback. I just plays fine... all of a sudden jumps to the end of the file and hangs.

Reply #14
All right.  So I took the same FLACs from the rip of the new problem album and converted to LAME VBR with DBPower Amp and nothing changed, then tried the conversion to LAME CBR- still no change, still crapped out near the end of the song.  Then I took the FLACs and converted back to WAVs and had Itunes do a VBR conversion, and the files play all the way through now on the Ipod.  It seems pretty clear there is something wrong with the way the Ipod handles some LAME conversions.

edit: oh, and the LAME VBRs were all less than 200 average bitrate.

edit: And remember, I've tried it on 2 different Ipods, and the Shuffle now- looks like an Ipod firmware issue.  Guess I should send this to Apple?

Reply #15
I have not found anything either but now that I think about it all of my old rips were with Lame 3.96 and I just recently switched to using EAC and Lame 3.97 and started using Joint Stereo.

Ill try a different version of Lame tonight when I get home. I also try with and without --vbr-new (currently using with)

As far as VBRFix goes I tried it cause there were some people who reported the Ipod working after they ran that.

EDIT: Just played through an album ripped with the exact same settings and it works fine just the highest bit rate song is 225 kpbs,

EDIT: Went back to the album that didnt work, theres a song thats 221 kbps and it doesnt work. So that elimates the bitrate as the problem. But maybe its maximum bitrate? I remember reading somewhere that the Ipod had a problem with switching to higher bitrate during the song due to something Apple did to save battery life...

Reply #16
When I used DP Power AMP to convert the songs, I set the maximum bitrate at 192, and the ipod still choked on the song, not to mention why the CBR would have the same problem?

I have not found anything either but now that I think about it all of my old rips were with Lame 3.96 and I just recently switched to using EAC and Lame 3.97 and started using Joint Stereo.

Ill try a different version of Lame tonight when I get home. I also try with and without --vbr-new (currently using with)

As far as VBRFix goes I tried it cause there were some people who reported the Ipod working after they ran that.

EDIT: Just played through an album ripped with the exact same settings and it works fine just the highest bit rate song is 225 kpbs,

EDIT: Went back to the album that didnt work, theres a song thats 221 kbps and it doesnt work. So that elimates the bitrate as the problem. But maybe its maximum bitrate? I remember reading somewhere that the Ipod had a problem with switching to higher bitrate during the song due to something Apple did to save battery life...

Reply #17
I installed Rockbox and it works fine in there. I reloaded the Apple firmware and am currently trying to rip a known prolbmatic song in different methods to try and figure this out.

EDIT: Tried converting with Lame 3.96.1 and 3.97 using -v2 -v3 and --vbr-net switches.

not using --vbr-new made some songs work but not all. Using -v3 and everything works fine...

Used EAC and Foobar... same results.

Reply #18
So V3 is working all the time on your files?  I'll try it and see if the problem cropsup.

I installed Rockbox and it works fine in there. I reloaded the Apple firmware and am currently trying to rip a known prolbmatic song in different methods to try and figure this out.

EDIT: Tried converting with Lame 3.96.1 and 3.97 using -v2 -v3 and --vbr-net switches.

not using --vbr-new made some songs work but not all. Using -v3 and everything works fine...

Used EAC and Foobar... same results.

Reply #19
I'd be interested in any other 80gb 5.5 owners commenting on whether they have any problems.

I have an 80gb iPod that I've been using for about 1 1/2 months now.  I've been using it constantly and now have it about 80% full and have not noticed any problems.

The only issue I ran into in the beginning was that mp3 files encoded using ALL2LAME and other frontends didn't display the track duration correctly in iTunes.  Based on suggestions here in HA, I switched to using foobar2000 to do my encoding.  This solved that problem.  I'm not sure what version of LAME this translates too.

I'm using the current version of iTunes (it's been updated twice since I bought my iPod)  and the current version of firmware on the iPod.  I am using the current version of foobar2000 (0.9.4.1).  I encode my mp3s in foobar2000 using the -V2 option. 

I have never noticed a track completing before the end.  My wife has an 8GB nano which I load with music from my library and there are no problems with it either.

It sounds like a really strange problem.  I hope you figure it out.

Rich

Reply #20
I've had my 60GB 5G iPod for almost a year now, using iTunes 5-7 and multiple versions of the iPod software, and my iPod is loaded with about 3500 LAME mp3s from V2 to V0 to 320kbps and I've never had a problem with them playing all the way through or not being gapless --- does this only happen on your iPod with LAME mp3s, or do FhG / iTunes mp3s do the same?

Reply #21
I've had my 60GB 5G iPod for almost a year now, using iTunes 5-7 and multiple versions of the iPod software, and my iPod is loaded with about 3500 LAME mp3s from V2 to V0 to 320kbps and I've never had a problem with them playing all the way through or not being gapless --- does this only happen on your iPod with LAME mp3s, or do FhG / iTunes mp3s do the same?

So far its only been with Lame MP3's on the Ipod, Itunes works perfectly. Up until now I have been using 192-320 kbps CBR Stereo/Joint/Dual.

Recently I have started using the Latest Lame with the -v2 --vbr-new preset and these problems have arisen in some MP3's. Some that I rip work and some that I download with the -v2 setting work as well but others don't.

I have tried ripping with Lame v3.6 and v3.7 with the same results I have tried not using --vbr-new and nothing works. However using -v3 --vbr-new seems to be working.

Until I have this figured out I am using rockbox and it works fine.

I have also tried both foobar and EAC to do the converting... Maybe I will try a different program to rip...

EDIT: Ok, using Audiograbber and it works perfectly. Use EAC to rip to Wav and then use Foobar works perfectly. So theres something with the conversion in EAC... and now I cant get it convert at all... it just crashes Lame... bah

EDIT2: I have also had problems burning a CD that was ripped with EAC... it always skips at the same points in every song. The mp3's play fine but then when I burn it it goes funniy. I have never had problems burning mp3's or wav's before so I dont know whats up...

I just got it working!!! I changed my EAC parameters to ID3v2 only and now it works again and when I put the song on my Ipod it plays all the way through!!!

EDIT3: Ok this is just weird. I re-ripped the album over top of the old one that didnt work and it still didnt work. So I try it again with just one file and it worked. Then I realize with the single file im not overwriting the Itunes database.

So I remove the whole album altogether, re-rip, re-add to Itunes and NOW it works...

Jeez... so I have no idea why it didn't work and albums that ive downloaded that don't work I have no idea how to get them to work...

EDIT4: Ok this is dumb... really dumb. I delete the songs out of itunes. Then I readd them. Then they work...

why did I spend two weeks to figure THAT out...

Reply #22
I actually first noticed this problem with files I had prepared with Audiograbber and moved to EAC to change things up, so I doubt it's a ripping issue.  Also, I have ripped files with EAC and had them not work right as LAME but work fine with Itunes conversion off the same EAC WAV files, so it really seems to specifically be an Ipod/LAME issue.  I have alos deleted and added files multiple times to the Ipod without solving the problem if I didn't re-convert the file.

So far its only been with Lame MP3's on the Ipod, Itunes works perfectly. Up until now I have been using 192-320 kbps CBR Stereo/Joint/Dual.

Recently I have started using the Latest Lame with the -v2 --vbr-new preset and these problems have arisen in some MP3's. Some that I rip work and some that I download with the -v2 setting work as well but others don't.

I have tried ripping with Lame v3.6 and v3.7 with the same results I have tried not using --vbr-new and nothing works. However using -v3 --vbr-new seems to be working.

Until I have this figured out I am using rockbox and it works fine.

I have also tried both foobar and EAC to do the converting... Maybe I will try a different program to rip...

EDIT: Ok, using Audiograbber and it works perfectly. Use EAC to rip to Wav and then use Foobar works perfectly. So theres something with the conversion in EAC... and now I cant get it convert at all... it just crashes Lame... bah

EDIT2: I have also had problems burning a CD that was ripped with EAC... it always skips at the same points in every song. The mp3's play fine but then when I burn it it goes funniy. I have never had problems burning mp3's or wav's before so I dont know whats up...

I just got it working!!! I changed my EAC parameters to ID3v2 only and now it works again and when I put the song on my Ipod it plays all the way through!!!

EDIT3: Ok this is just weird. I re-ripped the album over top of the old one that didnt work and it still didnt work. So I try it again with just one file and it worked. Then I realize with the single file im not overwriting the Itunes database.

So I remove the whole album altogether, re-rip, re-add to Itunes and NOW it works...

Jeez... so I have no idea why it didn't work and albums that ive downloaded that don't work I have no idea how to get them to work...

EDIT4: Ok this is dumb... really dumb. I delete the songs out of itunes. Then I readd them. Then they work...

why did I spend two weeks to figure THAT out...

Reply #23
Just found my first rip with problems using -V3 --vbr-new.  Am going to let Apple know about this, and I guess I'll start to have to use Itunes to rip MP3s-  I don't know what the problem with the Ipod is.