Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rate your music with Foo_rating plugin (beta) (Read 122298 times) previous topic - next topic

Rate your music with Foo_rating plugin (beta)

Reply #50
there is a black border line from version 1.3+

can you fix this?

and.. can you use this plugin with foo_custom_info to rate music?

Thank you for noticing this problem. It'll be fixed in next release.

What do you mean by using foo_rating with foo_custom_info? Can you say something specific?

Reply #51
foo_custominfo can tag your music without actualy writing tag.(it's store in database instead.)

i use custom info to rating my music and my rating is stored in database instead of file tag. but this plugin writing %rating% tag to the file.

i want to.. if i click at the rating star. it write rating in custom info. not %rating% tag.

is it possible? if not. then it's ok.  it's would be nice if it can do though.

Reply #52
foo_custominfo can tag your music without actualy writing tag.(it's store in database instead.)

i use custom info to rating my music and my rating is stored in database instead of file tag. but this plugin writing %rating% tag to the file.

i want to.. if i click at the rating star. it write rating in custom info. not %rating% tag.

is it possible? if not. then it's ok.  it's would be nice if it can do though.

Thank you for the idea. I'll take a look at custom_info and how it works to see if it's possible.

Reply #53
That would be nice too. I'm still using foo_rating, but most of my music has already been tagged with it so far (at least, well... half of it. Shuffle ain't all that great at weighing unrated songs above rated ones... not like I can tell it to do that anyway). I've noticed a few problems with it though. With the Columns UI extension disabled, I'm still getting some whole-system DirectDraw (I'm assuming) corruption when foobar2000 has been running for a while. It starts with the spectrum analyzer breaking out of the minimized foobar2000 window and animating itself in the upper-left corner of the screen for a brief period (before stopping and leaving artifacts behind), and the playlist frame (when restored from the taskbar) does not draw. A close and re-open of foobar fixes all the problems but still leaves artifacts behind from the analyzer when it went haywire, until the program that it overwrote redraws that portion of the screen (e.g. title bar, Statbar, etc).

I'm also interested in the non-tagged ratings idea. I'm sometimes finding myself playing downloaded MP3s I'm still sharing, and when I rate them, it updates the tag and modifies the file I'm still sharing. It'd be nice to have the rating info stored elsewhere... besides, only Foobar understands the ratings information anyway! 

Reply #54
With the Columns UI extension disabled, I'm still getting some whole-system DirectDraw (I'm assuming) corruption when foobar2000 has been running for a while. It starts with the spectrum analyzer breaking out of the minimized foobar2000 window and animating itself in the upper-left corner of the screen for a brief period (before stopping and leaving artifacts behind), and the playlist frame (when restored from the taskbar) does not draw. A close and re-open of foobar fixes all the problems but still leaves artifacts behind from the analyzer when it went haywire, until the program that it overwrote redraws that portion of the screen (e.g. title bar, Statbar, etc).

I noticed the same thing. At first I thought it had something to do with Opera, since I had just started using that, but then the same thing happened when using Firefox. I didn't really know what was causing it, but now that I think about it, it did only happen when using the newest version of Foo Rating, and hasn't happened again since I got rid of it. The spectrum analyzer takes up about a third of my build, so it was quite annoying to have it - by itself - just pop up on top of everything.

Reply #55
With the Columns UI extension disabled, I'm still getting some whole-system DirectDraw (I'm assuming) corruption when foobar2000 has been running for a while. It starts with the spectrum analyzer breaking out of the minimized foobar2000 window and animating itself in the upper-left corner of the screen for a brief period (before stopping and leaving artifacts behind), and the playlist frame (when restored from the taskbar) does not draw. A close and re-open of foobar fixes all the problems but still leaves artifacts behind from the analyzer when it went haywire, until the program that it overwrote redraws that portion of the screen (e.g. title bar, Statbar, etc).

I noticed the same thing. At first I thought it had something to do with Opera, since I had just started using that, but then the same thing happened when using Firefox. I didn't really know what was causing it, but now that I think about it, it did only happen when using the newest version of Foo Rating, and hasn't happened again since I got rid of it. The spectrum analyzer takes up about a third of my build, so it was quite annoying to have it - by itself - just pop up on top of everything.

Can you guys post a picture of this? I nerver notice this on my machine.

That would be nice too. I'm still using foo_rating, but most of my music has already been tagged with it so far (at least, well... half of it. Shuffle ain't all that great at weighing unrated songs above rated ones... not like I can tell it to do that anyway).

I also thought about this. It'd be perfect if we can shuffle between tracks according to their ratings. For me, one possible setting is that tracks with higher ratings are given a higher probability of hit.

Reply #56
I also thought about this. It'd be perfect if we can shuffle between tracks according to their ratings. For me, one possible setting is that tracks with higher ratings are given a higher probability of hit.

you can already do this with foo_skip.

search foo_skip topic and find the code to in there.

but it will make your playlist hopping like crazy if you have a lot of low rating track in playist.

Reply #57
^ Hopping like crazy? You mean, it'd be more random? I swear, in 1,000 songs, I sure do end up hearing the same songs a lot more often than others. That's a big reason I started using foo_rating - I can just skip the ones that I already rated! Sometimes I have to skip 5 or 6 songs just to get to one I haven't heard... lol.

I'll see if I can get a screenshot the next time it does it. A big problem is that when it does occur, it causes so much corruption that a) terminal server no longer accepts new connections (remote desktop / fast user switching), b) if the computer is put into standby or hibernate with the problem yet unresolved (foobar still running after corruption, e.g. still minimized), the screen will restore with almost all bitmaps corrupted, and c) sometimes title bars no longer update so you're stuck dragging around pieces of the lower window when you move a window.

Like I said I'll try to get a screenshot or two but it can be hard to catch... it should happen some time today though. =)

Reply #58
I mean.. you can have foo_skip play higher rate song more than lower rate song. like billhao want.

your ploblem is you want to play only the track that's has no rating yet right? foo_skip can also do this

get it here.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti..._%28foo_skip%29

rename the file to foo_skip  and copy it to your component directory.

go preference > playback > skip control

click add and paste this code in.
$if(%rating%,1,0)

activate foo skip in menu > playback > skip

select the code you just added. and hit activate.

and wholla 

ps. double click the file will still play it. but if it shuffle to track tht already has rating or next track already has rating. it will not be play and skip to another track according to your playback order.

Reply #59
Well... just as I thought, the first symptom appeared just now. I honestly don't know if this is actually caused by foo_rating but I can tell I've been using Windows for many years in this same configuration and I've never seen problems like these before foo_rating. I want to think it's not causing problems... but I don't know!

Anyway, equally as I thought, I couldn't take a screenshot. Something is causing so much "system resource" corruption that it's causing these title bar problems, clipboard problems, so on and so forth... I wish there was some kind of resource meter in Windows XP that showed individual resources like Win9x did. I think it's running out of some kind of graphic resource... anyway, the pictures.

[a href="http://hostfile.org/imgp1152.jpg" target="_blank"]

Reply #60
Well... just as I thought, the first symptom appeared just now. I honestly don't know if this is actually caused by foo_rating but I can tell I've been using Windows for many years in this same configuration and I've never seen problems like these before foo_rating. I want to think it's not causing problems... but I don't know!

Anyway, equally as I thought, I couldn't take a screenshot. Something is causing so much "system resource" corruption that it's causing these title bar problems, clipboard problems, so on and so forth... I wish there was some kind of resource meter in Windows XP that showed individual resources like Win9x did. I think it's running out of some kind of graphic resource... anyway, the pictures.

[a href="http://hostfile.org/imgp1152.jpg" target="_blank"]

That's weired. It never occur on my machine. Certainly there is something wrong with foobar plugins. I also don't know if it's caused by foo_rating.

How often dose this occur? I know there is some software can record resource leaks. If it occurs frequently, you can use Compuware BoundsChecker to track it.

Reply #61
Ah, finally, I catch it doing the other thing. My computer took a dump last night (Bluetooth drivers are risky!) so I spent most of today trying to get it back up and running. So now I'm back with the same configuration, albeit with less-hacked Windows files, and I got to see it do its thing, barely 1 hour into booting.

edit: And here is the major issue caused by this seemingly cosmetic issue... this has actually costed me time and embarrassment after leaving fb2k running on my laptop at home and trying to connect from somewhere else, only to be booted off due to some screen issue. =\
[a href="http://hostfile.org/imgp1171.avi" target="_blank"]IMGP1171.AVI
- Motion JPEG, 11.44mb

Reply #62

What happens when I restore fb2k.
..happened to me too yesterday, needed to restart foobar. It started with a scrapped foobar-systray-menu, maximizing the window brought sth. like above. Maybe it's due to the star-balloon-tip-drawing, but that's just a guess..

Reply #63

What happens when I restore fb2k.
..happened to me too yesterday, needed to restart foobar. It started with a scrapped foobar-systray-menu, maximizing the window brought sth. like above. Maybe it's due to the star-balloon-tip-drawing, but that's just a guess..

It's very likely some resource-leak issues.

FalconFour and sPeziFisH, if you don't mind, can you zip your foobar2000 directory and send it to me? I got some software to detect resource leaks. (please upload to some web hosting service, don't send by email  ) Thank you.

Reply #64
Sure thing.
http://hostfile.org/foobar2000.rar

(Yes, there is a "dr death" icon set in there... I thought they were cool so I used 'em. It's a real fb2k installation though. What makes Dr Death's foobar pack "illegal" anyway?)

Reply #66
Thanks. I will find it out.

Reply #67
There was no Rating listed available. [...]

Screenshot

I have the same problem, how did you solved it? I followed the instructions on website, but no rating column appeared, only the tray icon.

Thanks

Reply #68
You should add a rating column in COLUMN UI plugin first. See the picture for details.

There was no Rating listed available. [...]

Screenshot

I have the same problem, how did you solved it? I followed the instructions on website, but no rating column appeared, only the tray icon.

Thanks

Reply #69
You should add a rating column in COLUMN UI plugin first. See the picture for details.

I tried, but no change. Here some screenshots:

I willt try again tomorrow with a clean foobar-installation

//edit: It works with a fresh installation

Reply #70
Process Explorer gave me an interesting insight into foo_rating's behavior...

With foo_rating after a few hours of playing and track-ratings, GDI handles is ungodly high... explorer.exe itself uses only about 600:

Without (also a clean restart of fb2k):

Admittedly, GDI handles returned to about 150 with foo_rating reinstalled and restarted, but jumped up to about 350 after skipping several tracks and re-rating a few files. Doing the same (except rating of course) without foo_rating brought that count from 100 to about 150.

Perhaps, a clue?

edit: Gak! I just found that moving component DLLs to a folder I made called "components (Disabled)" (which you might notice in the RAR) doesn't disable them! God damn fb2k for not following standards and being predictable. Headaches, headaches, headaches. Anyway, after RAR'ing the ones I thought were disabled and deleting them (including foo_rating) I found some more out. The above "hypothesis" is right, but slightly differently. foo_rating *was* still active in that second screenshot but I took it earlier. It looks like foo_rating is constantly creating new GDI objects almost on a timer at a rate of about 12 per second - but only when the music is playing (paused, they stop... stopped, they stop, but they never release or reset). Rather unnerving. Foo_rating uninstalled (or disabled), and it stays solid at 81 objects.

Reply #71
Thank you for these information. It looks like foo_rating keep some resource unreleased. I am debugging on this. Hope to find it out soon.

Edit: I got the bug. Will release a new version for this.

Process Explorer gave me an interesting insight into foo_rating's behavior...

With foo_rating after a few hours of playing and track-ratings, GDI handles is ungodly high... explorer.exe itself uses only about 600:

Without (also a clean restart of fb2k):

Admittedly, GDI handles returned to about 150 with foo_rating reinstalled and restarted, but jumped up to about 350 after skipping several tracks and re-rating a few files. Doing the same (except rating of course) without foo_rating brought that count from 100 to about 150.

Perhaps, a clue?

edit: Gak! I just found that moving component DLLs to a folder I made called "components (Disabled)" (which you might notice in the RAR) doesn't disable them! God damn fb2k for not following standards and being predictable. Headaches, headaches, headaches. Anyway, after RAR'ing the ones I thought were disabled and deleting them (including foo_rating) I found some more out. The above "hypothesis" is right, but slightly differently. foo_rating *was* still active in that second screenshot but I took it earlier. It looks like foo_rating is constantly creating new GDI objects almost on a timer at a rate of about 12 per second - but only when the music is playing (paused, they stop... stopped, they stop, but they never release or reset). Rather unnerving. Foo_rating uninstalled (or disabled), and it stays solid at 81 objects.

Reply #72
The plugin writes a file "foo_rating_cui_dbg.txt" in every folder where I am rating something. Anybody else with this problem?

Reply #73
The plugin writes a file "foo_rating_cui_dbg.txt" in every folder where I am rating something. Anybody else with this problem?

Sorry about that. It's a file contains debugging messages. Just delete them. And I'll fix this in the next release.

Reply #74
Well, could you then release a version without the debug file? It gets pretty annoying after a while. Thanks.