Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do I need to decompress Flac and Ape before burning? (Read 3407 times) previous topic - next topic

Do I need to decompress Flac and Ape before burning?

Hi,

I have a number of flac and ape files that are complete albums (one big file) and I am looking to burn them to get a copy of the CD. Now there is also a cue sheet supplied with it. I use K3b in linux and It will burn an audio CD from this cue sheet from the flac or ape files. Is it better to decompress the lossless files first into wav and then burn them ? If so why, and what advantage does this have technically ? Or does K3b use its lossless plugins and do this for you? If you do decompress how do you still use the cue sheet ?

Thanks
C.

Reply #1
Since K3b is actually capable of reading the lossless files, don't hesitate to burn these without decoding them first. There is absolutely no advantage of burning a .wav file compared to a losslessly encoded one. The lossless plugins decode the files bit-identical (therefore "lossless") to uncompressed ones, causing K3b to be able to burn them on the fly. At least that's the way every good CD burning application works like, I don't know anything about K3b specifically because I haven't used it so far.

Reply #2
OK