Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HDCD from file lights no logo? (Read 2670 times) previous topic - next topic

HDCD from file lights no logo?

1) Example: I rip an HDCD to hard disk (Kari Bremnes - Norwegian Mood) and burn to CD. WMP 10 reads the burned CD and lighs up the HDCD logo, no problem. But if I read the files from hard drive, the logo doesn't light up. Why? Can HDCH only be read from CD? Makes no sense. As far as I know, it's a characteristic of the file, not a CD flag or something like that. Am I getting HDCD quality when playing from the  hard disk or not?

2) WMP 10 is a bit erratic when lighting up the logo on HDCD discs. Sometimes it doesn't, then I stop WMP and start it again and then it does. Does this happen to other people also?

3) WMP 11 doesn't show any logo. Is it playing with HDCD quality?

Thanks for your help

Reply #1
Are the files compressed with a lossy codec? Doing so destroys the HDCD data.

Reply #2
Are the files compressed with a lossy codec? Doing so destroys the HDCD data.

I explained I burned a CD with them that lighted up the HDCD logo, exactly so that no doubt could exist that the files are perfectly ok.

Reply #4
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ing++back++hdcd

There are a few threads around discussing this.

Thanks for the link. Apparently someone else also thinks that WMP 10 doesn't play HDCD from the hard disk. But it doesn't make much sense, does it? There's no flag on the CD, so what's the difference? And why doesn't WMP 11 even show a logo when playing HDCD's. After all, Microsoft owns the technology, as far as I know.