Skip to main content
Topic: AoTuV Beta 5 released! (Read 98104 times) previous topic - next topic

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

The Beta5 has finally arrived!

# The action of noise normalization has been improved.  This has an effect in the sound roughness and tremor problem etc. in the low bitrate.
# The threshold of a stereo mode change was calculated dynamically.  Some of problems which originate in channel coupling by this will improve.
# Noise control of an impulse block was changed (quality 0-10 / 32-48kHz). And pre-echo decreased slightly.
# Tuning of each part was redone according to above-mentioned changed part and additional part.

http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #1

Excellent new! The changelog looks great.
I'll try to start a new listening test very soon.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #2
Just tried my standard bad samples harp40_1, herding_calls and trumpet on b5.

At -q2 no good quality can be expected from these bad samples, but herding_calls turns out to be pretty acceptable. Not quite so with trumpet and harp.

At -q3 I'd call trumpet not annoying anymore.

At -q4 even harp is quite acceptable to me.

These are very good results!

Something else: With the simple commandline 'venc -qx y.wav' which seems to be the only way to use venc I have seen no way to use venc from within foobar.
Any solutions?
lame3995o -Q1.7
opus --bitrate 140

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #3
Something else: With the simple commandline 'venc -qx y.wav' which seems to be the only way to use venc I have seen no way to use venc from within foobar.Any solutions?

I guess you missed this:

Code: [Select]
http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/binary/oggenc_aoTuV_b5.zip

Aoyumi released also an oggenc.exe version.

Edit: Perhaps external linking is prohibited. I changed the link to code.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #4
I tried with a few samples, but I'm unable to hear a difference between the latest Lancer and this new beta. I tried my favourite Vorbis problem sample (the_product) at both low and high quality settings, as well as a few normal samples at -q0, but I was unable to distinguish between the two encoded versions. I didn't do many compressed/compressed comparsions before, so I might just be too "unexperienced" to spot the improvements.

Edit: I finally ABXed a few differences, at -q-2. b5 sounded better to me in all cases so far.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #5
I guess you missed this: .... Aoyumi released also an oggenc.exe version.

You're right. Thanks a lot.
lame3995o -Q1.7
opus --bitrate 140

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #6
Alex B: that oggenc link isn't working.

Edit: strange, I can't get it to download with firefox, but wget had no problems...

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #7
Alex B: that oggenc link isn't working. ...

I couldn't use it either but I found the link on Aoyumi's page (just a few lines below the venc link).
lame3995o -Q1.7
opus --bitrate 140

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #8
It didn't work when I tried from Aoyumi's page either, but I just did a wget on it from my linux machine and all was fine.
Firefox was caching the broken response, opening it on a new tab and doing Ctrl F5 fixed it.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #9
It's a strange link. For me, it didn't work directly from my post, but when I pasted it into the browser's address bar it worked. (Opera 9.02)

I am going to retest the same samples I tried with the earlier pre-beta 5 version @ -q 1 here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=401514

I suppose it would be helpful for Aoyumi if others who are interested about -q 1 could try the same samples.

I would like to test -q 6 or 7 also, but I am not sure if have enough guts for that. I may have found a couple of new samples that may be problematic at -q 6-7, but ABXing them is still very difficult (at least for me). I would first need to be sure that I can ABX the r1 encoded samples and then try b5.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #10
Good news.

Speed test (PentiumM 715, 1500Mhz)
Code: [Select]
C:\temp\test>oggenc_lancer.exe naraya_nonamed.wav
Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
Encoding "naraya_nonamed.wav" to
         "naraya_nonamed.ogg"
at quality 3,00
        [100,0%] [ 0m00s remaining] |

Done encoding file "naraya_nonamed.ogg"

File length:  3m 25,0s
        Elapsed time: 0m 7,735s
        Rate:         26,539668
        Average bitrate: 104,7 kb/s

C:\temp\test>oggenc_aotuv_b451.exe naraya_nonamed.wav
         "naraya_nonamed.ogg"
at quality 3,00
        [100,0%] [ 0m00s remaining] \

Elapsed time: 0m 34,0s
        Rate:         6,0378
        Average bitrate: 104,7 kb/s

C:\temp\test>oggenc_aotuv_b5.exe naraya_nonamed.wav
         "naraya_nonamed.ogg"
at quality 3,00
        [100,0%] [ 0m00s remaining] \

Elapsed time: 0m 38,0s
        Rate:         5,4022
        Average bitrate: 104,8 kb/s

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #11
Yay, finally the long wait is over! Gotta test this release on my favourite samples, and start encoding right away. Thanks, Aoyumi!
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #12
I'll wait for an OggDropXPd compile from John33 (hurry up, mate !  ) and then start testing the new sound from Aoyumi

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #13
I've already started encoding my stuff to -q2. The biggest change I've noticed is that the bitrates are slightly lower over 4.51.

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #14
The biggest change I've noticed is that the bitrates are slightly lower over 4.51.

I noticed that, too.  I wonder if it's intentional, as if to combat slight bitrate inflation present during past tests?  Although, to tell the truth, I didn't notice an issue there.

But then again, maybe it's simply due to a new bitrate spread as a result of new algorithms...
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #16
OMG Very Surprised   

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #18
Congrats on the milestone, Aoyumi!

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #19
I am happy that the somehow new version was releasable. 

Speed test (PentiumM 715, 1500Mhz)
This is normal. Processing required for encoding is increasing (especially channel coupling).

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #20
The encoders and dlls have been added at Rarewares.
John
----------------------------------------------------------------
My compiles and utilities are at http://www.rarewares.org/

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #21
Thanks Aoyumi.

The encoders and dlls have been added at Rarewares.

oggdropXPd V.1.8.9 using aoTuVb5  2006-10-25 doesn't work on my computer (lpac_codec_api.dll)

Where is the Generic - P3/AMD - P4 Only compile ?

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #23
oggdropXPd V.1.8.9 using aoTuVb5  2006-10-25 doesn't work on my computer (lpac_codec_api.dll)

Can you provide more info please? Was there an error message? It works fine here.
Where is the Generic - P3/AMD - P4 Only compile ?

The single compile should work reasonably well on all systems. I'm trying to get away from producing dozens of compiles each time there's a change; it takes me far too long to get through them. 

These compiles use Blacksword's (of Lancer fame) routine for runtime optimisation with the Intel compiler.
John
----------------------------------------------------------------
My compiles and utilities are at http://www.rarewares.org/

AoTuV Beta 5 released!

Reply #24

Can you provide more info please? Was there an error message? It works fine here.

Current compile never run without following dlls also on my WinXP.
LPAC dlls (54Kb) - Monkey's Audio dll (71Kb) - OptimFROG dll (81Kb) on Rarewares

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020