Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 24/192 in Foobar (Read 12337 times) previous topic - next topic

24/192 in Foobar

I made some 24/192 files using dbpoweramp, but Foobar outputs no sound when playing them.  The same files but at 24/96 play fine.

I am sure my Lynx 2 card supports 24/192, and when I play such a file in Foobar, the Lynx mixer's clock does report 192...just no sound.

Are there any settings that could be affecting the output, like the asio buffer, etc?

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #1
I made some 24/192 files using dbpoweramp, but Foobar outputs no sound when playing them.  The same files but at 24/96 play fine.

I am sure my Lynx 2 card supports 24/192, and when I play such a file in Foobar, the Lynx mixer's clock does report 192...just no sound.

Are there any settings that could be affecting the output, like the asio buffer, etc?

FOrgot to mention that I am using the analog outs.

ALso, I am using the crossover plugin, which is mapped through asio.  It works great untill I go to play the 192 file.  THe 24/96 file plays fine.

It will play for about 13 seconds (with no sound) but it doesn't freeze up, it just stops.

Are there things that have to be checked or enabled in Foobar to handle these resolutions?

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #2
What happens if you remove the crossover plugin?

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #3

Well, I tried this today, and nothing would play, it kept giveing me an error.

I think that it has to do with how I have it mapped in ASIO when using the crossover.

I just tried re doing the asio map, and it works, but I get an error on 24/96 and 24/192:

<Unrecoverable playback error: invalid audio stream specifications.>

16/44.1 files play fine with or without the crossover plugin.

What is weird is that WITH the crossover plugin 24/96 PLAYS, but without it, it doesn't work.

Put the crossover and asio mapping back in, and 24/96 works.

Strange. It must be some setting some place.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #4

Well, I tried this today, and nothing would play, it kept giveing me an error.

I think that it has to do with how I have it mapped in ASIO when using the crossover.

I just tried re doing the asio map, and it works, but I get an error on 24/96 and 24/192:

<Unrecoverable playback error: invalid audio stream specifications.>

16/44.1 files play fine with or without the crossover plugin.

What is weird is that WITH the crossover plugin 24/96 PLAYS, but without it, it doesn't work.

Put the crossover and asio mapping back in, and 24/96 works.

Strange. It must be some setting some place.

Here is some more info:

Using version 09.3.1 with the only asio dll that I have found to be available.  It is very different from 08.

The asio is mapped as follows:

p1 left, right----left, right
p2 left, right----center, lfe
p3 left, right----left surround, right surround

This works with the crossover plugin, and outputs the right frequencies to the right outputs on the card.

Is this a problem with 09?  Is anyone usinging 09 with 24/192 files???

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #5
Could you try uploading a small sample (less than thirty seconds) of one of the files that won't play? I've never had any 24/192 files to need to play so I've no idea if it works for me!

The plugin I have is foo_out_asio 1.2.4 but I have no crossover and only a stereo interface - perhaps if you upgrade to 0.9.4 and try removing some mappings so you're only using two channels (I don't know how or if this will work since I've never used a surround system on PC, but it's worth a try).

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #6
Could you try uploading a small sample (less than thirty seconds) of one of the files that won't play? I've never had any 24/192 files to need to play so I've no idea if it works for me!

The plugin I have is foo_out_asio 1.2.4 but I have no crossover and only a stereo interface - perhaps if you upgrade to 0.9.4 and try removing some mappings so you're only using two channels (I don't know how or if this will work since I've never used a surround system on PC, but it's worth a try).

I put a 2 second file in the up loads section (30 seconds would have been about 30 Mb!):

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=49124

I AM using this 2 channel, it is just that it is a tr--amped system, and that is what the 6 outputs are for.  I know the crossover configuration makes it look like HT, but it is not.

I have tried ditching the crossover, and just mapping for 2 channel, but NOTHING works when I do that.  I didn't cahnge the mappings for the 1st out...kept them at Left, right.

I could try 09.4, but it seems to have changed how it handles .cue sheets, and since that is ALL I have, I am a bit reluctant...

Thanks for all the help...this is a great forum.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #7
I didn't work for me either when I tried to play the wav.  I'm new to 24bit audio, so I don't know why you need the plugins for anything.  All I have set is my output to 24bit.

I did get it to work when I converted it to WavPack.  Try that for the whole song maybe?

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #8
I didn't work for me either when I tried to play the wav.  I'm new to 24bit audio, so I don't know why you need the plugins for anything.  All I have set is my output to 24bit.

I did get it to work when I converted it to WavPack.  Try that for the whole song maybe?

Was it 24/192 when converted to wavepack?  Or did it convert them to some lower format.

I am know nothing about wavepack, and attempts to convert have been unsucessful.

I am sure I set foobar up for only waves and nixed all the other formats if it was possible.

I downloaded some stuff from wavepacks site, but have no clue about what goes where and what I really need.

Where should I look for this info?

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #9

Was it 24/192 when converted to wavepack?  Or did it convert them to some lower format.

I am know nothing about wavepack, and attempts to convert have been unsucessful.

I am sure I set foobar up for only waves and nixed all the other formats if it was possible.

I downloaded some stuff from wavepacks site, but have no clue about what goes where and what I really need.

Where should I look for this info?

It was still 24/192.  WavPack is probably the best codec for 24/192.  Download the command line from the WavPack and encode using foobar2000 or Speek's WavPack or Multi frontend (my favorite).  I would use -hm to encode for higher compression (-m adds the original md5).  I'm assuming you're familiar with command line encoders.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #10
OK, I DID get Foobar to convert to wavpack...for 16/44.1 files.  So I must have it right, and it is something to do with 24/192 files, not working.

Are you saying that you can take a 24/192 file and convert it to wavpack with no problem?

If so, what settings do I need to look at?

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #11
My parameters in the foobar convert tool for WavPack are  ( -hm -i -%d ).
To encode using 24/192 nothing needs to be different.  WavPack will by default keep the same bits and samplerate.

(-h) Compresses more but slowers decompression speed.  It's kinda useful for such big files, if you're computer is fast enough to decode it without gaps though.

(-m) Keeps the original MD5 to verifiy that the data is the same as the original.

(-i)  Something with piping that is needed when you use foobar to convert.

I combine -h and -m to look like -hm for some reason.  It doesn't hurt or help.
Check out the WavPack forums here.  The newest version in progress has a new high setting that looks pretty good, as well as an improved extra setting.  I might be using different settings with the new WavPack.

The only setting you need to use is -i, and that's only because you're using foobar.

EDIT: Make sure the "Keep lossless sources at original bit depth" box is checked on the converter page.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #12
My parameters in the foobar convert tool for WavPack are  ( -hm -i -%d ).
To encode using 24/192 nothing needs to be different.  WavPack will by default keep the same bits and samplerate.

(-h) Compresses more but slowers decompression speed.  It's kinda useful for such big files, if you're computer is fast enough to decode it without gaps though.

(-m) Keeps the original MD5 to verifiy that the data is the same as the original.

(-i)  Something with piping that is needed when you use foobar to convert.

I combine -h and -m to look like -hm for some reason.  It doesn't hurt or help.
Check out the WavPack forums here.  The newest version in progress has a new high setting that looks pretty good, as well as an improved extra setting.  I might be using different settings with the new WavPack.

The only setting you need to use is -i, and that's only because you're using foobar.

EDIT: Make sure the "Keep lossless sources at original bit depth" box is checked on the converter page.

SOrry for my ignorance on this, but where does one put in such code?

In the foobar preferences for converting, there is no place I can find to do that.

All I see when I select wavpack and press EDIT is 2 sliders.  One is for "Compression Mode" and the other is for "Additional Processing".  A third one ids for the hybrid lossy mode, which I am assuming is not used.

In the HTML file that accompanies the wavepack source code, there is a dos command line that I am assuming you are talking about.

I am clueless on dos and when I copied what the HTML doc said it gave me a syntax error saying that "-" is not recognized.

WHen I first tried it, I cut and pasted the wave pack code into the prompt, and it said something about the directory being wrong.  (YOu want to see something funny?  Try watching a windows guy trying to change a directory in DOS!)

So, can you please assume that I have no clue and need very very detailed and specific instructions.

THanks for all the help so far!

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #13
Sorry, I forgot.  I am using a custom encoder setting, not the wavpack one foobar uses by default.  You can simply use that without changing anything.  Moving the bar to high would be the same as -h.  If you want you could create one using the command line by pressing add new.  Then choose custom and point to the exe and add whatever settings you want.  The WavPack user manual on the site is very helpful for explanation for the settings.  This is only necessary if you feel like adding other options like -m.

I know i'm not the best at explaining things, but I try.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #14
Sorry, I forgot.  I am using a custom encoder setting, not the wavpack one foobar uses by default.  You can simply use that without changing anything.  Moving the bar to high would be the same as -h.  If you want you could create one using the command line by pressing add new.  Then choose custom and point to the exe and add whatever settings you want.  The WavPack user manual on the site is very helpful for explanation for the settings.  This is only necessary if you feel like adding other options like -m.

I know i'm not the best at explaining things, but I try.

I appreciate your attempts greatly!!

I tried what you said about doing a custom conversion in foobar, and typed in the command line exactly as your post shows, and it gave the following error for both 24/96 and 24/192 files:

<error writing to file (unsupported format or corrupted file)>

It works great for 16/44.1.

What could be the problem here?  It works for you, but not for me.

My computer is by no means fast at around 1ghz, could this be tripping it up at the higher resolutions?

ANy other ideas?

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #15
DrazardX, I am pretty sure that foobar2000 adds MD5 sums to its converted WavPack files by default - and it probably takes care of any supposed piping issue by itself.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #16
DrazardX, I am pretty sure that foobar2000 adds MD5 sums to its converted WavPack files by default - and it probably takes care of any supposed piping issue by itself.

I never actually tried so i'm suprised it does.  Still, I can't get foobar2000 to encode 24/192 WavPacks.

I seriously doubt anything will ever be better than Multi frontend for encoding audio files.  It keeps the simplicity of the command lines but allows you to select several files at once.  What more do you need?  Well maybe a shell extension would be nice too (don't point me at dbPoweramp).  I foobar2000 for the tagging and playback.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #17

I never actually tried so i'm suprised it does.  Still, I can't get foobar2000 to encode 24/192 WavPacks.

I seriously doubt anything will ever be better than Multi frontend for encoding audio files.  It keeps the simplicity of the command lines but allows you to select several files at once.  What more do you need?  Well maybe a shell extension would be nice too (don't point me at dbPoweramp).  I foobar2000 for the tagging and playback.

I guess I am not the only one having problems with Foobar encoding.

What other program can I get to make these wavepack files??

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #18
Well first you need the WavPack command line encoder.  DOWNLOAD
Then you need Multi frontend.  DOWNLOAD
Extract them somewhere.
Run Multi frontend and hit the locations button.  Press ... and the checkbox for WavPack to point where the executable is.  You might want to uncheck the boxes for other codecs that you aren't using.  Click OK.
Then on the main screen choose WavPack encoder under Codec add you options (like -hm) and choose an output folder. 
Then you just press add files, and select your wav files.
Go will encode all the files listed above.
Once it's set up with everything you need, it becomes quite quick to encode files.

It's made by the same guy who made FLAC frontend and many others, but people still seem to use foobar2000 and dbPowerAMP a lot more.  I trust Multi frontend the most because of it's simplicity.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #19
I put a 2 second file in the up loads section (30 seconds would have been about 30 Mb!):

It seems that Foobar does not like WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE (0xFFFE) as format tag.
If you change it to PCM (0x0001) it plays OK.
The same issue is with conversion, so this should not be a output plugin bug.

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #20

It seems that Foobar does not like WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE (0xFFFE) as format tag.
If you change it to PCM (0x0001) it plays OK.
The same issue is with conversion, so this should not be a output plugin bug.

Cool, how do I do that?

24/192 in Foobar

Reply #21
Compressing to WavPack would still be a good idea though. 24/192 with waves is just too massive in size.  WavPack compressed the 2MB of silence to ~300 bytes.  APEv2 tags are nice too, and you can even apply ReplayGain to them.