Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Buying New Speakers (Read 2185 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying New Speakers

Hey all,
I have a Creative Zen Xtra mp3 player and I want to get some small speakers so I can wire it up in my bedroom as my sound system.

I'm thinking about getting some small ones though so I can also take them with me when I go travelling.

I was looking at these ones:

http://firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&...amp;src_id=1380

Which look and sound super cool from the reports I've read 
Wondering what some of you think?

Other option I considered was:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Creative-Travel-Sou...1QQcmdZViewItem
Which appealed ontop of the other ones because although they're not as trendy they do have the added bonus that I can shove some batteries in them and take them out with me when I'm out whereever.
The First set however do look incredibly cool which keeps making me want to take the plunge and get them.

What'd you all think? Or any others you'd suggest or recommend?

Also going to be looking at some speakers soon for main living room to wire into the TV/X-Box - any suggestions?

Want bang for buck and dont want 'top of the range' - just want nice quality for a cheap price 

Thanks

Buying New Speakers

Reply #1
Forgot to say - totally open to suggestions of any other speakers as well.

These are just a couple of pairs I'd seen so far.

I want to try make my room look pretty cool as I've just got a new place and it's really nice so funky / trendy looking ones welcome

Buying New Speakers

Reply #2
Gawd, this place has gone quiet these days.

I remember.... back in the good old days.... a post would have been answered by 300 fanatical audio boff's within hours of being posted

Kids these days huh..... *day dreams* lol

Buying New Speakers

Reply #3
Those speakers you link to would be classified as "tweeters", by their size. Nothing you can ever get satisfying full-range sound quality from. Sorry.

Buying New Speakers

Reply #4
Despite many manufacturer's attempts to convince you otherwise, the size of speakers does have a huge effect on their sound. The little stainless ones will lack bass and probably have built in EQ to boost the midbass to make up for their shortcomings. They might be respectable paired with a subwoofer, but without one you can do much better for the price.

The creative ones are a similar story - you aren't going to get any real bass from them and their attempt to reproduce low frequencies is likely to cause distortion across the audio band. If you really want small speakers, then feel free to buy them, but you can get much better sound at a lower price by going a little bigger.