Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Editing Real Media Audio Files? (Read 4075 times) previous topic - next topic

Editing Real Media Audio Files?

I have a collection of Coast to Coast radio shows. They still have the commercials in the files and I want to edit them out. What is the best way to edit out portions of a Real Media audio files that I don't want and keep the rest?

Would it be better to convert them to another format, such as mp3, and then edit them?

Reply #1
Real media is a proprietary format, so there propbably aren't any tools out there to directly edit such files (unless Real themselves make one).

IIRC, with a transcoding/converter program like dbPowerAmp or Mediacoder you could decompress the file to a .wav, then edit the .wav using a editor such as Audacity.

Alternately, you could transcode the file to mp3 using one of the above converter programs (keep in mind that this transcoding is a lossy process) then use mp3DirectCut to edit the mp3.

Reply #2
Helix Producer provides a command line tool (rmeditor) to edit real media files.

Real media is a proprietary format, so there propbably aren't any tools out there to directly edit such files (unless Real themselves make one).

A proprietary format doesn't mean that we can't create some tools to play with it or to edit this one.

Reply #3
I got dbPowerAmp Music Convertor to convert files to mp3. Now I have to find editing software.....

EDIT:

Now I have another problem I get dbPowerAmp to start convertion on the file. It stops after about 10 seconds and I end up with a 976 KB file instead of a 28 MB I started with.

Reply #4
Now I have another problem I get dbPowerAmp to start convertion on the file. It stops after about 10 seconds and I end up with a 976 KB file instead of a 28 MB I started with.

I'm not really familiar with "Coast to Coast", but if the files were stream-captured rather than downloaded you may have minor (inaudible) glitches in them.  Additionally, they may also have invalid indices.  The RMeditor previously mentioned (available free from either Helix or Real Networks) can tell you if your files have such problems.