Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Matroska open source A/V container format (Read 13524 times) previous topic - next topic

Matroska open source A/V container format

Reply #25
It would be cool if it could allow DivX and mpc in .mkv and then play it in a stand alone dvd play!!

Is DivX+mpc in mkv already possible with this container?

Any full list which I can have a look at to see which audio and video files are containable in the mkv container?

Reply #26
Does the name "Matroska" have anything to do with "Matrioshka Dolls" (there might be some relation in "containing", i.e. both Matrioshka Dolls and Matroska container contains similar type of things)? If so why not have a nice matrioshka logo?
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #27
1. New release : the new DirectShow filter is a great improvement to the first version, you can get it from the link on the announcement page on http://www.matroska.org/announce.html

2. Standalones/DVD players : dont forget, both SONY and Panasonic have announced to release DVD players that will be based on a form of Linux. If they make the basic firmware opensource, there are realistic chances to have a matroska standalone one day

3. the matroska name : yes, there was a kind of inspiration from the Russian dolls, whick spell 'matryoshka' normally. And yes, we have a nice number of possible logos for the project, to be seen here : http://corecodec.com/modules.php?op=modloa...viewtopic&t=292 : unfortunately, you will have to read all the 6 pages of this thread to see all of them, that is also to save Liisachan's bandwidth ( she has collected all of them on one site ) ...

Reply #28
This new set of tools is tagged as the "Iris release".

I wonder why... 

Really, Christian, were you happier when Iris was born, or when Matroska went beta?

Reply #29
Why don't you wait for SV9 instead ? It's going to have Matroska v.2 support and will come with a hybrid (sub-band+transform) mode  

will there eventually be an SV9?  also, will there be confusion as to whether to encode audio archives using *.mpc vs. *.mka  once SV8 has been completed and is implemented?

Reply #30
I wonder why...   . Really, Christian, were you happier when Iris was born, or when Matroska went beta?

Iris is in hospital since about a week now, and the doctors had made a scary diagnosis at start, which unfortunately hasnt been proven to be true in the end ... believe me Roberto, there may have been times in the past weeks where i was thinking about the 'birth' of matroska intensively every day, but right now my thinking priorities have been corrected completely ... i just want my little baby girl back in our house, and healthy ....

Reply #32
How's your baby girl?

Reply #33
Does the name "Matroska" have anything to do with "Matrioshka Dolls" (there might be some relation in "containing", i.e. both Matrioshka Dolls and Matroska container contains similar type of things)? If so why not have a nice matrioshka logo?

atici, actually Matroska must be "matreshka", a set of nesting dolls.
The funny thing is that word "matroska" is normally translated as "sailor's wife" or "sailor's jacket"

Reply #34
How's your baby girl?

Thanks for asking ... Iris is much better, but i dont expect her to be home in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Reply #35
(sorta "off-topic": ) all the best wishes..

(on-topic: ) anyone working on a matroska reader plugin for foobar2000 yet?
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #36
hmm if i remember right i think i read something about matroska being able to actually hold the needed codec in itself... is that true?

if not, is it possible to include this?

would be a brilliant function for porting and think about hardware-player possibilities! every new format would automatically be supported then...

Reply #37
hmm if i remember right i think i read something about matroska being able to actually hold the needed codec in itself... is that true?

if not, is it possible to include this?

would be a brilliant function for porting and think about hardware-player possibilities! every new format would automatically be supported then...

How would you encode the codec? it's hardware dependent. I don't think you can encode the information for a decoder and even if you do it would take so much space it wouldn't be feasible.

Reply #38
Why don't you wait for SV9 instead ? It's going to have Matroska v.2 support and will come with a hybrid (sub-band+transform) mode 

will there eventually be an SV9? 

I am sure there will be. But my comment was just a joke about the mentality that dreams of a better version all the time and thus never gets to use any because a new version will be out again soon.

Reply #39
New matroska DShow parser available from the Downloads page.

This new filter is adding

- CoreVorbis support
- Edit : Aspect Ratio correction is working from every DShow based player now, if latest FFDshow DivX/XviD decoder filter is used, dated 23rd May ( to enable it, activate the 'use overlay mixer' switch in the FFDshow codec setup page )
- DTS support ( untested ; muxing with either next VirtualdubMod or mkvmerger since 0.4.2 )
- Support for the new subtitles mediatypes, for working UTF8 subs playback in DVobSub ( Gabest is late, bug him to update it  .. lol )

Important :

This new filter will be necessary to be able to play files created with next VirtualdubMod and mkvmerger release. The old filters may have difficulties recognizing the number of video/audio tracks correctly, with new files. Old files are still 100% supported and spec compliant, we just added a new EBML element to make handling of framerate easier for Cyrius and Mosu, and the old filters may have a problem with the new element.

Important 2 :

While this new filter works fine for one half of the team, its having problems for the 2nd half  . We have no idea why, so dont delete you v0.4.2 installer yet  ....

Reply #40
Gabest put the new vsfilter.dll online on his Guliverkli Project Page

So, finally, everybody making MKV files with UTF8 subs in VdubMod or mkvmerge can see them, and in correct UTF8 language  ....

Reply #41
Bit unrelated, but what's up with sourceforge? It just keeps to throw me back to 'select mirror' page. 
Had to 'construct' link manually.

Reply #42
Bit unrelated, but what's up with sourceforge? It just keeps to throw me back to 'select mirror' page. 
Had to 'construct' link manually.

sourceforge ? we are not using the file release system of sourceforge ?

Reply #43
we are not using the file release system of sourceforge ?

You are not, but gabest is.
I meant his utf-8 aware version of vsfilter.

Reply #44
matroska can now have

SSA subtitles

muxed into it, thanks to Gabest. Read here