Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Skinning info for beginners? (Read 3362 times) previous topic - next topic

Skinning info for beginners?

I've had Foobar2000 for a while but I never really used it since I hate the default user interface. I only found out today that you can skin it, but I can't find any sites that explain how to skin your copy of FB2K from the beginning. Everything I've seen so far assumes knowledge of heaps of plugins, scripting etc. I just want to know how I can get my default copy of FB2K to look something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Too...artexamples.png

Anywhere I can go for a step-by-step guide to skinning like this?

Reply #1
That looks like tool++'s foobar, I'm sure if you ask him very politely he'd be happy to explain everything he did.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have but a step-by-step tutorial on how to "skin" foobar  is more than any one post could cover. Especially since the instructions to "skin" foobar to look like his config would be dramatically different than instructions on how to "skin" foobar to look like my config or any other given config.

I can tell you however, that to build a foobar similar to his you'll need to use foo_uie_trackinfo_mod and foo_uie_single_column_playlist. As well as foo_uie_playlists_dropdown. Check through the 3rd Party Components subforum for each component's respective thread for information on how to use them. Also sift through atleast the last dozen or so pages in the Foobar 0.9 Appearance thread as I know he has already posted most of his configuration.

Reply #2
That looks like tool++'s foobar, I'm sure if you ask him very politely he'd be happy to explain everything he did.

No offence to anyone here and I don't want to seem grouchy, but I have a lot of 6th form work and things at the moment so I probably wouldn't be able to devote much time to such a broad question.

However, I think the only way to get a setup like mine is to either copy my config, or spend hours, days, weeks figuring things out, learning basic scripting, getting your hands dirty.

I can provide assistance on small things though :]

Thing is, people have PMed me just asking how to make their foo look "good", which is madness as you have to have direction or have thought up in your head how you want it to look.
hi

Reply #3
Thing is, people have PMed me just asking how to make their foo look "good", which is madness as you have to have direction or have thought up in your head how you want it to look.

I can imagine. But IMO the best Foobar2k setup will be a configuration that suits the persons needs, no need to make it fancy.

Reply #4
This thread is targeting probably the biggest problem of Foobar, imo. It needs a simple way to distribute appearances if it's ever gonna be widely spread.

I could imagine some kind of "appearance" file format (capable of holding EVERYTHING configurable regarding the UI) that, when loaded, also automatically asks for and downloads missing plugins.

Reply #5
It has been discussed here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=48081

Peter will try to create separate files for each plugin with their configurations. It's a great step in the direction of a "user-friendly" way to customize foobar2000.

@THFS: For the moment, my manual and the wiki are the best ways to learn about fb2k and be able to set it up